Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Councillors and the council thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Last interview I seen her do she was talking about an iPhone battery and keeping the battery at room temp.

Fair play to her for getting free advertisement but she is a small dealer who less than 1% of the market will ever buy off her so honestly she is totally irrelevant.

When you see Adrian Kennedy doing an bit on it today you can imagine the type of people who are saying they will never buy EV.

Let them off in my opinion. Some people will never cop on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

My favourite bit is this. Pretty much EV scaremongering bingo - massive depreciation, check. happened to a nameless friend, check. complete lies about the value, mileage and offer, check. No manufacture or car model name? check.

"But not as much as the pal who paid £70k for his all-electric motor around the same time as me and was offered £27k for it last week — a 65pc drop, for a car that had only 5k miles on the clock"

His "friend" drove on average 63 miles per week in his car, yet was offered 65% off the retail value. Someone, somewhere, is getting an absolute bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Someone, somewhere is telling porkie pies for personal gain.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I see Ashford motors are getting a huge amount of free advertising with their anti ev stance. Great that they also admitted on their instagram that they exaggerated their claims, and that a "child would have known they were exaggerating." I'm not entirely sure thats how interviews work though to be honest, plenty of idiots believe the rubbish stated particularly if its not challenged. and then when people are challenging it, go running to instagram to say people cant handle the truth. an endless cycle of rubbish, with Ashford motors getting plenty of air time and new followers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭spudwiser

I reported them on Instagram for spreading false information. Probably won't make a dent but at least it blocks their account for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

More nonsense from this Neil Briscoe guy - it seems he'll print any auld quote from people talking out their behinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

I went into the Merlin website after reading that earlier. I could see two EVs on it. Hardly “full of used EV bargains”.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Merlin copying Ashford Motors and using the journos for a bit of publicity to sell their cars perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

The infrastructure is still absolute crap throughout most of the Island, we still take the Outlander at times especially going South West, West or North west, it's just too much hassle and the waiting on 50 Kw chargers in these locations and mostly single chargers and if one is dead you're fecked or if there's a queue.

I had thought in 2015 when I got the Leaf that things would have been much better by now.

There are many people with no home charging.

I still believe a Rex system should be offered now by the majority of auto makers, with the reintroduction of bio fuels and rumours of Efuel ( which deserves it's own thread ) Rex type systems should be reintroduced, in my opinion of course. Hydrogen can be burned directly in ICEs, I know there are still issues with storage for hydrogen but Efuels have no such issues and are a direct replacement for petrol and diesel.

I was thinking that the 2030 ban on ICEs can't happen because in reality BEVs are a long way off being a direct replacement for ICEs. What will happen is that people will keep their ICE for many years longer and that might not be a bad thing.

The cost of new cars in general is a deterrent but never before have so many new cars being purchased on PCP plans which I find a bit disturbing, yes, I'm on my 3rd PCP and knew exactly what I was getting into each time, knew I had no intentions of keeping a low range Leaf or i3 so it suited me, my budget included the balloon at the end but I fear that many people are buying cars on PCP without being fully aware of the implications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tippman24

I read somewhere that the CDU in Germany are supposed to be saying on their European Election Manifesto that the supposed manufacturing ban on ICE cars from 2030 should be abandoned. Might be a Golf Mk 9 in the offing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There are many ev owners with no home charger?

Doesn't sound right to me. I would have thought vast majority would have one. Doesn't make sense not to.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There isn't an EU ban on manufacturing on ICE cars starting from 2030 so that should be easy for them to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

With the grant it's only like 400 quid too ya?

I didn't use the grant and its cost me less than that to buy one and have it installed.

Just doesn't make sense to me to have an ev with no home charger. But each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭boetstark

Bloody hell. That's cheap.

I would have thought cables fuse board plus actual charger would have cost well in excess of 400 euro

Well the last charger was a replacement one, so all the cabling was already in place, just a change out.

But even before that, my 1st charger I bought 2nd hand, and a local spark fitted it for me. Still was very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mr Q

In the past you could buy your own charger from eBay etc. and have your local RECI fit it, then claim the grant.

So it would be free in some cases. The grant was 600 at the time.

I never claimed the grant, I always thought you'd have to jump through hoops etc to claim it. No doubt use a spark who was on some list and who'd charge you an arm and a leg for the install as they knew you were getting grant money, when an equally qualified local spark would do it at a fraction of the cost.

Might have been worthwhile if you were getting one of those all singing, all dancing charge points that tie into grid, so solar charging etc. Mine was bog standard so o was installing as cheaply as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah i picked up an eo mini for about 250 on adverts last year and had it installed at my parents house for another 200 by an electrician. grants inevitably mean invoices and higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mr Q

No it was very easy at the time, 2022.

Got the pre approved grant letter, purchased a unit on eBay and had the RECI that originally done the house install it. He wasn't on any SEAI list for this.

They paid out the grant without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

I'd say there is a danger of dealers selling PCP contracts to people who otherwise couldn't afford to buy a new EV or any new car, I don't think it should be pushed as heavily as it is because people are buying much more expensive cars than they would have on HP and that balloon payment is a deterrent to buy the car outright so most people will buy another new car and another until the realisation comes home that that balloon payment is going nowhere but I don't think dealers are explaining how it works properly or care as long as they sign on the dotted line they get their money.

I'm on my 3rd and last PCP and not because it's bad but because I'm done buying new cars, they are a waste of money and depreciate heavily. The cost of them has gone up a lot and the Government are making a lot of money on each new car sale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No list.

I bought my ABL charger on Facebook for €200. Paid sparks mate €100 to connect to fuse board and give cert. paid about €69 for RCBO and wiring (2017).

Then got €600 back on grant. Profit of over €200 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

I never bothered read it all, stressed when fuelling with petrol.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think the anti EV articles will die down over time . But It certainly looks like car ownership in general in the future is going to be more expensive than the past - a new “family saloon” type EV is way more than the equivalent say Ford Focus ICE would have been in 2019.

I think that’s what’s really driving this anti-ev agenda - as we see more accessible prices and of course range increases, this will become a thing of the past- but it’s not really the range, it’s the prices.

Im still at two minds whether to buy one- not because I’ve concerns about EVs- it’s just that I have an old car, but also we have another perfectly good ICE car - annual milage is a lot less than 4 years ago - I wish I didn’t have to buy right now - I need a second car but I don’t want to spend too much - pity my older car wasn’t so old 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Local ford dealer is advertising focus starting at €32,541 brand new. Also happens to be local MG dealer, the similar sized MG4 is €25,995 on the same website.

Used 2019 focus - 22k while 2021 MG ZS (bigger car, MG4 not yet available second hand) - €21850

Admittedly they are all family hatchbacks, not familysaloons but I'm not sure where this part of your comment is coming from

a new “family saloon” type EV is way more than the equivalent say Ford Focus ICE would have been in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Think I had 26k on my head for around 2019 for a new Focus - so that would still be nearly 25% more expensive today - EVs new are obviously more expensive still so main point really was upfront costs for EVs for the type of car you’re used to buying are in general a lot more money

Advertisement