Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The more free FUD that can be spread the higher the chance a buyer might just pause and end up shopping with a traditional outfit like hers. There is literally no downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Never did take anything she has to say seriously

She is getting a huge amount of advertisement for free. It's using the Michael O'Leary method of advertisement, say something outrageous and hope it gets the reaction from people, then milk it and keep milking it.

Fair play to her, the problem is wth other people giving her attention

if you had a business and a stupid radio station offered you a chance to advertise your busienss to thousands of customers would you turn it down? would you also play the straight card or go on and make stupid outlandish comment to get more clicks?

She is also claiming "unknown dealers" are complaining to her, well that is boll**ks. She is a tiny segment of the market, who cares if she does or doesn't sell electrics?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Newstalk are becoming more and more like Fox News every day I find, from the anti-SF, anti-deposit return and now the anti-EV articles it's a slippery slope

Don't mind anti-EV, but at least get someone who knows the difference between a hybrid and an electric car. The bit i seen on newstalk she is talking about iPhones and companies asking if you kept it at room temp. 🤔

How do you keep a car at room temp you might ask?

Obviously you park it in your sitting room and keep your sitting room at room temperature...

I'm sure there's a flaw in my answer somewhere... Can't see it though

• Advertisement

Somehow I think the interview might have got away from her and this sort of rambling sounds like someone who doesn't really understand the technology

Not a huge thing as most people don't. As I said fair play to her for getting the free advertisement.

I will wait to her more abotu these imaginary dealers she keeps mentioning that are calling her up and giving out to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I eagerly anticipate her return to selling electric vehicles. However, it seems her recent content is driven by the desire for online engagement. The value of secondhand EVs has declined in recent months due to substantial price cuts on new EVs, largely influenced by Tesla. While I respect differing opinions, some of the claims made are baseless. Nadia’s assertions about battery issues and other unsubstantiated claims lack factual evidence. It’s essential to separate sensationalism from reality. People should feel free to drive internal combustion engine (ICE) cars if they choose, but let’s avoid spreading misinformation. As for Nadia, her motivations appear self-serving. Perhaps in a year or two, when the demand for EVs surges, I’ll be there to remind her of these unfounded statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

What a load of ol' bollox.

So in her story, a fella used make it home with 2km of range left (how he'd see that anyway is beyond me, the turtle would be on), but if he charged his phone, he'd have to charge his car for an hour?! Who the fukk is he, Dom Jolly?

And "after the 8 year warranty and the battery goes, it can cost 20 grand to replace!".

One, why not commend manufacturers for giving an 8 year warranty? How many diesel Beemer drivers would love that when their timing belts/chains slipped?!

Two, when does a battery just "go"? It'll usually degrade over time, and after 8 years, they're all over 60% capacity. Otherwise they'd have been sorted under warranty.

Just because she's sold Taycans and Teslas doesn't mean she understands them. I'd wager she's sold manys a Porsche, but she'd not be able to swap a set of spark plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think she’s pretty sharp, using her tits to sell cars and calendars She knows her target audience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭boetstark

The major manufacturers must not be too sharp either.

Volvo rolling back on Polestar funding.

Apple scrapped plans for Ev vehicle

Bmw phasing out funding for their electric cars

Ditto ford USA

Dealers are slashing prices on new EV's

Ev days are numbered , hydrogen seemingly is the way forward

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

"electric cars are too expensive"

Dealers are slashing prices on new EV's

Cant make everyone happy, and LOL at the hydrogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

• Registered Users Posts: 64,912 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@boetstark - "Ev days are numbered , hydrogen seemingly is the way forward"

QFP ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is it any wonder she can't shift it if it's only got 12kWh!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The 'Battery will need to be replaced in 3 years' argument is by far the one I hear the most often from people who have never really done any research into how BEVs work (almost everyone)

It's basic Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt in that nobody can disprove it from personal experience, but anyone can come up with an anecdote that they saw on some social media post of one person who was asked for a ludicrous amount of money to change a battery in a nearly new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think the thought process there is that their phone batteries have degraded a lot after 3 years and EVs have batteries so it will be the same for them. And that poor knowledge is milked for all it's worth by those who stand to lose out in the transition from ICE to EV, be they petrochemical companies, indy mechs or niche ICE traders.

I eagerly anticipate her return to selling electric vehicles

She will have many years until the 2035 ICE ban, maybe even a few years more on top of that as I'm not sure how that ban will affect second hand cars. In fact I'd wager that with such low numbers of ICE's in that time the price of them will have jumped

Yeah, there is a nugget of truth, and there certainly was uncertainty when BEVs first hit the mass market in 2011 with the first gen Leaf, but in the 13 years since then, we have more than enough data to know that BEVs with proper battery managment software and hardware, can retain the vast majority of their energy capacity for the full service live of the vehicle.

In reality the biggest issue for the used BEV market is that new BEVs are getting so much better with every passing year, that it makes the 2nd hand models less attractive. This is a problem for people who bought expensive early adopter models with less mature technologies, slower onboard chargers, smaller capacity batteries etc, but right now, the current crop of BEVs for sale new in the market have more then enough range and charging capabilities to cover the needs to the vast majority of users in the mid range family car segments. over 400km of range is more than enough for the vast majority of families who have access to charging facilities at home or at work.

The BEV price war has already begun, and new car prices have already fallen across the ranges, so for people in the market for a new vehicle, there isn't really any good reason to delay their purchase, or purchase an new ICE instead other than the FUD factor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Did you think about these scenarios?

What EV did someone spend 50k on that can't get past Gorey without charging.

1 charger in Arklow. I would say there would very few that will buy an EV to solely use public charging. Any one driving past Arklow has lots of other options on route.

As for leafs they are old tech increasingly have less options due to CHAdeMO standard they use. But there's a few adapters likely to appear on the market..

https://youtu.be/wydql2N_F-k?si=GmBZR5u0USMtxabr

• Advertisement

If you don't need the range the drop in used values means an older used over becomes very viable option. Especially as a second car.

And while you wait for the hydrogen/solid-state-battery tech to appear buy our petrol/diesel cars

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Badger242

I tought this was an interesting and balanced look at EVs on the Science Weekly podcast from The Guardian. Worth a listen.

How green is your electic car?

https://open.spotify.com/episode/10EKMVDJ4rWvgL7rpRMKpB?si=X9QHW08zTWWE6h6rrHAoWg

Yep. I'd say 80% of 2 car households could ditch their 2nd ICE car for a BEV that has a range of less than 100km and still use that car for 90% of day to day journeys with no issues at all, keep the ICE for longer trips and save money on fuel, and maintenance. Short trips are bad for ICE cars, and are exactly what electric cars are best at (instant heat on cold mornings and evenings is brilliant in our 2017 leaf, it means we way prefer to take that car out in the mornings for the school run instead of getting up, pre-heating the Volvo to clear the windscreen and warm up the car before the school run)

Obviously the move to diesel doesn't suit anyone doing mostly very short local journeys. I think that's been forgotten along the way. Or the effect in local urban or city environment.

Certainly clears up a few things concisely.

However those who don't want to listen, won't listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭zg3409

What I am saying is that modern EVs are ok for 300km+ from home charging only. On round trips above 300km there is a risk that if you assume the single ESB 50kW charger will be available at peak time then there is a risk you may have a bad experience with your expensive car.

If you buy a brand new leaf today and go to Gorey motorway services then there is a high risk there that you will have to wait.

With smaller batteries the amount of times you need to public charge increase. There is still a long way to go on the public charging network even if you drive a Tesla but media articles are often totally slanted and incorrect and negative.

I am trying to stay on topic, EVs have their downsides but the media reports are often total bull.

There legitimately is a downside for the Leaf owners being reliant on Chademo. For example, I was in Loughrea the other day, they have 2 fast charging locations, one of them has 4 CCS chargers, the other has a CCS/Chademo station.

When I got to the Chademo charger, it had a Tesla plugged in while the 4 CCS only chargers were all empty...

Not the end of the world, but its still an inconvenience which is getting better over time

The most annoying thing about the Leaf, is actually that the AC charger is only 6.6kw (if you're lucky), so even if there's an AC 22kw charger available, the Leaf can only charge at 1/3rd of that speed

If the onboard charger could use 11kw, then it would take half as long using the more common level 2 chargers

I think a leaf is an ev best for someone who most of the time charges from home. Then it's not really much of a limitation.

If you want to use public charging more often then there are better choices as an EV.

• Advertisement

Where is someone going in a new leaf where Gorey is their only option.

Advertisement