Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Stop asking inconvenient questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's a good point you make and certainly is a restriction on the Nissan leaf fast charging. I would counter it by saying the average 2019 model leaf is about €3k cheaper second hand than the equivalent CCS enabled ionic. You can also buy a CCS-Chademo adapter for €1k, saving you a net €2k off the price

The adapter will allow your car to use either CCS or Chademo meaning you will have slightly more functionality than the ionic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Interesting this morning, a very out spoken garage owner on tiktok, always moaning about electric cars. Was on about a Leaf and charging port had gone, 4k or something he was saying, I think the part was 3k and services.

To respond a guy posted saying why would you go main garage for a part like that when car is out of warranty etc and if it was a combustion car you would get parts. Anyway he had a charger, same part, in a car for 500 quid. Valid point to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Guy I know is always regurgitating crap about EVs he gets from the tabloids, "oh those electric cars are bloody rubbish", getting painful to listen to

He's never held a driving licence 🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Irish Motoring youtube channel Nobby on Cars did a video today about the anti ev sentiment he's been faced with when making his videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I feel like he might be in the wrong job cause a lot of his complaints are just part and parcel of making YouTube videos in general.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I linked Calvin in EV Breakers to that video. He had an On Board Charger for the leaf available for €500.

I bought from Calvin before. Nice guy to deal with.

+1

Nothing major in the complaints but he gives a decent review and mostly is fair and on the middle. I’ve never found him to be biased away from EV’s and @MarkN has had some nice ICE cars over the years. Still has his toe in the radio scene so that’s his side hustle 😂

No harm questioning him but it’s still the same old statement that runs true….Non EV owners worry and stress about EV’s more than actual EV owners!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have a YT channel (not super active recently), majority of my videos are about a fairly niche topic (arduinos) and in general there is not a lot of negativity around that type of content.

But I have branched out into other bit of content a few times, robot lawnmowers for example and there is some difference in the type of comments I get on those videos! And I guess there are even some similarities between the types of comments on EV and robot lawn mower videos, people giving out about this "new" approach for doing things going against what has been done for years, that despite being cheaper and potentially more convenient in some use cases, you'll pry their petrol tools out of their cold dead hands before they'd use a robot lawn mower.

People complained that im lazy, that its too slow, that they don't have pretty lines and then on the exact other end of the coin, people complaining about how bad lawns are for the environment and they are a waste of water (that is certainly not an Irish complaint!). It's the only video on my channel that has ever received comments about my appearance too :D

I got offered a robot lawnmower for review that was about to be on kickstarter, when I told the company i'd be happy to review, but I'd have to include a portion of the risks of backing something on KS, they stopped replying. When I made a video about that mower and mentioned this, people were complaining that I was just sour that they didn't send me one. I said in the video that unless the product is already made, there is no way they will ship on time, sure enough they didn't ship on time, but I still had people commenting when they received their product, a year late I might add, that I needed to eat humble pie!

But thats just part of YT, you throw something out there and hopefully people like it. I'm sure the majority of people who watch enjoy his content, he just needs to write off the minority as noise. I couldn't believe how many times he brought up the Stellantis comment, he was clearly really bothered about this, who gives a crap, just ignore them!

I'm sure he'd like to grow his channel more, but as YT starts recommending the channel to more and more people, your going to get more and more of the negative people too, so he's only going to get more negative comments, no matter what he does.

It's easier for me cause its not my job, a video does well or badly, there is still food on the table, so I do have sympathy , I do think people think its a much easier thing to do that it is, but the negative comments are just part of it unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

interestingly he is saying that a portion of the negative commenters are people who themselves or someone close to them had bought a particular ev brand or model and got stung on (long overdue, consumer friendly, opening Evs to more than just rich people or early adopters) price cuts and have rants against that model or brand because of the price cut.

Funny how many anti ev people get wound up because Evs are so expensive but he is seeing Ev owners getting even more wound up because they have ceased to be expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Most ridiculous article in the Belfast Telegraph today. John Laverty dumps his electric car but couldn't be happier. Article is replete with image of what I presume is an EV in a skip.

Only issue is that Laverty was actually driving a PHEV and just didn't want to use his petrol engine.

So he got rid of it for a petrol car. I don't understand myself how someone could write an article like that and not be embarrassed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

i'm sure i read on the forum last week about a guy in england who had some sort of failure with the braking system in his Jag I-Pace. The car sped up to 90mph or so before the cops boxed him in and forced the car to a stop. needless there was an anti ev vibe to the stories and it wasn't long before a rabid mob formed in the comments section of the articles which reported the incident and of course on twitter.

lo and behold this week the geezer was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and causing a public nuisance after jaguar looked into into the incident for the police. looks like he made the whole thing up to try and get off with speeding. love the way JLR put it "‘Where there has been an investigation into reports of uncommanded acceleration, they have been confirmed as driver-commanded application of the accelerator pedal." 🤣

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭josip

I must admit I had to google him to see what he looks like. I was not disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭v10

Another EV bashing Irish Independent article, this time not even and EV but a PHEV !

<<snip>> do not post paywalled articles

Post edited by liamog on

OP would you not just post a link as opposed to copying and pasting the article across multiple posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How in the jaysus could anyone have range anxiety in a PHEV, proper uneducated fool.

• Advertisement

Just another motoring journalist wing a door. Maybe afraid of the hands that feeds them. Or the lack of buyers for physical papers so he needs to have some clickbait.

Keep the life hack in mind!! Can be very useful 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

My favourite part has to be

The task invariably meant using the car’s clever regenerative deceleration — resulting in other drivers blaring horns in anger at the slowcoach idiot crawling towards a set of traffic lights.

In 7 years of driving cars with some level of regen I've never had a person behind me beep the horn whilst approaching a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I don't think he even had one. It's not realistic at all, doesn't read like my real world experience. I've had phev and bev.

He never mentions a model or make or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And it's the most read article now on the Indo website. His job is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Didn't realise he was John Laverty, ex-motorcycle racer, and brother to two very successful World Superbike racers. Clearly a family love for petroleum...and what harm.

Rubbish article though, I don't think his professional future lies in journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Rubbish article though, I don't think his professional future lies in journalism.

He did a newstalk interview earlier and they also got the car dealer lady (Ashford?) to come on too to add more salt to the wound!

Range anxiety in a PHEV!! 🙈... he needs his ar*e kicked! He's getting his clicks I suppose!

Advertisement