Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2023/24 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

-2c here in carrick on shannon ground is all white

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Temperature risen to 3.6c now with a breeze starting to whip up

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Quite wet in Arklow and windy overnight and yesterday

Wind NE gusting to near 50kmh

Air temp currently 4.7c

3.2mm since midnight

10.8mm past 24 hrs

Not pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sharp frost overnight. 2 climate stations recorded -5. Some wintry showers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another damp morning here in Meath, no frost here since Friday. Hopefully when we get the next cold spell it will be a bit more eventful compared to this one. Best thing about the current spell is the 1 week break we got from the Atlantic, so I got more walking in than usual given the time of year. The garden has also recovered from it's very soggy state up to 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So tonight will probably be the last frost for a while. I have enjoyed my walks through the forests in this weather. If it must be unsettled, I hope we get a proper storm at some point. The vortex might be too disorganised for that, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hard frost in Galway this morning. Beautiful morning since the sun came up. Blue skies and crisp. Perfect winter weather. We have had very little rain over the past 2 weeks. I can see it in the river/lake levels.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Still very windy and cloudy in South wicklow

Rains stopped though

With a temp of 3.8c,that wind chill is brutal

Wicklow mountains are snow covered so I'd imagine drifts up there

Low temperature and ice 🧊 warning ⚠️ for the west and Midlands tonight

I just read that this is going to become an El Nino Modoki winter. I think the winter of 2009 featured one too

• Advertisement

Oh yes please I remember 2009 I was in 5th class and got a good week off school

Rained for an hour or so this evening. Will be icy later.

Went for a walk just now. Roads are lethal in Galway on back roads. Beautiful starry night.

I will really miss this calm dry cold spell.

There's still plenty of chances for this type of weather , where only 4 days into meteorological winter ,hang in there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

I was out at 7am for a run. Stunning sky with the different constellations shining brightly above. Diamond like frost sparkling on the road. Fresh and crisp.

What a way to start the day.

Lovely frosty sunny morning in Galway. I brought the dog down to Lough Corrib for sunrise and it was glorious. The water levels have returned to near summer levels due to 2-3 dry weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Another damp morning here after a night of wind and drizzle, no frost here since Friday, bit of an underwhelming cold spell this has been however I really appreciated the dryer days for walking and getting the chance to dry the lawn out somewhat.

Out of curiousity, are you running on the road or on a track? I'd say the roads were iffy this morning. I wanted to go for a run last night but it was lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A chilly -4 at Markree Castle at 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

On the back roads in rural Leitrim. I'm 65 therefore for 'run' you could easily substitute 'jog'.

The roads are bone dry at the moment around these parts. I have one of those lights that attach to the head. This obviously helps.

• Advertisement

Frost lingering, grass still white. All change tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Latest ECM seasonal is out. Shows a significant Greenland blocking signal for January-March 2024 and a very very strong -NAO signal for February. The month by month breakdowns as well as the rest of the C3S suite of models come out on the 10th-12th.

Interesting but just for fun.

Back to normal here in Meath, feels fairly mild in the sun, a great dry sunny day to be out and about, making the most of it before the muck sweeps in overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

High of 5.7c here today and the frost has remained in the shade. Some of the back roads have remained icy all day

Freezing here in carrick but won't feel the milder air till after midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Only the 5th day but I notice my monthly max and min are a mirror -plus and minus 3.8°C 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

The coldest day of the cold spell for us.

it was very close to an ice day , frost has stayed all day in spots away from the sunlight. The soil temperature will have gone down a bit during this cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Ditto in Galway.

To be honest, I'll be glad to see the back of this cold spell, more so because I'm sick to death of that constant low winter sunshine. Everywhere I go its glaring and screaming into my face. Really extraordinary how sunny November and so far, this December has been. Haven't we had enough of that all summer? Give me gloom and storm over this any day!

New Moon

Welcome back paddy1:) I have to say I could not disagree more, but each to his own. The milder air is already making its present felt here now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Unusual that you are feeling the milder air already up there. Has been below freezing here for over 2 hours now, which is actually the earliest the frost has set in since the start of this spell.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement