Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2023/24 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

Fairly windy out there tonight in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 21,837 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Came on to say the same thing, Portlaoise.

Funnily enough, I always seem to sleep well when the wind is howling outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

At its worst in NCD now i think, some big gusts coming through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Just back from the evening walk with the dog in Trim. Bit of drizzle and a light to fresh breeze. Nothing at all out of the ordinary. Have I missed something or are the strong winds south of me?

Post edited by highdef on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

My dog was hesitant to go outside all day and night even for wee with the howling wind and rain.

It's definitely south of you (south Wicklow based here). Husband said roads were bad with torrential rain and wind coming home from Arklow this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A fowl day. I felt colder today than at anytime during the cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

After 10 consecutive cold days (i.e. less than 10°C) I'm back in double figures woo hoo

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

It feels lovely out this morning. Love snow and frost so the last week was horrible. Nice to feel a little warmth even if it is damp

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

With a dodgy heat pump (compressor due to be replaced on Monday) very happy with the double figure temps! 11.2c in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

One of the issues of modern dwellings. If the main heating unit fails and/or there's a power cut, modern home dwellers usually don't have the option of lighting a stove or any sort of heating source that heats via fire.

Two steps forward but one step back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Lots of rain in Cork now. Mild enough again here but bucketing down

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rotten weather in cork city.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Timistry

Got soaked on the way from the car to the office. Bad morning to be out in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Our old fashioned wood burning stove was a godsend during a December 4-day power cut. Not just for keeping warm but we were also able to actually cook on it. It took a while but we were able to get it hot enough to bring water to a near boil and get a pan hot so we were able to cook. Still though, I'd probably take an A-rated house over my E-rated one overall!

More on-topic it's been a rotten 18 hours or so in South Wicklow with another few to go. Nearly 30mm of rain since 3pm yesterday at the closest station I can get numbers for, with another 10mm or so to go and it was fairly gusty throughout although calmed somewhat during the night. I'll be happy to see the back of this spell later this afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Can you still get the SuperSer I wonder 🤔 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭tiegan

A deluge for a couple of hours here in south Tipp - just clearing now though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Good Lord it's miserable in Dublin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a total pig of a day here in Meath. Nothing more needs to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lovely sunny day in tipp after the mornings rain,can feel the warmth on your face

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rain has finally cleared, no wind and feeling much milder now, certainly warmer outside the house than in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I did a trip to the south of Iceland today, including a glacier hike/ice cave. It was interesting to observe the variations in the weather across relatively short distances. In Reykjavik, it was sunny with a gentle breeze like the past few days (the monthly average of 12.1 hours has probably already been exceeded 😂) but the south coast was extremely windy, definitely the strongest wind that I can remember. It was hard to even just stand still. Strangely, it has been completely dry, I find that the strongest winds usually come after a front clears. Further east along the south coast was cloudy and stormy while there was only a light breeze just a few kilometres inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Omg unreal pics I must take a trip to Iceland heard it's a beautiful country 😍 but pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gorgeous pics, have never seen anything like that, thanks for sharing!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Today/tomorrow we have our earliest sunset so at least the dark evenings won't be longer.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

What a change in the weather. Some amount of rain has fallen the last 2 days. The ground is still saturated from the summer and autumn. Desperate conditions for the land.

I'd rather be working outside in 1C than sat on my arse watching the rain belting against the window. Awful.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, the at least it will be mild line is no consolation.

The good thing is we shouldn't have it for weeks on end this time

tbh right now I don't mind a few weeks of mild knowing that the second half of winter could be alot more exciting. The house is also starting to warm back up on the inside which is a good thing.

For me the recent cold spell was the worst of both worlds. It felt properly cold but it wasn't that cold in reality so it was mostly a damp mess that still required the heating to be left on as much as possible so it was an expensive week and no scenes of winter to enjoy so the mild may as well come back for now. Hopefully much better luck for the next cold spell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some heavy squally rain moving across Northern counties.

Quite windy on Western coasts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement