Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2023/24 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Yep watch out for ice this morning.

What is it about freezing fog that can maintain ground temperature above zero? Air temperature here was between -2 and -3 all night but ground never froze in most places.

I've seen this other winters too. Is the fog preventing the ground heat from escaping as it would on a clear night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

At 8 am, only 2 stations nationally were below zero..... Belmullet and Malin Head, both at -1!

Pretty sure I've never seen that before!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭pureza

Was the rain here in the Southeast forecast yesterday,its a wet morning here

I don't recall it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Compared to yesterday's sunrise and lying frost, it's dull with heavy fog this morning. Definitely need a few Xmas lights to lift the spirits. Cars with no lights; eek; spotted on my walk.

-1 Meath.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Had a fair bit of rain last night here in Kerry, just below freezing still here out by the coast under dense fog, clearer in around Tralee and less frost at about 1.5 to 2C.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this weekend nowhere nearly as cold by night as what was predicted a few days ago in the models, no frost last night, temperature stayed above freezing all night and now a damp morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lovely day in my area of meath, cold, clear sky and sunny, big change from yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Heavy grass frost at around 11pm last night but thankfully roads were ok this morning. Lovely walking weather over the past 2 weeks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

As forecast fog lifted at midday and bright blue skies now.

5⁰ Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Lashing down rain in Kinsealy ATM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Stayed in bed until lunchtime as I'm not feeling great, so no idea what it was like this morning, apart from cold. Nearest station Casement was reporting 1C and fog, 3C now. It's dull and damp and feels colder than yesterday, but maybe that's just me. Surprised to hear on the radio that the Sally Gap is closed, didn't think it would be that bad this morning.

I love a cold snap, love the snow, but content with dry and crisp. Dreading the retun of rain and wind during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gugsy

Low cloud/foggy conditions in Galway City since last night, temp hovering around 1 degree since, 1.2 degrees atm

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Heavy rain now. D5

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Frack

edit : reply to hippodrome

This morning around phoenix park it was very still, damp cold air with the clearing fog but it cleared to lovely winter sunshine for a bit before clouds came in. A lovely day for winter lovers, you can’t beat how fresh the air feels on a day like today IMO

Hope you feel better soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Disgusting rotten day now in Dublin. It feels cold enough for snow to be falling but of course no, we get cold rain. Soaked from a recent walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

Lovely day here in Tralee. Got out for a long walk in the early afternoon, it was so still you cold hear a twig snap in the distance, just gorgeous.😍

Like a poster a few posts back, I'm also dreading the return of wind and rain. Plus my winter pet hate of temps in double digits.😩

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain now in meath after a fabulous day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

If anyone needs reminding that uppers are important it's so evident today!! Temps well down 2 -5 yet not a hint of snow or even sleet.

The gradual return to normal temperatures not far away but in the meantime tomorrow will feel particularly raw in a strong Northerly wind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

It all feels like a missed opportunity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Dazler97

England getting lashed out of it and alot of Europe too hopefully that happens us in January after Christmas 🎄 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

England taking all our snow again. The feckers:) Hopefully some interesting charts will show up in the next few days for the last 10 days of the Month.

It's dark and 6.4c up here in the Southeast at the moment

Very far from snow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's cold and frosty in the West. Last night was not as cold as forecasted, but tonight it certainly is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭giveitholly

High of 2.7 here in tipp today under a low blanket of cloud and fog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

-3, freezing fog of an hour ago has almost completely cleared.

Bit of a temperature contrast across the country -3c in northern Ireland to +6c in wexford

-4c now in Castlederg Co Tyrone

Raining here the past few hours

Rain that wasn't forecast yesterday to be around all day

There's nothing more annoying in weather terms than forecasts changing when forecasters look out the window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Glenveagh also -4 in the last update from there at 9.30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement