Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2023/24 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

1c in Sligo some v light rain. Prob 1c by morning. Some light ice on some cars. Max was about 5c. Will prob get mild around Wednesday. Then wel see. Storms near us most days. The traditional paths of these seem off these days so probably some will miss us altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

35 % chance of seeing the northern lights (the highest in the horizon in years )at my location and yet its foggy typical 🙄 maybe one day I'll see them again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some lucky folk got to capture it on camera this evening but it did not live up to its potential. It peaked too early in the day during daylight then the Bz (orientation of the solar wind) went positive/to the north and stayed that way up until just after sunset then went negative briefly before swinging around. The cloud also became a big nuisance. The moon started to rise after 7 and that pretty much put curtains on it really.

There'll be many more opportunities to come. We are still only approaching solar maximum when auroras usually have their highest chance of occurring within a solar cycle. Look at the number of occasions 2023 has given us and we're still not there yet. Solar maximums usually have 2 spikes - the first was probably in June 2023 and the next one is expected in 2025.

Nice one, thanks syran you lifted my spirits 🙏 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Finner recording light snow 1am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Very foggy up until 30 minutes ago. I am hoping this is a sign some snow showers might be on the way. Perhaps a dusting by morning if we are lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

So maybe, just maybe..

https://x.com/xruiztru/status/1730631840594043241?s=20 (sorry seems X doesn't allow embedding anymore)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Lowest temperature of the year overnight -3.8°C (going back to 17th January -3.7) N Tipp

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Wow that is a sad reflection of how mild we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭pureza

Gorgeous frosty morning here near Arklow

Was -3c earlier,now around zero

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

4.2C here atm out by the coast near Tralee, icy start but roads not too bad and seemed to have been well gritted even though black ice around the house . Good clear spells and sunshine, there was drops on and off, some beefy looking clouds about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I jumped the gun there was no snow overnight. It has clouded over with some light rain , but it's still frosty across the landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

I've really enjoyed the weather this past week and hope it continues for a while. My ideal winter weather. Comfortably cold, dry and still, though rain here in Tralee yesterday evening spoiled it a bit. Like summer heatwaves, we only get short bursts of winter cold waves, but I love every minute of both. Great to wrap up and go for country walks and then cosy hot drinks by the fire. Winter bliss, be fab if we got it for Christmas.😍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Unfortunately it won’t continue. Another mild run up to Christmas is odds on. Charts are rubbish this morning.

However it’s the post Christmas period and beyond that is still up for grabs. From what I’ve read there is a good chance of it turning much colder late December onwards. Goes without saying though, nothing is guaranteed given our geographic location on the edge of the Atlantic.

I just hope luck is on our side this winter (for once).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We get up to Tuesday evening out of the current cold and relatively dry spell and then the Atlantic is back in business most likely for the run up to Christmas. Back to the model watching over the next few weeks for hopefully exciting developments over the Christmas period and beyond. The winter forecasts are very encouraging for the second half of winter but that does not in any way guarantee that we will get what we want.

Orange snow warning issued for a small area of NW England,Cumbria including along the coastline. 2-5cm, locally 10 to 15cm before midnight from showers feeding in from the Irish Sea. Seems as if it was unexpected for there, pity we didn’t get the same luck today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful afternoon in Galway. Quite spectacular. I'd say it will freeze hard tonight.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Very dull day here in carrick on shannon but despite the cloud its very chilly out there 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Wet evening in Meath, been raining since about 3.30, roads will be very bad if frost sets in after this

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

Had some light rain showers around Athlone at lunchtime. Very annoying as temps were struggling much above 1c. Obviously warmer sectors somewhere in the layers aloft. But it cleared away and temps gave plunged below freezing now. Roads will be glass unless treated, I guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Grass frost already in Galway. Lovely starry night. Roads will be tricky alright.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Snaps of a sprinkling of snow at the Wicklow Gap today.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Northwest England experiencing one of the best examples of lake effect snow I have seen on these islands in 13 years....

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Some women's garden in Cumbria almost a ft of snow ❄️ this afternoon, I'll import the snow if I have to Ireland has zilch but winter has only begun

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The fog in the north side of cork city earlier was very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Even here it was poor compared to what it should have been, still nice to see nonetheless. It was a great day otherwise as seen below, so not too disappointed, -2 C max temperature and sunny. Today was similar but more high cloud and a bit colder, a few centimetres of snow are expected tomorrow so December is starting off well.

My stats for November are in now, not quite as good as I thought but still pretty great as far as November goes.

Mean temperature: 3.3 C (+2.2 C)

Rain: 44.7 mm (62% - driest since 2010, the LTA is actually very slightly less than Dublin)

Sun: 69.7 hours (181% - sunniest since 2010 and 5th sunniest on record)

1am vast majority of the main stations(18) above zero. 5 stations at 0c, Malin is -1, just oak park is colder at -2.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Cold & Foggy here in D14, 0C

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oak Park and Gurteen reporting 0c and freezing rain at 0500, however, I assume that may be an assumption as they as they are both AWS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Raining here the last hour in South Tipp - place is like glass where the rain has frozen on the bits that didnt defrost the last few days. Driving is treacherous on the side roads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement