Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Wow! That's some Summer you have lined up for yourself! Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Off to Wide Awake on Sat.

Some good names there too. Enjoy, Woody. Full report appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Yep, will do squire.

Ah Willy Vlautin lads. Absolutely brilliant night in the Sugar Club tonight. First half chat between Roddy Doyle and himself, the pair of them obviously get on great together, lovely to hear Willy just chatting, great stories, just an incredibly engaging, down to earth fella. Second half Willy and a guitar, songs from right through his career, Richmond Fontaine, Delines, the whole thing. Finished off with a bit of a Q and A. Then spent forever signing **** on stage, chatting, posing for photos. What a cool guy. You can keep your 3 Arena. This is the **** I want to be seeing. Loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

English Teacher in a sold out Whelans tonight were a bit of a mixed bag (my two mates thought the same). Hot new things? Don't believe the hype i would say. The main problem was the setlist pacing; started off and finished lively but a great big chunk of slow songs in between were a killer for me. I've not experienced a midset lull like that outside of far too many Spiritualized gigs. I had completely lost interest and just wanted to get out of there by the time they picked up the pace again. In saying that they were rapturously received throughout, to the point that they ended up saying this was the best night of the tour. They seemed genuine! Did an encore of New York I Love You.

Personally i'd lump them in with what my mate terms 'Student Project Bands' (Squid, BC,NR, Black Midi etc). Initially, those kind of acts seem interesting then eventually you realise they're just boring. I fear English Teacher will end up there pretty quickly to my ears but i'd be willing to give them another go. Tip of the hat to the ever reliable Of All Living Things as support. I think they actually moved up a gear tonight. The loud & noisy parts seemed louder and noisier and the new songs sounded good. Kudos to the singer for saying "bless you" without skipping a beat in between her vocal when someone had a massive sneeze at the end of a noise section😀

Next up are Les Savy Fav on Friday and McClusky on Saturday.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bryan Adams, 3Arena, 21 May

• Registered Users Posts: 38,152 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looks good for his age and his voice is still amazing

Seen him back in 2016, think he'll do a Bruce type tour sooner rather than later. He's only 64 years young

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

64 is young for these guys

I've now seen 98 different performers/band members aged 70 and above at the time, 6 of them over 80 (and 4 now dead!!)

Post edited by Beasty on

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Only been to 2 gigs in 2024 before no. 3 last night - which kicks off possibly my busiest ever run

Yeule → Forbidden Fruit → In the Meadows → Beyond The Pale → LCD/Idles → Suede/Manics → Nils Frahm.

Then it's time to squeeze in a family holiday before heading to ATN.

Anyhow, back to last night and the very very excellent Yeule. One of the best purveyors of "indie pop/rock" that I've heard lately (although that genre classification is a very fuzzy one I acknowledge…). The purists likely don't appreciate all the pre-recorded vocals (they don't just mime but they also don't hide their use of pre-records) however for me, it was a very good show with quality tunes all the way. Looking forward to what they do next.

• Advertisement

Blasting a bit of Les Savy Fav on the 126 at the moment. Looking forward to seeing if these boys live up to their live reputation in Whelan's tonight. All very exciting, I must say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I read that as Roddy Collins and had a wtf moment

Les Savy Fav fecking unbelievable in Whelan's. Is there another front man in the world that could have given the performance Tim Harrington did tonight? Spent a large part of the night in his underpants, most of the gig in the crowd, walked around the OUTER ledge of the balcony, and belted out every song like his life depended on it. I mean probably some people would prefer him to just deliver the songs without any of that faffing around but I LOVED it. Special gig. They have some incredible songs. 'Hold on to your genre', 'Sweat descends', 'Let's get out of here', absolute classics. Brilliant night.

Yep. Great frontman. Why? 'Cos it's obvious he has to do it and doesn't see it as something a lead singer is expected to do to entertain the audience. Funny with it too. I must admit i had deep reservations for tonight. I was very worried we were going to get some dreadful noughties/Pitchfork/hipster/blog-band rubbish but those fears were soon allayed. Much beefier sound live and way better than the records. Recommended if the chance arises.

You actually agreeing with me is the cherry on the cake, Dreamweapon. A night for the ages.

Mclusky very good in the Workmans tonight. 80 minute career spanning set of fast, noisy punky tunes with a couple of slower ones. All interspersed with funny banter. For a 3-piece they sure do make a racket and time hasn't diminished their abilities. I've often thought they sound like a more aggressive Pixies at times. Is that just me? Probably the Steve Albini production that does it. Not so noticeable live mind you. They did a nice piss take about Albini actually! Glad i finally got to see them and will happily do so again should the opportunity arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Just in the door and the trip to the Capital city to see Mclusky & was well worth it. Loved it. Loud ,fast and loads of energy. Nice self deprecating humour - not too precious & good crowd buzz too.Not sure what the perspex screen around the drummer was about though. Nice to hear mention of a " new song" in the set - prospect of something to come.

I'd def catch them again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭tommythecat

They were great. When he said that last gig was 5 years ago I nearly died. I would have sworn it was 2 at most!

The perspex screen has to do with dampening the sound going towards the singer. He was wearing headphones on all songs bar the two quiet ones. So my guess is he either has some hearing damage and it was hearing protection or else it he doesn't like actual in ear monitors so was using the headphones in lieu of them.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Yeah, Falco has hearing damage which is why he was wearing the ear defenders. They cancelled their Australian and US tours a couple of years back due to it. https://x.com/****_rock/status/1596156721902370819

Also they played two new songs in the set. Released last year, have a listen here: https://mcluskymclusky.bandcamp.com/album/unpopular-parts-of-a-pig-the-digger-you-deep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Thanks for the link to those songs @ Dreamweapon

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭T.V Eye

Set was pretty much perfect.

Falco's banter was on point too "20% of nothing is still nothing"

Be great to get a Future of the Left gig here at some stage.

Post edited by T.V Eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Best quote of the night for me when a few people starting clapping along. "no clapping, this isn't T in the Park" 🤣

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Went to The Empire in Belfast last night to see Light Years (formerly Pearl Jem). They were excellent, as usual.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭corm500

Rod the mods gig in Kilmainham last night was pretty epic. Even the rain couldn't dampen it. Great setlist too.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭mgkelly

These lads played at Bearded Theory. That lead singer's a lunatic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Northernsoul

Just back from Bearded Theory. Nice smaller (15k)fest that usually but didnt sell out this yr. Loads of old english punks, very few Irish. Friendly northerners crowd. Saw the following, and I’m an electronic head, but my favourites were Lamgrini Girls and Bob Vvylan. Dry Cleaning were the worst act Ive ever seen on a main stage. Not my vibe at all.

Future Islands

Lamgrini Girls

Dutty Moonshine Big Band

Bob Vvylan

Dexys

Dry Cleaning

Ferocious Dog

English Teacher

Dynosaur Jnr

Amyl & the Sniffers

Dry Cleaning

Orbital

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Listening to a bit of Bob Vylan lately as he's playing 2000 Trees in July, and been impressed too.

I was wildly impressed until I realised that the guitars are prerecorded, which has taken the shine off a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Northernsoul

Rage against the Machine meets Stormzy vibes! New fan.

Advertisement