Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch Freedom Party wins general election. *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

right but if they carry on as is, farming will be f*cked anyway?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A lot of people find comforting lies, particularly simple ones to be preferable to the truth.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

As opposed to people starving on a planet that adds 150 million people each year (that’s 23 Irelands more people every year) with the bread basket of Europe currently carpeted by land mines and overrun by Orcs

take a wild wild guess as to where these hungry people then migrate towards?

Instead of working with farmers there was an attempt to bully them in Netherlands and it backfired

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I wouldn't say we're far off a hard line immigration party sweeping elections here as well. Like solely elected for that stance.

The silent majority have a breaking point and I think we're close to it. The loudest minorities wo t learn from these examples though.

They'll just keep shouting their crazy heads off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

but you realise that if they continue on as is, as the farmers party want, the soil and water in netherlands will all be contaminated and they wont be able to farm any more?

but that'll stick it to the wokes alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Austria is next up in 2024, the far right party on course for 30%+, their last massive corruption scandal forgotten already

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭acceletor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭malinheader

I agree and we all know what the main persuasion points pushed to get the UK to leave.

The failings and disregard for proper immigration into this country could well lead to a similar situation.

It's not a vote for the far right in Netherlands in my opinion but a vote for change.

[citation needed]

I suspect the farmers on the ground know better what’s good for their land and business than a green ideologue on talk forum in another country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hardline on immigration. Could be any of the existing parties changing their spots or a brand new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭acceletor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's the thing though. It's about xenophobia and ethnic nationalism. Nothing else. They couldn't care less about farmers, Dutch or otherwise.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Tork

I assume no other political party in Austria is putting its hand up and saying "Wait a second, we need to talk about immigration"? That's why people are starting to vote for the Melonis and Wilders of this world. They're the only ones who aren't clapping their hands as migrants come in. Most people exist somewhere in the middle of the "All migrants are great, let them in" and "Deport them all" spectrum. Few if any political parties acknowledge that, and it's the same with the mainstream media (shudder....I hate that phrase but I can't think of another just now). When reasonable people try to argue that there's good migration and bad migration, that there are problems, and that there needs to be a cap on the number of migrants any country can take, they're shouted down. They're labeled as far-right or bigots. When you suppress reasonable debate in the way that has been happening, it's no wonder people turn to these parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...it ll be interesting to see what happens when these type of folks get settled in here to, what horsesh1t they ll bring....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

The thread title reminds me of all the people who thought Sinn Fein won the last general election here just because they were the largest party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭TokTik

The EEC, which became the EU started as a trading bloc.

It seemed like a fair enough title. Enough media outlets reported it this way and you can't say that VVD or anyone else won.

It didn't.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Bluewolf

If he ran for election here tomorrow he’d win by a landslide also.

people are very fed up and also sick of the two side of the same coin political options here.

Nationalism in Ireland/Netherlands bad. Nationalism in Ukraine good. Or something like that?

Seeing that clown Martin who’s previously said about Ireland that “we need to move away from the backward thinking of nationalism” then volte face and say of Ukraine “They chose for themselves a simple flag . . . a nationalism which we and so many others can relate to.” proves that politicians don’t care about what they say, they’re just snakes out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

Its nuts that Sweden now have a right wing government and this crowd in Holland top the poll. They were the two most liberal countries I can think of in Europe 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I suspect those complaining about how Wilders might be denied a chance to form a government had no problem whatsoever with SF being denied.

Regarding the "silent majority", 23.5% is very much a minority of voters. And turnout is reported as being 77.8% so it's not like that silent majority stayed at home.

“The EEC was designed to create a common market among its members through the elimination of most trade barriers and the establishment of a common external trade policy.”

You should contact the EU then, they have it wrong on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

Indeed

I haven't been for a few years but worked many years ago in my student days on the Tulip farms. The "soil" was fertilized sand. It's a fascinating country - really innovative and everything seems to function well - but there is a massive rural/urban divide. Interesting to see how this one pans out.

Different kinds of Nationalism. You know that.

I don't see "trading bloc" there at all so they don't have it wrong.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....no he wouldnt, at the moment theres enough sane voters to prevent this, but this will very likely be a different story in a few years time, especially if the next government or two are deemed a failure by more....

...also, thankfully we still have the pr-stv system, which is designed to make it difficult for such extreme outcomes to occur, even though it has its own issues, then of course theres our presidency elections, whereby such an individual has very little power, these are all good for us, which is helping us in maintaining some stability or normalcy in voting outcomes, careful what we wish for....

....yea we re in trouble, our major failures are hitting major tipping points now, more and more are starting to experience significant problems in regards getting access to their most critical needs, housing, health care etc, the whole eu is in trouble now.....

Netherlands is the largest agricultural producer in Europe last I checked

Lower food production driven by the Green ideology without consultation with the food producers in a world that adds a Cork size population every single day to this planet is a recipe for more migration into Europe

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

To be fair that was a few years ago. Wilders and the PVV were kept out in the last GEs in the Netherlands too.

It doesn't feel like a very nice country to wake up in today I can tell you that. Just hoping the rumored referendum on EU membership is kept at bay for another few years so that I can retain my Irish citizenship when going for Dutch citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Modulok

"But breaking Europe up will not be good for Ireland"

I don't know. The Europe of our childhoods is gone. In a few short decades when half or more of the population of western Europe stems from Africa and the Middle East, will Europe still be Europe? Not on your life. And some people will be claiming that the Europe of our youth was an imaginary past that never really existed.

I loved Europe for what it was. I don't much like the Europe of today, and I will like it even less as our nations and cultures become even more ruined and wrecked due to mass immigration from the rest of the world. We are witnessing in real time the absolute wrecking of 1000 years of heritage in the space of a few short decades. It is madness, and it is also probably too late to do anything about it. What the hell are we doing to ourselves?

• Advertisement
Advertisement