Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under-20 2024 Team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Correct, Joe Hopes plays for Ireland, not France. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭johnh6767

Yes England well deserved winners of the 6N they were the best team. No shame in coming 2nd, and the team gave it their best . We are spoiled after 2 back to back Grand Slams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Havnt seen all games - but in the backs O'Connor, McLoughlin and Gavin - Forwards - O'Connell, Edgobo, Spicer and Gleeson - though he was poor tonight maybe Ward - been injured but Sparrow too - its early days, but they all seam to have potential to make it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Always hard to know, probably Gavin, has the right athletic profile and Bundee, Henshaw, and McCloskey are all getting on now. I think Gleeson will get a lot of caps but breaking into the Irish backrow is not easy so he may have to bide his time a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ingo1984

Can't see spicer progressing. Has the size but not the athleticism. Be shocked if he got a pro deal in Ireland after academy contract, nevermind playing for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I thought Ward was the best player throughout the tournament. I really don't see many senior internationals with the exception of Gleeson. Gavin has potential but has a glut of Connacht players in front of him.

It will be interesting to see how Murphy; Spicer, Usanov and Corrigan fare next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Spicer will be given every opportunity to succeed.

Ireland simply don't produce many forwards with his size. The only only other comparable player is Devin Toner who ended up with 280 Leinster caps and 70 Ireland appearances. He wasn't at all athletically gifted in the vein of other second rows, but had an incredible career. You just can't teach size.

France scored some incredible tries! Worldies! Congrats to England, deserved champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Don’t think there really is a gut of players ahead of Gavin at Connacht. Rumours Daly and Farrell are on the way out. Bundee will be in his last season you'd imagine and will barely play for Connacht.

You’re then left with Forde, Hawkshaw and Ralston as the main options in midfield. Would expect Gavin to get every opportunity to take that 13 jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ingo1984

before the IRFU move one of them up the road to the big smoke.

I have been unimpressed with his performances, but given his size has a better chance of making it than O'Connell who had a better tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gavin should be fine at Connacht. Some of the players in front of him are not getting any younger so a space will open up for him over the next year or two I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Madeoface

Terrific finale. I thought Italy would have brought it home against Wales but they fell off badly. English were the best team so congratulations to them and to Ireland too, exciting times.

Having the games staggered was odd, I was flicking between them all on BBC iPlayer for about 40 mins.

A great tournament yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Wouldn't say that. I'd say O'Connell is a sure thing to make a good pro career. Isn't small, does all the little things right, good leader. Could easily see him take a spot like Ross Moloney with Munster. If not more. V impressed with him. Spicer worth seeing how he develops but certainly lacks rugby IQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ross Moloney was exactly what I was thinking. EOC looked a little underpowered in the final game but he had an excellent tournament - he was great in the lineout, got around the pitch and showed good feet before contact to help his carrying.

Spicer has another season at u20 level which makes a hell of a difference, as last year EOC looked quite poor to me. A year of strength and conditioning will be huge for him, people have pointed out his fitness but to me he actually looked a little underpowered compared to someone his size. However I do remember seeing him bounce Asher Opoku-Fordjour which is all I needed to make me curious about how he'll fare next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭clsmooth

EOC is listed at 6’7. Where’s the fear of him not physically being able to mix it? He’ll put on a bit of weight. Thought he was superb this year after being quiet last year. A good reason why we need to be patient with Spicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Who's back next year?

Usanov

Spicer

Corrigan

Bryn ward (?)

3 tight 5 forwards is good going

Obviously a world cup to go but just looking for context.

People being harsh on spicer. I think he's improved a lot from schools to now which is what you would hope to see in a player

I had him imcluded on my original list of players I think will make it , just think Spicer has a better chance given size, but from what I have seen , O'Connell is the much better player at this moment in time. Realitically it will be another 2 years before you can accurately speculate, given player devlopment and injuries etc.

I had McLoughlin on my list , dont think it will be as a winger , would like to have seen him at full back.

• Advertisement

It will take time for Spicer. He is still possibly growing. I remember Skelton in his early 20's and he had power but little else. His fitness was poor as was his ball handling. I'd equate Spicer to Toner, a possibility off late development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Walker is u19, Ward isn't. Luke Murphy is also u19. Calvey who played only one game is also.

I think there are really good options still in school so this isn't guaranteed at all but you could potentially see a front five of

Usanov, Walker, Calvey

Corrigan, Spicer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

This was a super interesting u20s year.

For one, a weaker than normal leinster year. They had lots of very interesting u19s but all raw to some degree. Depending on how they develop they could all be really good players next year. Usanov especially could be a star i think. Spicer could take a few years but you can't argue with that size.

Feel like we could look back at this as a really good hooker year in terms of depth. Wouldn't be surprised if all three turn out to be good pros.

Props were weak. Usanov needs time as he changed positions not that long ago but was good. Boyd was out of position unless that is going to be permanent.

I also thought half backs were relatively weak. Murphy very polished but quite stationary, small and not super athletic. Coffey looks like a good rugby player bad scrum half to me currently. You can see the potential there though.

Thought O Connell and Hopes look like future pros. O Connell made marked improvements from last year where honestly i wasn't super impressed. I can see it now for sure.

Gleeson being missed was pretty big. Thought Ward looked great even though i never really thought of him as seven. But teams seem to be trending bigger there. I liked edogbo as well. Did not lose many collisions.

In midfield, DeKlerk looked classy. Saw he played some ten in schools and ail and you can tell. Be interesting to see what happens in leinster academy with him and berman. Gavin had variable performance but the ceiling is very high with him.

McLaughlin looks inventive and very assured. Wonder if he would have been a better 15 for this team. I def get why they played O Connor though. Hasn't played a ton of rugby but is athletic and aggressive with a massive boot. I actually see a bit of james lowe in there.

Finally, Treacy is a steal for connacht academy.

The world cup will be interesting in terms of who comes in. You'd expect Berman at least. I'd like to see Hicks get a shot as well. Definitely would like to see more McKillop as well.

I was watching the Leinster senior cup the other week and Niall Smyth from Blackrock looked a bit of a freak. Calvey will have a years experience at this level to count in his favour but I would be surprised to see him starting ahead of Smyth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

The two pres centers look outragious for next year

The 12 is u18 and still in school I think? The 13 is small but from what I saw on YouTube, he is a fantastic wee player

It was a lesser Leinster representation. Smyth didn't get much of a look and both locks were u19. Sparrow went down injured and we didn't see Deay. But, I reckon McLaughlin and DeKlerk will make the academy. I'd say Coffee may as he did reasonably well! The world cup will be telling. Treacy looks a loss. Connacht poached a good player.

Boyd was our best player overall, imo. A cert for Ulster. Murphy and Sheehan showed up very well too. Munster should bring them in along with Edogbo.

Hows that 12 u18 he looks like a big u20 backrow

• Advertisement

Though smyth looked good in his brief appearance leinsters hooker rooms very good though

Advertisement