Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the greens be in government after the next general election?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Calling them center right doesn't make them center right.

You must show it with policies.

At the most they're centrist.

Irish politics are unusual cos we're influenced by the UK, EU and the USA so we end up a weird mix of left and right policies. Also we often have coalitions of different parties of the left and right spectrum.

So we're pro business and extremely capitalist with lots of lefty policies thrown in.

FG are definitely to the right of FF, SF, GP, SDs, Labour but that doesn't make them center right.

Centrist might be the best compromise.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You quoted a selective list of policies, none of which exclude a party from being centre-right. And then listed the core reasons they are centre-right.

The only unusual factor here is people thinking that comparing to the UK or US is in any way valid, considering they no longer have any (US) or a sizeable (the UK still has the Lib Dems) centre right parties.

If they had a single party majority and were left up to their own devices, they might veer right, but even then I'm not sure. I'm just speculating.

We're closer to the Nordic model and European liberalism but with lower taxes thrown in.

I'm comparing us to the UK and US cos they've similar culture and I have some knowledge of their politics.

SF call themselves left wing and marxist but have a huge amount of anti-immigrant voters.

Does that mean they're really far right?

SF have been in power in NI for decades but has much lower social welfare than us.

Does that mean they're really center right but call themselves left wing to appeal to voters who are disenfranchised by the traditional big parties in Ireland?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

SF in Government in NI are not left wing and their recent shifts down here are moving their ROI operation more towards the centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of course they are.

Its that old truism with SF; if you don't care for their policies, hang around, they've got others!

Bunch of grifters.

• Advertisement

They're veering right cos they want to get into power.

They should sort out NI first before they try to govern us.

We are way more expense, in college fees, compared to the rest of the EU. Yes there is means testing for very low income families but it is very low, relative tot he cost of missing a SUSI grant.

Our general social welfare rate is below EU average and many soc dem countries have stronger supports for recently unemployed

The person trying to claim they were low and that our welfare rates were high and that all proved FG were centre left is the one to debate that minutiae with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

100% correct. It's also usually thrown about by those who get confused between FG's actions in coalition governments and FG's core values.

Or it's an objective view of their consistent policies over many decades which puts them center left.

SF are more right than FG if you view their policies. It's easy to say you're on the left, much harder to actually implement liberal progressive policies.

Can you really say Simon Harris is centre right?

SF candidate in Rathdown Tracey isn't even on the Council, very low profile. It could be one of the very few constituencies where they don't get a seat.

Rathdown should be ripe territory for SDs also, but they've never had a credible candidate in the area either.

CM is probably safe as a result.

I wouldn't agree that ER is safe. That constituency will be very tight, with Bacik, Ryan, O'Callaghan all fighting it out.

When you say "their consistent policies over many decades", are you referring to their actual party policies or their actions as part of coalition governments over many decades?

Same sex marriage and reproductive rights were core FG policies. They campaigned for them. It wasn't a compromise as part of a coalition.

Those are solid center left policies.

I know Leo is on record as being against same sex marriage but he changed his tune, so did Barack Obama.

FG are a mish mash of left and right policies so maybe the best description is that they're centrist.

Fiscally they're right, socially they're left.

FF are the same.

They're definitely low corporation tax, low regulation, pro business.

The IFSC was a haven of unbridled capitalism and maybe still is. It also was a key factor in turning our country around just before the Celtic Tiger which lifted half the country into upper working class and middle class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I'm hoping the current government stay in power but I'm not confident of that happening.

Although obviously not perfect and they've made lots of mistakes, there's a huge amount of experience and competence in the current government. Also all the personal connections they've built up in that time.

There's a lot of cognitive dissonance in those two sentences. They're incompetent. They're experienced at being incompetent. 'Personal connections' with who? Owners of vulture funds? Developers? Privatised businesses that used to be public? FF have literally bankrupted the country twice in my living memory.

I really like the work Eamon Ryan is doing. Also the housing crisis is at an inflection point too.

What work?! We have a Green Party in government, with ministries, and they've achieved... what, exactly? More roads? Still no more rail. A Climate Action Plan that doesn't go near far enough, doesn't address the polluters, doesn't facilitate the disruptors that could make a difference (Dublin Bus have electric buses sitting idle because it's taken over a year so far to get planning permission to install charging infrastructure!), a forestry plan that's essentially "plant as much sitka spruce as possible, claim that as carbon banking, ignore that it'll all be cut down and used as wood pellets!! Soooo many missed opportunities!

Don't even get me started on housing! The current crisis has arrived after who, exactly, has been in power, overseeing it all? FF. And FG. Literally for the last 100 years. 100 years!

I don't trust SF in power whatsoever, but maybe if they're in coalition with FF, it might keep them under control.

I get "better the devil you know", sure, but look at the state of the country under FF and FG - two cheeks of the same arse! I'm no Shinner, but how many tribunals, inquiries and crises does it take before you go, "Actually, when Stormont's been running, they've not been ****. Maybe - just maybe - it's time for change?

Any party that has the likes of Johnathan Dowdall and Paddy Holohan as councillors I want nothing to do with.

Seems they kick them out fairly pronto if there are any problems? Google "councillor convicted" - lots of FF, FG and independent councillors with fingers in pies. And other places. And fists in faces. And not always kicked out, or allowed to rejoin after a suitable period in the wilderness.

Strange how the party leader at the time didn't subscribe to these 'core FG policies'?

FG were dragged under severe protest through the marriage equality and repeal referendums. They managed to correctly judge public opinion at a fairly late stage. Their 2011 manifesto has no mention of these 'core FG policies' that you mention. Are you misremembering?

I don't have time for proper response right now but FG performed an economic miracle.

We've the 3rd highest median salaries in the EU. When you adjust for taxes and cost of living, we're 9th in the EU. I'm not counting Luxembourg.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/en/web/products-eurostat-news/w/ddn-20231103-1

We're around Sweden, France and Finland in terms of standard of living, above Italy and Spain comfortably. Hardly the shithole people claim we are.

We were the poorest country in Western Europe.

They made a balls of housing but it seems to be a global problem in many other western cities.

The housing crisis is turning a corner right now.

Read the " Housing Supply Coordination Task Force report."

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae27-housing-supply-coordination-task-force-return-reports-q1-q4-2023/

They campaigned for both.

Did Simon Harris seem like he was being dragged along?

• Advertisement

None of the SDs I know would jump at it. Remember one of their former leaders walked out of a junior ministry becaue of FG corruption. A load of them are former Labour - the ones who didn't want to go into government with FF.

Solar panels: too little, too late. Why doesn't every government department, public building, school, hospital, local authority, etc., have solar on their roofs? Would save money in the long term and the money is there now to pay for it, or could have been borrowed at 0% interest over the lifetime of the current government. Why don't planning permissions for apartments, new houses, data centres, hotels, etc., have mandatory inclusion of solar PV in theor planning permission?

Cycle lanes: where?! Some local authorities have put some in, sure. Others have refused (Galway, I'm looking at you!) because it'd interfere with cars. DCC are building a cycle lane from Clontarf to Amiens St. Along the pre-existing cycle lane! (Sure, there are some new bits, but over half of it was already there!)

Bottle and can deposit scheme: After 4 years in power, a scheme is on the way that'll make it really hard for off licences and small breweries to cope with. And aren't bottles excluded because of lobbying? https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058063455/supporting-craft-breweries/p122

Forestry: The plan is "Grow loads of sitka spruce, because **** biodiversity. Then cut it down, and sell it for profit. If it gets burnt as fuel? Well, what do we care, we've made our profit and claimed the carbon credits!"

The Simon Harris who "until recently he saw no reason to change Ireland's restrictive laws"?

Yes, he was a great campaigner, after he worked out where the majority opinion was sitting.

These were absolutely NOT core FG policies.

Same sex marriage and reproductive rights were core FG policies. They campaigned for them. It wasn't a compromise as part of a coalition.

Those are solid center left policies.

You can be economically centre-right (all the way to neoliberal) and culturally/socially centre-left (so long as those policies don't effect "the economy"). Things like work-life balance, shorter working week, universal basic income, etc., which would be viewed as centre-left mainstays, don't get any support from FG.

Eamon Ryan said last year that every school will get free solar but nothing's happened, but I'm not supportive of this policy.

In terms of "bang for your buck"/"economies of scale" solar farms and domestic solar are much better, so I'm not supportive of public buildings getting free solar.

I don't have any data but Dublin's cycle lanes have increased exponentially, particularly since Covid.

There's loads of native forestry schemes.

If they campaigned for them, they're party policy.

Sinn Feins policy was murdering innocent people. Should we judge them on that.

I have Richard Bruton out my way. In 2016, he was refusing to say if he supported Repeal: https://www.thejournal.ie/8th-amendment-td-survey-2772559-Jun2016/ By 2018, he was at least saying he supported Repeal but was undeclared on the 12-week clause: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/revealed-where-does-the-cabinet-and-others-stand-on-repeal/36545713.html

Don't recall him actively campaigning for either, though I could be wrong.

I also have Terence Flanagan out my way. He campaigned against Repeal.

He had rejoined FG by the time of the referendum and all; after stropping out to Renua (and losing his seat)

Yeah same in FF, some of them were against.

At least they're honest.

But it's an irrefutable fact that FG campaigned for both policies.

And there was me thinking that party policy was written down in manifestos, so the electorate could judge and vote accordingly.

FG came very late to those particular issues, long after the Citizens Assemblies led the way.

• Advertisement

People grow, mature, become better informed. They're human beings.

Barack Obama is on record as being against gay marriage, so is Leo.

If they answered honestly, would they say they changed policy to win votes or they simply grew and matured and changed their mind accordingly.

Advertisement