Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,602 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Often it's the managers you can't get. There is little training and absolutely no product knowledge done in most pubs. In the worst cases the manager has an open disdain for anything outside the core range.

Some young one who has only ever drank fruity ciders and Jagerbombs is just expected to guess if there are no senior staff around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I ordered a brandy and port once. Got served a brandy in a brandy glass and a half pint glass of port, both full of ice 😂.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Being offered a glass of ice with any bottle of beer is fairly common in Donegal. I worked in a pub growing up and I'd say the majority of people drinking Coors Light or Miller would have taken ice with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Erdinger is the only pint I've ever been served with ice already in it, came from a tap as well. I asked him to take it out and top it up, about 1/3rd of the glass was taken up when he'd started pouring it I'd say. In fairness to him, he said they'd had a load of Austrians in recently and they'd told him that was how it was drunk over there. He just gave me a brand new pint. I thought he was mixing up Austria and Germany but, nope, that's how I've remembered which country it was.

I've had looks from bar staff when requesting a wheel of orange in pints of blue moon, even though it is printed on the glass as a suggestion.

There's a Kerry barman in one of my locals who INSISTS on a three part pour for Guinness (lovely pint, in fairness).

There's an apocryphal story about Noctor's in Sherriff Street, where someone ordered a pint and a whiskey chaser. He asked for ice in the whiskey, but was told "sorry pal.......we don't do cocktails".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Must be the sweltering temperatures up there close to the Equator...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Ya because it's Coors light and Miller. Bottled lager and a glass with ice was very trendy particularly with women of a certain age.

But if you are gonna get German/Belgians or craft beer into a pub you are not doing your job if you don't explain the difference to the staff.

Up until a few years ago you weren't getting any German/Belgian or craft beer in Donegal though. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Tinter Box

Anyone know which pub in Temple Bar Conor McGregor has bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't really understand why people are so aghast at the idea of ice in beer or wine.

If a white wine is too warm for me , I'll put some ice in it. Why not? We do it with almost all other drinks. Actually, red wine is often served too warm and could benifit from a cube or two.

Likewise, I'd rather a beer with a bit of ice in it than one that I find too warm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Locke Bar in Limerick nearly always offer a glass of ice with their small selection of craft beers. Black Lightning from 9 White Deer, for example, a beast of a black IPA. They keep the beers in a really cold fridge behind the counter so I don't know what they're thinking with that suggestion.

I don't really put ice in anything I drink. Warm wine doesn't bother me and I sometimes prefer it. Even with coffee I drink espresso because I hate anything watered down.

The only exception is a cocktail where ice is part of the recipe.

The staff there just don't have a clue about beer. I used to constantly get draught beer in the wrong glasses too. As I said up thread I blame management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

There was some… discourse in this thread a few months ago re impending labelling laws re nutrition etc.

Tweet from Third Barrel owner piqued my interest.

Anyone got a bottling line for sale? Might be easier and cheaper to move back to bottles than deal with the bureaucracy **** show and cost that this mess of a return scheme that's coming our way. Small breweries and small off licences are gonna be hit hard!

what’s the story here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's the deposit return scheme, won't apply to glass due to lobbying by Rehab etc (although officially its cause we recover enough glass as it is - but we're also ahead of target on aluminium so that's bollox).

The labelling and verification requirements aren't hugely easy and are compulsory for the producer/importer.

Small off-licences will not be required to take bottles back, that is opt-in. Small importers may find it too faffy to bother with.

Complete pain in the hole for consumers too but what else is new.

I thought the EU was supposed to prevent this sort of anti-competitive crap, like MUP it clearly plays into the hands of the biggest producers.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ice in the glass to kill the taste of Coors?

I did see Ballykilcavan say they are switching some beers to bottles for the rest of the year to avoid complications of unsold stock at the go live. I'm surprised it's really needed with aluminium - probably the easiest to recycle as it is. I occasionally litter pick (when I get the community spirit urge) and far more coffee cups and take away wrappers than cans (and rarely beer cans at that).

I'd imagine it's aimed at households rather than littering. I worked for 3 years in waste management and found there is a large chunk of the population who simply do not bother with any sort of recycling whatsoever.

What exactly is the controversy with cans at the minute ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

The Ancient Romans and Greek famously watered down almost all their wine, all the time. Makes sense. Need to not be to wasted while conqeureing and enslaving Western Europe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The DRS is going to be an absolute pain admin wise. Been battling with it the last 6 months. It's way over complicated and very clear that small, craft businesses were not involved at the consultation stage. As such, the feedback small businesses are giving now, now that were actually close to implementation, is way too late. On the importer side, some overseas brands simply won't be bothering to register their on-off beers, only core range, so I wouldn't be surprised if this has an impact on consumer choice on shelf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I've completely missed most of this, tbh. So now a can of beer has to be labelled and verified in such a way to allow it to be returned in a store for recycling?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah. This is done in lots of Europe and many US states already. Virtually no shop ever does manual take back, they install a reverse vending machine that scans the can/bottle for the logo and/or known barcode

Is there some sort of benefit to the customer like the discount for returns in Europe ?

Surely anyone who could be bothered recycling is doing it at home already and the people who are not won't be bringing back cans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The deposit is linked to the registered barcode of the item, so they need to be "undamaged" going into the machines so they can be read correctly. The label will have a little logo on it so you know a deposit has been paid. It's 15c for your standard beer cans. Kicking off 1st Feb and transition period ends 1st June after which no unregistered stock is to be sold.

Online stores will be exempt as take back retailers, they just have to provide a link to where you can deposit your empties on their receipt. The deposit will be listed as an additional fee on the website and receipt, eg Can of Beer €3 + 15c Deposit. If you buy a can to drink on site at a bar, no deposit is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

A slab of cans amounts to €3.00 in deposits; that'd be something of an incentive to recycle, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Bringing cans with drips in them back to the shop while trying to keep their shape will be awkward though.

To the group of people who still don't recycle despite pay by weight bins and still don't bring bags with them to the shop it probably won't no.

Its biggest outcome will be to punish home recyclers with a 15c levy or waste their time having to recycle somewhere else.

Might get the winos into a bit of street cleaning though.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's not only the waste of time having to go off somewhere to recycle something that I already do routinely in my green bin, it's also having somewhere to store a load of empty cans without them getting crushed until I have enough to make it worth my while taking them off for recycling. Completely nonsense of an idea.

• Advertisement

Another blow against the home drinker, why am I not surprised.

Advertisement