Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life passing by people in their 30s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Never said it was a big salary. It's a salary that a 30year old could achieve and set themselves up nicely for the next decades of their life.

Why don't you make yourself useful and offer some advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Of persons in employment in Quarter 3 2020, 64.7% had pension coverage, an increase of almost five percentage points on the same period in 2019. https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-syi/statisticalyearbookofireland2021part1/soc/pensioncoverage/#:~:text=Over%20seven%20in%20ten%20(70.8,the%20third%20quarter%20of%202020

It's a bit like health insurance one of the first jobs I had you could pay for health insurance from your salary and get a bit of a discount so I signed up for it, 25 years later I was very glad to have it. A pension should be an opt-out, not an opt-in option making it slightly difficult to opt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Paying all life for a 35sqm hole is quite grim.

Whats the message in that anyway, work all of your life, don't breed, die alone? All to appease the vulture funds. Glory be to the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

200k suggested for 35sqm to boot.

I'd love to know where the poster envisages all the storage fitting in, unless they'll suggest saving money by having no furniture and little in the way of personal belongings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I have a friend who gets a haircut (€40) every Tuesday at lunch time and eats lunch out every day, with at least 4 or 5 coffees from the shop every day.

Every second weekend he is off one a foreign city break.

Always moaning that he cant afford to buy a house and whos fault it is. He has never mentioned himself being at fault though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

This thread exemplifies why I - in my 30s - decided to turn my back on Ireland and go and find real life somewhere else. Ditto for all the threads on "having children is so expensive". Back then, in the early 00s, I had a wife and four children and the chance to settle down in Dublin or somewhere (anywhere) else in Ireland, but having spent three months on a "taster session" the one thing that struck me more than anything else was that the Plain People of Ireland had gone absolutely mad in respect of home ownership and I wanted no part of it. I literally sat down with MrsCR one evening and did the sums, and realised that even with a 70k job offer, I'd still end up slaving until well past early retirement to afford a half-decent house and maybe just maybe something resembling "quality of life".

So we packed up our bags, our children and our hard-earned euros and bought a much-better-than-half-decent house in rural France for a fraction of the price we'd have paid in Ireland. I'm now in my 50s and was out partying till 4am last night; I was at a three-day festival two weeks ago; I'm going to another three-day festival in Switzerland next month, and then back to Dublin for a fortnight to see the parents. 20 weeks work a year is more than enough to pay the bills and leave enough for fun. And that's the example my children get to follow. The eldest is coming up on thirty and is definitely not letting life pass him by: he too turned his back on a lucrative Dublin-based IT job with a high five-figure salary to run around in the mud in Belgium, where he's quite happy renting twice the floorspace in Brussels for half the rent he was paying in Rathmines.

Between that taster stay in Dublin and now, I have watched the Plain People of Ireland vote for the same class of do-nothing politicians over and over again, wage bidding wars with each other to drive up the prices of bog-standard houses for which they then need to saddle themselves with thirty-year mortgages ... and then complain that there's a "crisis" and the people have "no choice" but to work all the hours they can get and how they "need" two incomes to pay their mortgage and for their overpriced childcare.

At this stage, I have no sympathy at all for people who think they're stuck a rut because they can't afford to buy a house in one of the worst regulated property markets in Europe: there's nothing stopping anyone (except the Brits, of course) from moving to some other corner of the Continent and buying a house for 30k, or 15k, or 5k, or even 1 Euro, and then to spend the rest of their time living a life that doesn't revolve around paying off a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Pros and cons of living in Ireland or France, France isnt perfect, I know French people who moved to Ireland because they think France is fcuked from immigration and crime. The strikes in France every other day would piss me off.

saying that I will probably spend half the year in mainland Europe in a few years, never been to France but I love Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Grey123

Pretty similar to my experience, of my friends in their mid 30s at home.

One never moved out. Probably has 100k plus saved. Happy to give out about prices. Isn't willing to rent either due to cost and places not meeting his comfort level. Annoyed he passed on the low prices.

Another moved back in 4 years ago, late 30s, single. Wants a 4 bed. That's out of reach but he won't settle for a 3 or 2 bed. Blames the government.

A good few others did a year or two at "home" at some stage, often to get a mortgage. Really went to ground cutting out nights out etc. They moved in with parents with a financial plan to get out.

I do feel sorry for people given the rents but I think some don't realize when others knuckle down and save for a year. A friend who is saving for a deposit spent 30k on a car. Mine cost me 3k.

For me I would hate to live at home. I couldn't have imagined spending my 20s or 30s with my parents.

I feel some don't mind or prioritize other things like cars and holidays. That's okay. Given the numbers living at home it's never been more acceptable to and some are happy to live and home and say "not my fault".

The IT article seems a bit all over the shop. It gives stats about people in their 20s they talks about people in their 30s.

It says 7/10 people 25 to 30 live at home and that it's doubled over the last decade. That's not what the CSO says. Seems to be the opposite. I think the 7/10 number is from eurostat. Don't understand it to be honest.

From the cso.

To give some context based on cso numbers regarding people in their 30s.

The youngest person in the article is 32, at that age according to the cso (2022) 86% of people don't live with their parents. It was 91% in the 2011 census.

The oldest person is 38. 93% don't live at home at that age. In 2011 it was actually 94%.

The article features some one moving in with parents after "years of travelling" and is then setting up a business.

It seems two of the other 3 have done "a few years travelling". That's not going to help career etc. It just seems they have different priorities and that's why they are in the approx 10% living with their parents in their 30s.

What advice can I offer that can adequately capture the deep complexity of life and careers? Should I advise people to follow my own career path, where I made one job switch at the right time and trebled my salary? That doesn’t seem very repeatable or even necessarily good process so what would be the point.

Unless someone goes into a field like medicine, there is always going to an element of luck with salary, Even the actual Billy big boll*xs in high finance (I.e lads who would be annoyed with 70k as a bonus, rather than a salary) - for every chap in the The Big Short , there were plenty of Masters of the Universe who lost everything. Maybe they should have followed your advice and watched YouTube videos, too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

So instead of offering anything productive, your approach is just to sneer at my advice.

At least I know what level you're working from.

Several income deciles above you no-doubt. Best of luck with monetising those YouTube videos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

A few years travelling wont help with career?

I saw 2 brothers on tv a few years ago, they travelled and saw a product (hand rolled ice cream) in Thailand that wasnt available in Ireland, they came back and set up a shop selling it, they might have set up more shops I cant remember but travelling does open your mind and is helpful and can make you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

In fairness this process of bringing in immigrants and allowing the Irish to leave has seriously accelerated since 2020 under the present FF/FG/GP government. In the past year alone foreign primary teachers can become registered in Ireland with no knowledge of the Irish language and just over the weekend Paschal Donohoe announced plans to "diversify" the civil service (i.e. dilute/remove the requirements of being an Irish citizen to bring in foreigners). Very similiar to the pronoun era coming to the fore etc....

No one has really voted on all of this but they soon will and the election in a year or so will show massive changes with Ivan Yates predicting 70+ seats for SF.

There's a reason why Irish governments disenfranchise their own citizens on emigrating (an utterly disgraceful thing to do) because they don't want to feel the effects or consequences of their actions which result in such emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair, a couple of years of travelling should not exclude you from ever owning a home or being able to rent a small place. It's just that the market is so dysfunctional that it does. To succeed in Ireland (And by succeed I mean have some basic level of stability) you either need to get a really high paying job and/or have a partner and scrimp and save for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Mid-nineties housing was cheap

Early 2000s prices had gone up a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Exactly, it is what we want. Nobody wants their asset (house) devalued by more housing nearby, and object object to planning. Ergo, we want homelessness and permanent accommodation stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's the biggest issue. How to keep people who have managed to get on the property ladder happy and at the same time make accommodation more affordable. I can fully understand why someone who's managed to get a mortgage for a property at an inflated price would not want to see their property suddenly drop by 20%. But at the same time this process of housing getting more and more expensive is going to hurt a whole generation of people.

I sometimes think the politicians want a crash. It'll take the responsibility out of their hands. They can just say it's all external market forces that they can't control.

We also need a change in how politicians plan in this country. Nearly all of our planning is done in small cycles. It's all designed to win votes in the next election and not long term. So there's no proper 10 or 20 year housing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Im not familiar woth Fremch house prices so correct me if im wrong. But would houses for 30k in France be in the equivalent of buying in connemara or some other far flung corner of Ireland?

With very little work opportunities and nobody who'd speak English? If those prices are achievable in cities then apologies.

But if they're not cities than not only would you need a business plan but you also need French to make such a move.

I'd argue it sounds like a more difficult task then saving your bollix off in Ireland for 2 years and buying a 400k house.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Grey123

It shouldn't. However it is going to delay things. We don't know the details of the traveling but in general if involves saving for a year or two and then maybe keeping topped up with casual work where possible. Potentially wiping out 3 to 5 years of potential saving for a deposit and career progress.

A few years of travelling is a luxury, even a year is something I wouldn't have been able to afford until early / mid 30s and then it would have been a case of raiding my deposit savings and potentially having my career take a hit / struggling to find work when I return.

• Advertisement

While I agree with you how come Individuals in New York and Hong Kong are happy to live in and buy studio apartments.?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Probably because they have all the services they could ever need within a 5 minute walk of that apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭Deeec

Anyone that believes SF will make a difference to housing in this country needs their head checked out. The situation with FF and FG is bad but with SF in charge it will get way worse. It is very easy for them to say what they will do if they were in charge but reality is what they want cannot be achieved. Anyone who thinks SF will change everything is an idiot.

I agree with you that immigration has damaged our housing supply but the government made their bed in that regard.

The easiest way out of it is to build basic council housing - but the houses they are building are anything but basic and its costing huge amounts which again limits the amount that can be built.

I also think that maximum housing selling prices should be set as a planning condition - developers then have to work to a budget instead of making huge profits. Builders have always been making big profits and this needs to be limited to bring down prices of new builds.

Does he also that that new addiction-to-avocados that you hear about where he can eat literally nothing except for avocados all day every day?

Yeah, I'd also put good public transport 24 bus route, shops restaurants, pocket parks, coffee stands, outdoor yoga things, gyms with my studio developments. developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Man cant afford any avocados spending 40euro per haircut!

Why would a developer work fot less profit? Why would a basic social house be cheaper, the cost of the land is the issue? The cost of a kitchen or a bathroom is pennies in the overall cost to build are you proposing to abandon building regs?

You'd wonder where he is going for them. I am sure there might be some barbers or "stylists", but it wouldn't be a normal price even in Dublin city centre.

While the boring people work in phama producing the cancer drugs or become the teachers or nurses that the world needs. The amount of people with the right skill set where 20 weeks work would support a famy is miniscule. I have a cousin who spends 3 month in France each year she is in IT works contracts only. My husband has relatives who work the festival scene and only purchased in their 40s in the UK so yes it can happen but it's not revelent to the vast majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Conversely anyone who thinks change is going to come by re-electing FF/FG is also an idiot.

In the end oppositions don't win elections. . . governments lose them, and SF will almost certainly take power on one issue only - housing.

Advertisement