Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life passing by people in their 30s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

But this is all anecdotal crap , its not adding to the point of the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...the only problem is, the 'gods' are actually human created, backed by bullsh1t theory by so called 'invisible' people(the 'invisible hand', yea right!)....

...as others have said its got virtually nothing to do with the actions of younger generations, its primarily due to the actions of us older, asset owning generations, as we ve been willing on continual asset price inflation, and continually voting in governments that also advocate this approach...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,960 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I applied for a few positions in Paris. Does that count? Got rejected from one with the efficiency I'd expected from the Germans.

To be honest, I'd be willing to head back to rural Ireland if I could find both work and a place to live. The housesharing thing is hell and it only gets worse with age.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭leanbh

Curious to know where you live in France celticrambler?

Was language barrier a big issue- obv not for your adult children now.

I've visited rural France Normandy a few times and it's beautiful. But culturally, is it hard to break in? Also is it true that administration is a nightmare or is that just a myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭notAMember

Explain it to me... How does having rental properties available, owned by a teacher, or some lad in the hick town, or larry goodman, drive up prices for anyone else? More rental properties available = lower rent and lower demand for other available housing.

Is it that you think the properties are held vacant or something? Because that typically isn't the case, it's actually the complete opposite. Rental unit providers do the work to keep our housing stock up to spec, habitable and occupied. There is a huge demand for rental units, larry and the teacher provide them. We don't all want to leave our parents house and buy the gaff next door to live there til we go to the grave. People are mobile, rental is needed for those are don't want or need to buy.

And sorry, but did you fail maths? Of COURSE renting is more money than a mortgage. The rental owner has to pay the mortgage, AND the tax (at 52%) and the upkeep, insurance, furniture etc out of the rent. Basic sums there lad.

• Advertisement

Haha Paris is a bit different. Its just not very helpful rhetoric. Oh why not move to rural france. The thread was meant to be about the social impact on young people who cant afford housing. Its an irrefutable fact that housing is too expensive for people but you still have old farts on here talking about their cousins getting lends of money for deposits , moving to rural france and just pure bollixology.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,960 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Last paragraph's a bit harsh, no?

I've largely shed my fondness for London but the fact remains that most of the jobs I have a reasonable chance of getting are located around here. Anywhere else I've tried has shot me down. I even looked at Galway recently and it's only marginally cheaper than London. I saw a vacancy in Meath but the town the company is near had one rental property, a 4-bed place for €2,500 a month.

I get that you did something very brave and are reaping the well-earned rewards but by the sounds of it, for most people that wouldn't work for various reasons. It's a heck of a thing to move to another country where you don't speak the local language. It's a bit hard to believe that rural France is much better than rural England or Ireland for those without money.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Somewhere near the Airbus factory and the French woodstock he said

In fairness, if one could get a job they may find rural France a nice place to live. I find it a bit hard to believe that French politicians are better than their Irish counterparts. The French aren't famous for being hospitable after all. I only applied for the Paris thing because of my niche skillset which is borderline worthless.

I'm on the wrong side of 35 and I just want to stop housesharing. It's literally the one thing I want and I'm trapped in it.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Are they happy, or forced to live that way through exploitation? Are people in New York or Hong Kong the "happy" we are aiming for?

Ultimately we should be looking out for the well being of our society, a 35sqm box is perfect in Hong Kong or New York where they need to cram as many people to every block as possible to satisfy capitalist interests, but it's by no means something we should model after. Surround the silicon docks of Dublin with those apartments but nothing outside of that.

At what point did we decide this now is the last generation, we don't need families, we do away with old people, we don't need humanity we can just stuff everyone henceforth into boxes and let them live and die there, their only purpose is to work and occupy as little space and make as little sound as possible outside their daily grind lest they upset our corporate owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Blaming young people for their own situation is a social media construct.

However, it is easier to have empathy for a young person who sticks to a job they do not like, saves, works hard does everything that society expects them to do, and still can't get anywhere vs a forties something artist complaining, seeming to have no insight into how their choice of career might affect their life it all sounds so vacuous and self-indulgent.

Naomi Kline has an interesting point about the body worship( gym culture) and grooming that goes on with some young people, it is a reaction to the precarious life that modern capitalist society produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Why the anger notAmember? Quite an aggressive post.

Are you serious having a go at me regarding mathematical competence when you just admitted you don’t understand how people buying up multiple houses doesn’t drive up prices for first time buyers?

I was talking about individuals who are on their own and the apartment would be surrounded by excellent services I wasn't proposing families live like that. vs living with their parents. I am not sure wan the answer is but capitalism and consumerism shows no signs of going anywhere soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,214 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You post this stuff repeatedly on many forums - but you still can't grasp the basics. No matter how many times it is explained to you

The required hurdle rate for an investment would be related to the cost of capital, but not the capital repayments themselves.

For renting a property, you exchange the income from your rent for the cost of that capital i.e. the interest. You can take capital appreciation and depreciation into account.

In a normal market, renting should never be more than a mortgage. Unless you are talking about special cases such as very short term rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I'm already saving for my kids house deposit. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I know people who traveled to make money. They went abroad to teach English. And they managed to save enough to bring back a deposit. Something they would never have managed here. I know because they tried.

Also, travelling doesn't cost a lot of money. I've backpacked myself and it wasn't expensive. If you want to stay longer you just bring enough money for a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭AyeGer

First time I ever left Ireland was at 18 to work in Holland for the summer. I had a great time but still managed to save money. Same when I went to America. I didn’t scrimp and save but alway put money into savings. I bought my first house at 30.

As you say people can travel and still work and save money. I’d highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I had friends living in Taiwan. Kitchens are really unusual there because there's so much street food available in a short walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Certainly sounds like the land of milk and honey and a good option for anyone struggling in Ireland looking to really make a big change.

I've been fortunate enough to forge a decent life in Ireland and I'll be joining you on the continent for a decent chunk of winters in the next few years with wfh(anywhere) being a runner.

But I'm glad to be part of the lucky ones that have a home on this wet rock as nobody gets me like the Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Not

Somewhere near the Airbus factory and the French woodstock he said

There is a lot more to the French aerospace industry than Airbus; and there are lots (and lots and lots) of festivals all over the country, few of which share any of the vices or virtues of Woodstock. Anyway, "dead centre" will get you close enough - a hundred km in any direction doesn't really change anything.

My Leaving Cert French was good enough to get me in the door, and we'd spent a full year familiarising the children (then 4-8 years old) to basic vocab like colours and numbers. When we went down to collect them from school at the end of their first day, they told us to go home - they'd received their bus passes during the afternoon and wanted to hang out with their new French friends until the bus came.

Language and attitude barriers are only a problem if you make them so. Most of the British people I know who had/have problems have them because they refuse to drop the "this isn't how we do things in England" attitude. Well, no - this isn't England (or Ireland) and some things are done differently - like buying and selling houses, for a start. There are no bidding wars here: you put your house on the market for n-thousand euros, and as soon as someone comes along and offers you that amount, you're locked into the sale/purchase. No gazumping, no backing out on either side without a hefty penalty.

Similarly for admin - yes, sure, there are some processes that are maddening (mainly if you want to employ salaried workers), but I've had more hassle trying to operate an Irish-registered business. For the most part, though, it's simple box-ticking. As long as you tick all the relevant boxes, you'll get an answer within a month (and, for most permissions, if you don't get an answer, the answer is "yeah, go ahead"). Want to organise an event and serve artisan beer and locally-made wine? Fine. Fill in a form telling the local police that you'll be serving drink on Saturday night till 4am on Sunday. There's your drinks licence, job done (oh, and yeah, it's fine to have children there till 4am too).

And guess what - a load of those children will have 30-year old parents, not letting children or housing cause them to miss out on life.

But here's the thing: I can literally count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've met another Irish person in any of the many and varied parts of non-Tourist France I visit, and there's only one of them (nice lady from Wexford, works as a home help to the elderly) that I've seen more than once. As I remarked on another thread, the Irish seem to have become so obsessed with the anglophone world as the only viable alternative that they allow themselves to be sucked in by the rude/arrogant/unwelcoming stereotypes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Not all milk and honey, but yes it's an accessible option.

Worth remembering too that there's a huge difference in culture even within this country (enough to warrant a major movie about 15 years ago: https://youtu.be/SLRTtHByPn4 )

Same thing crossing the border from France into Switzerland or Germany, or between the north and south of Italy. But as long as you adjust your mentality when the road-signs change colour, it's as easy to get along with one group of people as another.

@ancapailldorcha - look (again?) at the opportunities available along the Rhine, from Strasbourg to Basel, or in/around Geneva. From what you've said in other threads, I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't fit in with the dozens (hundreds) of "life science" people I dance with over there, a great many of whom live in one country and work in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭SharkMX

You say that like you dont think it happens.

Burying your head in the sand and pointing out randomly somewhere and saying its their fault, wont help you. I think you know that though.

I dont have any kids or a house and im saving for that too for them. At the same time as for a house of my own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The whole ‘young people don’t know how easy they have it’ argument is as old as time itself so we can discount the partying and avo toast as the cause of their housing situation immediately.

To me, we’re still feeling the effects of the Global Financial Crisis. 

Banks are completely risk averse now when lending to customers and businesses.

Builders can only build what they know will sell - 3 bed family homes, the banks won’t lend to them for apartments, small houses etc as they won’t take the risk.

Small builders who would have built small estates pre-GFC don’t get a look in with the Banks.

That leaves nowhere for retirees to downsize to. No where for single people, divorced people etc to buy. 

Little or no social housing stock of any kind too.

Builders who left during the GFC never came back or are now retired so there is a shortage of skills.

While I feel sorry for anyone stuck at home when they don’t want to be there, the positive is that at least they can stay there. Some people have toxic parents and don’t have that option to live at home when times are tough.

If the State can incentivise Banks to finance something other than family homes and fast track planning, it could make a big difference.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

What are you on about. Idiot. I dont need help , i own my own house now , but pals on different salaries dont. Ill tell them move to the middle of nowhere in france LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Angler1

My kids are in their 30s. I don't envy their lot. They have endured a financial meltdown and a pandemic. Both events set them and society back years. The lack of opportunity led each into further education where they were lucky enough to excel. Each now have jobs and mortgages. It has not been an easy rodeo.

Thanks. I see one company on the German side is hiring and I've been debating whether or not to apply. I was in Berlin this month and I'm not sure Germany is for me but at the same time, if I stay, it's more housesharing.

H. H. Asquith

But they have mortgages and therefore homes of their own thats the point I think, mine left home at 21 and 18 and both are now married, have mortgages and are happy getting on with things maybe they have been lucky I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jafin

I can give you my own family's personal experience. My mam bought her house for £21,500 in 1992 (about €25,000). It's now worth about €200,000, so an 8 times increase. Her salary certainly didn't increase 8 fold in that timeframe. Luckily she is one of the older generation who actually understands how much more difficult it is for people my age (I'm 34) to buy property. I moved back in with her about 6 years ago, saved up for 4 years and was finally able to buy an apartment two years ago, but it took a lot of sacrifice on my part. I'm not in Dublin or any expensive part of the country though. If I did live in an expensive part of the country then there's no hope I would have been able to buy.

Edited to fix timeframe.

Advertisement