Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life passing by people in their 30s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

That's what your doing. The houses back then were 3 times someone's salary , now they are 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I thought you were worried about taking on all the suffering and misery in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Google it. You genuinely think house prices are similar? You are an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/housing-affordability-at-its-worst-for-14-years-as-property-prices-almost-eight-times-the-average-salary/42258409.html. Seems to be 8 times roughly. https://www.financialreporter.co.uk/income-to-house-price-ratio-more-than-doubles-since-the-70s.html.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh look, the middle aged white men of Boards.ie think that the younger generation need to stop whining and just pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Who could have guessed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I try and avoid conversing older people where possible, which is thankfully most of the time. It's infuriating having to explain the same thing over and over again and that's if you get someone open minded. Don't start me on the ones who think you can go to the cinema and get a load of snacks for less than a fiver.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Have briefly googled it and their is a difference but nowhere near the figures you have quoted.

Just curious where you pulled them from

Would have thought wishing a recession on families so the younger generation can snap up their house for a bargain is little better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In 1990 the average price of a house was €60,000. In 1990 a new house cost 4.3 times the average industrial wage. At the peak of the Celtic Tiger that ratio shot up to 9:1 for the country as a whole and 12:1 for Dublin.

This isn't sustainable. If people are happy for younger folks to be denied the ability to have children and families then that's fine but pretending that there's no problem is simply disingenuous.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Unemployment was massive in the 80/90s though in comparison to today.

It's like trying to compare sports legends of different eras lads. It's a mugs game.

Life's always been hard and a game of luck. Pros and cons to each decade. Just gotta keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well obviously thats the demographic that will be on a site like this.

Its hardly surprising now is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭thegame983

'Stop complaining and give 70% of your salary to a vulture fund.'

Is essentially the governments solution to the housing crisis.

The planning system really needs to be reformed, it slows everything down when a housing estate or apartment block has to go through numerous objections because Bridie and Maggie who live nearly don't want new neighbours in the area.

Worth noting that both SF and Labour who are always banging on about no houses being built aren't shy about putting in objections themselves and stopping projects going ahead.

At the peak of the Celtic Tiger that ratio shot up to 9:1 for the country as a whole and 12:1 for Dublin.

Correct, the Celtic Tiger peak was circa 2006, so those who bought houses at that time are now the middle aged that are considered the bogeymen on boards.

They didn't get houses at a bargain like some here seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jiminho

This is a pretty hot topic and your view on it will depend on your perspective (like all things) and what your own life and friends/family lives been through. Your age will also have a dramatic effect on how you view the situation as certain age groups are more, or less, sympathetic which again, is based on what they’ve seen or been through.

I’m in my mid thirties and we’ve had a number of people close to us living at home in their thirties but all their situations are different. One has never left the nest and tbh could, and should, have bought something now as I know she has a healthy deposit. Another was renting throughout their twenties and their deposit was getting eroded by rising house prices and inflation. He moved home for a year and bought. Another was in a long term relationship which ended quite abruptly and had no where else to go.

We live in Dublin and we saved hard to get a decent house in a good location. We had many people telling us to move further out because that would have been the easier decision (and we would have got in a lot sooner) but we stuck to our guns and finally got somewhere that ticked all the boxes but it took a while!

I don’t think people should be judged if they’re living at home in their 30’s but there is a cohort, that’s living at home, has had a stable job for years but is blowing it on parties, holidays and things! And after all that, they blame the government (or others) for the situation their in - they get less sympathy from me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It was news to me that Larry Goodman owns 2000 rental properties. Best of luck to anyone who wants a FFG or any government to "sort out" the likes of Goodman or the property market generally. Many of them are up to their necks in it. I wonder will Robert Troy get elected in the next GE.

But I guarantee that there are plenty of people renting who could live in the family home but don't because they don't WANT to, don't get on with family (whose fault is that?) or have made poor career or other decisions - which would include unplanned pregnancies/dating arseholes or not getting a driving licence as young as possible.

On the last one I got my driving licence at age 17 having funded lessons from a summer job during school holidays - that decision alone meant that by age 35, i estimate I was up at least 150k euro compared to waiting until then. If I had made a better career choice e.g. becoming an accountant, plumber, electrician, solicitor, software developer etc. instead of a scientist, I'd be up another few hundred k. Naturally if everyone became a plumber, the market would see to it that being a plumber would no longer be lucrative but at least house prices might come down with more supply due to more tradesmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I was a home owner in my 30s, I couldn't do it now if I was starting off in my 30s.

A new 3 bed semi costs at least €425k, a secondhand one for approx 100k less if the house hasn't been extended or dramatically renovated.

Apartments are too boxy, no storage and very little in the way of outside space. I couldn't handle the noise of being surrounded by others on all sides too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Since when?

An honest question. Where did the notion of "X decade is when you travel and enjoy life" come from?

Enjoy your college years before you tie yourself to a career.

Enjoy your early 20s before you tie yourself to a mortgage

Enjoy your late 20s before you get married and have kids.

At what point to do you stop enjoying yourself and actually start saving?

• Advertisement

Accounting for inflation they are still significantly dearer. 3 times income Vs 9.

I was lucky in that I joined the SSIA and used that for a deposit, unfortunately we will never see a scheme like that again.

I bought in 2007 just before the crash and while the house wasn't cheap location played a part because its in a small village which wouldn't suit a lot of people because there isn't much to do if someone doesn't like the quiet life.

I'm paying off the mortgage on my own so that means working a 6 day week and expensive holidays are out of the question, having said that though I am be able to get away for a week or two every year so its not all doom and gloom.

But its a bit different now because even if someone has the price of a house they have to compete with hundreds of other people to get it, anyone selling a house these days will make a healthy profit.

This argument has been done to death repeatedly. It's very difficult to compare then and now. Building materials and quality, Income levels, mortgage rates, land prices, demand etc all factor into the cost of housing. If housing was so cheap in the 80s and 90s then how come the vast majority only bought one?

Anyways it's pointless. Today is the reality you have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Greyfox

If you want to travel you should do it before you have kids and a mortgage is a good rough guideline. You can still do things when your older but it's easier when you are younger. You need to start saving when your at the point in life when saving for a mortgage is a realistic plan. This should be possible in Ireland but thanks to FF/FG its not an option for many. And people sacrificing a social life for 20 years is not a fair option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Isn't it meant to be a home? Once they aren't looking to move , who cares if they are in negative equity. These rip off house prices, are overwhelmingly negative for society. Not beneficial...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

My parents bought a shell in dublin 14 in 1989 for the average salary that year. That same shell now, would be 8/9 times that price...

I know about the interest rates at the time...

Many people were able to buy property for sale for a relative pittance and have likely also inherited at this stage too...

You're right, but your 20s is the best decade to save for a pension, and the best decade to save for a house and the best decade to build your career. You don't need to sacrifice your social life, but you do need to cut your cloth.

The notion that you should spent a decade of your life enjoying yourself and postponing responsibility is ridiculous, but people seemed to have latched on to it like it's a god given right.

Saving in general is a realistic plan as soon as you get your first job.

No still not correct I'm afraid, have you any evidence to back up your original claim that a significant portion of the population bought houses in the 2000s that are now worth 5 times as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Whilst agree with a lot of your points, kids with good jobs need to pay their way.

I love my kids to bits, it's my house. They tend to take it for granted. If they don't like it, there's the door.

They're adults. I'm not going to daddy them until they're 60(I'll probably be dead).

I'll help out anyway I can but I'm not an atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Enjoying yourself before you get real responsibilities is ridiculous? What's the point of life if you can't enjoy yourself?

The housing market is a disaster and it's not because people in their twenties travel or go on a few weekends away.

Advertisement