Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use - Cash, Card or Both?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Cash

I am in no way a conspiracy theorist, im the opposite but cashless will not be good for normal people, the banks will be the only ones laughing. People who just use card and want cashless society are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Does anyone get paid in cash these days ?

Just seems like hassle going to the cash machine hence why i use card mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Plastic or Digital Card

Mostly card, I'll only use cash if the merchant refuses card and I can't find another merchant who does take card

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 30,295 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Plastic or Digital Card

For me I think it's easier to spend cash. An example would be If I needed a tracksuit pants for €45 and they had an offer on 2 for €70. If I had cash on me I'd be more likely to spend the €70. With my card I probably wouldn't.

Some people would be the opposite they'd go crazy with a card and having cash with them helps them not to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Both

this isnt an intelligence thing, or lack of, using card or other digital means makes a lot of sense, but so to does cash, yes the more we use cashless, the more power we give away over the use of money, calling people stupid over what they chose is just ignorance....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Cash

come back to me in a few years when the banks are charging us 2 euro + every time we use our bank card. and all because people got into the habit of using cards instead of cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Both

But that's the reason it's easier to spend more with your card. The cash to have on you is probably more finite than what you can pay with your card. You might have a €50 note on you, and think "I'll buy the tracksuit pants for €45" but with the card you can more easily whip out the card and transform into Two-Tracksuit Tony!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Plastic or Digital Card

Card on nearly everything but intend to change that asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Both

I use card and cash, but im getting a bit worried now about cash being removed from society. That is a bad thing as far as i am concerned. I think im going to start using more cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Both

95% debit card, but always have a small amount of cash on me in case its needed.

• Advertisement

Both

im a both person, but nearly always cash on face to face transactions, digital still makes sense, its just more convenient and potentially safer, as people are carrying less cash

yes we ve given the banks way too much power, its one of the main reasons why i advocate for a more public banking option, but unfortunately that may never happen here as its not in our current banking offerings best interests....

Plastic or Digital Card

Well for myself I find I'd spend cash much easier.

Both

there is good evidence, most will spend more by digital means, dan ariely has done good work on this....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Both

Both, but it depends. I prefer to use cash whenever I go into a regular shop but I do a good bit of online shopping as well so I would use my card for buying stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Plastic or Digital Card

That's no fun and ruins the suprise night out 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Both

I use card but cash is fine if they don't take card. One thing that does annoy me is when in a shop and they say cash only. That's no problem I've only a 50 though and they go I've no change. If ur cash only make sure u have change. It's happened to me several times. I don't like standing around while u flitter around ur neighbours asking to break the note I'm busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Plastic or Digital Card

The only thing I use cash for is to pay my cleaner.

I find card easier to budget with. I can see exactly what I spend my money on.

For night out I put a certain amount on my revolut so I can't overspend there either.

With cash I find if I have a 50 then I spend 50. That doesn't happen with a card. That's down to me being bad with cash and seeing the breakdown of exactly what I spend my money on makes it easier for me to manage my money.

I also use the spare change feature on revolut when paying so a hanfy enough way of savings all the small change without having to deal with coins.

Plastic or Digital Card

I've an unusual logic I suppose but it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Both

90% Card. 10% Cash

Both

nothing wrong with that, especially if it prevents you from being broke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Both

Retail shopping - card

Cafe / chipper - cash

Restaurant - card but tip in cash

Pub - cash

Records / CDs - almost exclusively online so card

Parking - cash. App costs more!

Always carry a small amount of cash. Cannot abide €50 notes so always withdraw €40 from AIB ATMs or €80 from BOI / PTSB

Suggestion for OP - you should do another poll for cash fans - is your preference notes or coin?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

I spend ten euros in five cent coins at self-service checkouts while ten people wait in the queue behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭clampedusa

Both

If a cyborg or a vulcan or a terminator or Mark Corrigan was given the 3 options which would they all choose.

Exactly.

Both

....try it with 1 cent coins, tis come craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Both

Technically I use both but it’s very lopsided. I use card for most everything but I do keep cash on me, and it’s because of something my grandmother used to say about always needing to be prepared if something goes wrong. The thing I’ve had two twenty euro note in my wallet for months and I may never need them but I’d personally be worried a card machine would go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cash

I have a card but always withdraw cash

the money lenders and their grubby spin offs will not know what I do in any aspect of my personal life with money I have worked hard for

I used to worry about people who could not see the implications of a cashless society but I realised they are lost anyway

Both

Without the data on what you got for lunch at centra big data will surely fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cash

I may not buy the healthiest lunch or dinners maybe a bottle of wine and maybe pints on a Saturday night would health insurance companies in time load my premium?

we can already see what the grubby money lenders do to people who dare to have a few bets with their own money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Plastic or Digital Card

Actually, that is an important point. I use cards as that is easy for me. I have no plans to apply for mortgage, loans etc. Not rich, just old!

Using cash for pints, paddy Power, etc does actually make sense if your applying for credit with a bank

Advertisement