Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use - Cash, Card or Both?

Options
  • 18-10-2023 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

As a Eurobilltracker.com member who mainly uses notes for any shopping when I can I’m curious to see if, mainly since Covid, people still use cash or mainly use card (Either plastic or Digital) ?

Do you use - Cash, Card or Both? 319 votes

Cash
    9%
    bassycharlesantofamagustaCrescenttampopoCessna_PilotSEPT 23 1989mickdwpiagetinajockdiarmuid05easygoing39thesandemanJP Liz V1cdebbarneygumble99Marn02dobman88Rubberchikkenpgj2015 29 votes
    Plastic or Digital Card
    52%
    CorinthianastrofoolShredGenghisZhanecarlosmatrimKilOitixoyElessarakeadySheep ShaggerTony Hxabibigslickchubba1984CrookedJackBowWowstesaurusNaked Lepper 167 votes
    Both
    38%
    byteSwampyBadly Drunk Boydarragh o mearaDoctorEdgeWildRikandArmaniJeanssnavannoelDrummerboy2fatbhoyStrummsleexxtal191fabsoulMellorsundodger5garyc1987gipiinterlockedMrs OBumble 123 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Plastic or Digital Card

I had never heard of Eurobilltracker...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for." - this is inappropriate for such a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cash

I use cash as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Both

Both, but I tend more towards card. I usually don't have cash on me, and there's only 1 place (the local chipper) which I will prepare for. If I'm in a town/city and go into a place that doesn't take card, I leave. I'm definitely spending less having no cash on me, whereas I believe some people end up spending more. My spending habits have changed though, so that's a consideration.

I know people say cash is king and it'll never be gone, but I wouldn't say never. Won't even be cards in the future, we'll have NFC eyes. Transactions will look like they do in Cyberpunk with lighty up eyes to show the transfer. I may be playing too my Cyberpunk...

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Is it possible to edit and change that setting? What exactly is the concern?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Both

Give over. A little picture, often used by dozens of others, appears beside the vote. It's hardly breaching GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Cash

Cash as much as possible. Was abroad there for a while and the only thing I used my card for was a train ticket

Love the way in Luxembourg the ATM s let you select how many 100e notes you want and how many 50s

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭walshtipp

Cash

Cash 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

What will all the lads in the phone repair shops etc do? They have to take cash or else they'll have to contribute towards something and pay tax. Won't somebody please think of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Plastic or Digital Card

I use card to pay for everything, I spend less money and it's so easy to keep track of the spending with a banking app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I just use my phone for pretty much all purchases these days. My barber only takes cash and I pay my cleaner in cash, the only reason I ever visit an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Plastic or Digital Card

I mainly use card. I only really use cash at places that doesn't accept card such as a barbers or take-away.

In general I find it easier to save when I'm using my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Plastic or Digital Card

I'm card, Revolut all the way, just got back from a trip to Greece, never used cash once, once in a blue moon I might use cash, but I don't carry it,

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Plastic or Digital Card

Card always. Easier for me & I have nothing to hide. If a business does not accept card, I will move on and find one that does.

Cash is great for tax avoidance, that's the only benefit to those that only accept cash.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Mostly cash, but card in Tesco mostly because of the separate queues for using cash and card nonsense that some genius dreamed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Plastic or Digital Card

Card always, it's far quicker, having to end up carrying coins or €10/€5 notes is a nuisance. Not having to bring cash with me feels wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Plastic or Digital Card

almost always card. the whole 'cash is kind' stuff usually belted out by boomers is a load of nonsense. don't think we should get rid of it or anything, but i also work in a small retail store & the amount of people who do be buying something for like €1.50 & paying with a €50 note is insanely frustrating, especially early in the morning (which is prime boomer time) when there's isn't huge supplies of cash in the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Both

Reverting to cash lately. I spend less when I use cash.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Both

Mainly card but for small purchases like a coffee or a paper I'll use cash.

If I'm going to the pub I'll take X amount in cash and leave the card at home. No chance of staying later than I intend or getting caught up in "rounds".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Both

Both. Restricting yourself to one of the other seems needlessly making life difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Both

Not to mention a certain indigenous ethnic minority whom we're not allowed to talk about. The discrimination just never stops.

Both

Mostly card these days myself. Cuts down on the need to have jars of small change around the house which I then have to bring to one of those cash conversion machines in Tescos. Although that is one of life's little pleasures when you realise you have about 300 odd euro saved.

Both

Interesting to see the number of people who say that using a card saves them money. Why is this? What are you going to be buying with cash that you wouldn't buy with a card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Both

Yes unless there are lots of offers for using a card or something then it doesn't really make sense. I've started using card more often and it makes it so much easier to spend and consequently spend more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Cash

Cash for when Im out and about as I find I spend less.Only use the card for online stuff like booking plane tickets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭taratee

Both

Use both, but I prefer to use cash. Easier to control what I spend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Both

Card mostly. A couple of pubs I go to would have been cash only up until recently. Only time I use cash now is going Dalymount, chip van, half time raffle and programmes are cash only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Cash

I use a card a lot on line, Amazon don't take cash. In shops always cash.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement