Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use - Cash, Card or Both?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Plastic or Digital Card

I don’t even carry a wallet a lot of the time anymore as I use the phone to tap almost exclusively. The only exception is the very occasional place that doesn’t take card (of which the main one I frequent started taking card a few weeks ago) and paying tradesmen/cleaner who want cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Someone made the point the banks take money out of a local economy by encouraging the use of cards.

If a candlestick maker gets paid €100 and then he spends it in the butcher and then the butcher spends the €100 with the farmer

and the farmer spends it in the pub and the publican spends it in the shop etc, there is still €100 floating around. And it could be spent even during power cuts and when the internet went down or when banks had IT difficulties.

Because the bank takes 1.5% or 2% on commission on transactions, they take that out of the local economy every step of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭Allinall

That 1.5 or 2% commission then is used to pay bank employees who go on the spend it buying candles etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Maybe in head office in Dublin or whatever - local banks around the country do not get that 1.5% or 2%.

Those furthering the divide between head office banks and the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Both

Both, but was using cash way more before Covid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Baba Yaga

cash...?still using cattle,sheep and pigs

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

Plastic or Digital Card

What about cash lodgement/withdrawal fees and other costs associated with handling cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

What's worse, in my neck of the woods, employees in BoI and Permanent TSB have got done for literally robbing money.

Of course the dickhead who did it in BoI has GAA connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭growleaves

Both

AIB, BOI and PTSB employees can see what's on your account statements and Ireland is a small country.

But hey only criminals need or want financial privacy amiright? /s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Pay with phone. Don’t usually bother bringing card with me, and definitely not cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Plastic or Digital Card

I don't carry cash anymore - I don't need to, so I don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Cash

What associated handling charge is there for not paying cash into the bank and using it to pay for things? Maybe one charge to draw it out but then thats it you know you aren't going to be hit with anymore charges.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Plastic or Digital Card

It's not really feasible for a business to use cash they receive to pay for things in any significant way aside from maybe a tradesman or similar. A pub can't pay diageo cash, a shop can't pay a wholesaler in cash, wages can't really be cash any more bar maybe a part-timer. The majory of cash a business takes in will be lodged even from a security aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's 2023, Businesses aren't taking money out of the tills to pay for their shopping, the candlestick maker is lodging that money into his business account and being charged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Just got an annual report on the banks fees

over 100 euro it is

it is ridiculous

will start to use more cash again

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

Banks trying to close branches is a fear! Again another way of killing of community spirit.

Personally I’ve tried to use cash more where possible. Not all shops accept cash …. especially abroad! Amsterdam has some cashless shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Both

Use a mixture of both. Certain things like big food shop, fuel I'll always use card. Don't like the idea of cashless. About 5 years ago I was at a wedding when the visa network went down. Was funny at the bar the amount of people that had ordered and couldn't pay. Running back to tables to ask had anyone cash on them. Similarly I popped into the local aldi on the way home from work one evening and card machines went down. I'd say only 2 of us continued our shop everyone else abandoned their trollies

Interesting stats so far …

around 10% use cash only, 54% card and 36% both ….

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Plastic or Digital Card

No, health insurers will not load your premium as health insurers have no access to your personal finances /bank statements,

This is all protected under GDPR rules and anything you say against that is just scaremongering.

Your point about gambling is where banks are reviewing your finances when applying for a mortgage/loan, as they are entitled to do, unlike health insurers, and strangely enough banks are not comfortable lending to people with gambling problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Both

...i beg to differ on that, many a dodgy deal has been done with banks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Plastic or Digital Card

You're just spouting nonsense now without any facts to back it up.

Health companies cannot access your bank records as simple as that.

Irish banks are now also tightly regulated and there's not a hope any deal like you claim would be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

A lot of atm’s have started charging to take cash out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Both

I miss the days where the old saying often prevailed…. “ customer is king “

businesses, if they wanted your custom, your money, they’d do everything to make it as pleasant, convenient, good value and user friendly for the customer.

now us customers are being expected to make everything as convenient and user friendly as possible for businesses. 🤬 what do we get in return ? Nothing is cheaper, VERY much the opposite and customer service in many places now is about as fashionable as smoking a fag in an oil refinery..

in a way covid had a role to play there…. Buzz phrases like ‘essential services’ and the hero worship that the media and politicians were affording businesses…. Almost marketed them as on a par with healthcare workers, also beyond criticism and untouchable ….

many places since, still… “you will pay only with card / you will pay only at self service machines / you will only update your membership online…”. The ease and flexibility of getting stuff done as a consumer is less it’s decreasing.… card gets nicked, damaged, declined ? What then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Plastic or Digital Card

Well, for the fourth time in a row this weekend, my hairdresser was unable to accept card payments due to this long-standing technical issue. It's really starting to lack plausibility. The hassle of it is just irritating. At the same time, they must surely lose business if girls had booked appointments intending to put it on the credit card until pay day. So difficult to believe they would be doing this deliberately as some sort of tax swindle.

My hospital consultant, who only takes cash, is still the most annoying, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Cash

Do people not realize they can get better deals paying with cash? also by just using phone and card you are playing right into the banks hands, you will regret it when things go 100% cashless.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,317 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That depends. Paying with a credit card or asking a shop for finance is expensive. Paying with a debit card shouldn't be more expensive than bank notes - tax fraud aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Cash

Lots of businesses will give you a far better deal for cash and they will pick the cash customer over the card payer, as in they will come fix your oil cooker or heating system before someone wanting to pay them by card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Johnny cash all the way. Lads will pay for tapping yet.

Advertisement