Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2023

Options
  • 16-10-2023 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I didn't see a thread so starting one.

I applied for these a few years back and recall having passed but not being called so hoping for a better run around this year.

I think my main stumbling block is the Situational test. Do people actually know what it is they are looking for in this? In the example questions provided, I can see merit in any of the answers - but that would all depend on the existing culture. I think it's somewhat biased to existing CS to know what the culture within a place is, as there is no obvious objectively correct answers.

Post edited by plaidshirt on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I applied earlier this month to a 2023 AO competition - have they opened a 2024 competition in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 plaidshirt

I renamed the thread, I was referring to this year's competition, apologies.

Grand!

This is my first attempt at the AO competition. I've tried to familiarise myself with the competencies and I'll look over the job spec once more. I'm quite old, so I'm hoping that hard-earned common sense helps me over the line.

I completed the ID verification process this afternoon, so I'm hoping to hear tomorrow whether that's passed muster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CH13

Anyone any advice for situational judgement test? Made a balls of it in another competition.

No, unfortunately.

I just don't know what their priorities are. If they favour deference to management, or consideration of others.

The example questions on the test portal are case in point - I think after one week of working there, or being told what is expected, I would act accordingly. Every decision is informed by a culture, knowing it intuitively from the outside isn't a given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Ye it really is hard to say but i imagine they expect answers that align with the competancy framework.

So study that a little and aim to align your answers as best you can with that.

Completely agree. Tough to approach the questions when unaware of the working culture in the civil service. Keep in mind the competency as was said, and hope for the best?! 😂 Going to need a lot of luck

Thanks for the reply. Will certainly keep that in mind when answering!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Is this for a current competition that is at the filling form out stage or has that part passed?

Deadline has passed, online tests to take place over the weekend.

• Advertisement

IGEES have an AO open on atm but that's for people with economic degrees only I think

• Registered Users Posts: 40 BigElmo

Social Science and Data Science degrees too. Lots of degrees fit into Social Science so give it a bash if you can argue this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_science

The following are problem areas, applied social sciences and discipline branches within the social sciences.

Anthropology

Area studies

Communication studies

Economics

Education

Environmental studies

Gender studies

Geography

History

Industrial relations

International relations

Law

Library science

Linguistics

Media studies

Political science

Psychology

Sociology

Sustainable development

Worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭dannyc31

my partner just finished the last of the 3 exams today. keeping my fingers crossed for her. she feels ok about it but said the numerical reasoning was very tough in comparison to the recent EO campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Grateful4

Thank you for starting this thread I was looking for one!

I did my 3 online tests today, glad to have them over with. I always find the numerical reasoning tricky.

Best of luck to everyone ! 🤞🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ali07

Hi,

I am going to do the tests tomorrow. Is there anyway I can prepare a bit for the numerical test?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Grateful4

You can practice with the familiarisation tests accessible through the same link as the actual tests and also on the main public jobs website, go to test advice. Hope this helps! Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Does anyone.know if there is negative marking on Numerical and Verbal? Planking it ahead of the tests tomorrow

No negative marking on numerical, I noticed yesterday.

Just did it now wasn't expecting those videos in the situational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ROTENDSA

Would it be possible for somebody to upload a copy of the candidate information booklet for this campaign? That would be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ihope

Hi, if the deadline has not passes for IGEES can you post the application link please. Can't seem to find this one. Thanks a mil.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&Itemid=263&cid=180177&campaignId=23411208

• Registered Users Posts: 3 okbreakfast

Will they share the actual test results with us or only tell us whether we passed this stage? Also, I couldn't find any info in the booklet on what constitutes the 'qualifying standard'; only that we must reach it in all tests to be considered further... First-time applicant here😅

opps I replied to my own post so deleting this

Post edited by ihope on

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭elfie123

When you receive your results you will be told the qualifying score for each test and the score you received for each test. If you reach the qualifying score for each test, you will then also be given an OOM (order of merit) aka your place in the que to be called for interview against all the other applicants. each test is usually marked out of 800 and the qualifying score is usual 370/800. Good luck 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 9 apat7

Does anyone know when we'll be notified of test results/OOM? This is my first time going through the AO process..

Thanks a mil, I'm unsure I'd be eligible with a pg dip in PR, as my graduation in commerce was a simple degree. I will try to get this out tonight....maybe. I wish they had stated what degrees / masters would be elligible within 'Social Science'

End of November according to the booklet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 apat7

Thank you, I didn't see that in there.

Advertisement