Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kb1234

thanks for checking! Does this mean 573 people were offered jobs or 573 people accepted jobs? Because a lot of people choose not to take them in the end (I did last year), thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Fizzgig Fozzywig

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Fizzgig Fozzywig

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vatsie76

They reached OOM 573 to call for the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grateful4

@Cdub don’t want to get your hopes up asI have no experience in this but if circular 08/2019 is still in place, take a look if you would fall in under 1.2 (iv) ? Min salary on new scale greater than existing salary but by an amount less than the first increment on new scale, Officer may enter the new scale at the min plus one increment.

I was looking at this as I am also an EO , haven’t been offered an AO interview yet never mind a position 😅😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭dannyc31

is the AO position in the civil service generally seen as a higher grade (promotion) than the EO or are they just different jobs? it looks like the pay scales for the AO go higher than the EO position from what i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Yes AO is a higher grade and a graduate position but alot of EOs use it to move up into AP

• Registered Users Posts: 10 59483048

Yep, like @Grateful4 said, per Circular 08/2019, section A. 1.2. (iv):

Where the minimum of the new salary scale is greater than existing pay by an amount less than the first increment on the new scale, the officer may enter the new scale at the minimum plus one increment.

In your case, the minimum point of the new salary scale (AO) is €36,864. This amount is greater than your existing pay of €36,464 (I presume) by €400 (less than the first increment on the new scale). Therefore you will enter the new scale at the minimum plus one increment, e.g. the second point on the scale: €39,508.

Even if you were to wait until you move to an EO salary of €37.5 in January, you'll still be on the same salary if you then accept the AO job.

When I was looking into this myself, it took me a few minutes to be sure I was interpreting it correctly, hence the above attempt to be as clear as possible!

Does anyone know if there are rules about how long you have to be an EO/existing public servant, before you can take advantage of this circular?

E.g. if I start in an EO role and work in that role for 2 months, before being offered an AO role, can I immediately start at the second point on the AO salary scale? Does it have to be a permanent EO role? Do I have to have passed probation?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

Thank you for the responses, excellent information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

Hi.

I've an interview and presentation for this but I'm already an EO. Been in the civil service for the past few years now. Am I worth my while taking this seriously? I've no CO's under me so I've no management experience to speak of if going for HEO. I also think the starting salary is less than what I'm on, but surely they'll match my existing salary at least? I'm also not a recent graduate, I finished college a few years ago.

Can anyone assist? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 apat7

There's a few posts above in this thread re starting salaries for existing civil servants..they might be helpful for you

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Point 2 on the EO scale is less than point 1 of the AO scale, therefore this isn't relevant. If you were an EO for 2 months and then promoted to AO you'd start on point 1 of the AO scale.

I have been told that 579 candidates were called to interview last year and that 273 candidates (up to batch 8) were assigned roles! Just in case anyone is curious

so what does that mean for the candidates from 274-579? they just wont be ever assigned at this stage? since AO competition 2023 is now on does that just take over from last years open competition, as in the top 200 in the 2023 comp will get placed before the bottom 250 candidates that were called for interviews for the 2022 comp?

Hi ,

i got this response from clearance in 2022. Dint post it earlier to avoid any confusion— Thank you for your email. 273 candidates placed on the panel after interview for the AO 2022 competition. Most of these candidates were assigned to roles in the Civil Service from this panel. Those who were not placed decided not to proceed with the role.

I guess only 273/579 both passed the interview and accepted the position. The others either didn't pass the interview or chose not to accept the role offered

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭elfie123

Hi, just to further clarify the above comments a large number of the 273-579 who were called to interview may have failed their interview as opposed to just turning down the role. I was oom low 300’s in the 2022 competition, got called to interview in June and unfortunately failed 1 of the competencies. I applied again to this years comp and have my interview in two weeks, so hopefully a bit of better luck for me this year 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Wolfskuil

I was an EO on point 1 for about two months before getting the AO promotion. I am now on point 2 of the AO scale. They did try to put me on point 1 initially and I had to refer them to this circular, but no argument needed: they were embarrassed about their error.

There is no time restriction afaik, once you are on a point of the scale that is the basis for calculating salary at promotion. Of course, that cuts both ways: e.g. if you are promoted two weeks before next increment, tough luck!

• Advertisement

Hey , congratulations!! What OOM were you on before being called for the interview. And when were you offered the position? Trying to understand if they are still calling people from previous campaign to fill the positions. I know that interviews have stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 27 plaidshirt

Does anyone know of any sample presentations out there?

I'm not asking for answers on a plate, but I come from working in tech companies so while I'm comfortable making a presentation I don't know what cadence they might follow, or how you might provide references for data within a slide etc.

Does anyone know if PAS have any?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭skidmarkoner

If they ask you for references just tap your forehead and say "all up here baby" a quick wink and your guaranteed 1st place on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

EDIT:

The person I quoted already got a reply, I just didn't realise there were so many new messages, my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

Numerical isn't counted anyway, only have to pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Limerick1001

Hi there. Placed in first batch (I think) and have interview in 2 weeks time. I'm a recent MSc grad with about a year's work exp; is this a fairly normal profile on which to build my competency examples or are most applicants more professionally experienced? I think for one comp i might even have to use an example from my studies--Is this acceptable, generally?

It's my first time doing a competency interview like this so fairly unsure on technique and how I might cover all of the aspects of each competency with one example. For instance, the Spec Knowledge comp is particularly broad and even covers knowledge of the specific department which is obviously impossible given the nature of the competition?

Not looking for any specific help or assistance, just some general guidance would be much appreciated!

when I was interviewed in the last competition, they went through my application and asked how different experiences might have contributed to developing different competencies required as an AO, so try to shape the experiences to the STAR technique and it generally works. I felt my interview went terribly but I passed and was offered a job. No matter how irrelevant you feel the experience was (my experiences were limited as I had just finished my undergrad), you'll be able to show how you have leadership potential etc. from them! Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ffvvvvv

Hi! I had two friends who went straight into AO this year from their undergrads so I'm sure if you've the MSc under your belt and have experience you'll be more than good. I'm currently in the middle of my MPA and not worried about the competencies - a civil servant who used to do recruitment told me for AO that they're looking for potential not what you've done already. The same civil servant told me to focus on the main skills I have developed and fit them into the different areas. With a MSc, I'm sure you must have some ability to code and he said that is like gold dust so bring stuff like that up. Otherwise, try to match stuff you did in college, be it through societies or just in group assignments etc. to what they're asking for.

How are you finding the presentation part? I'm finding it challenging to pick one thing to work on as in the general comp the scope is s wide for what we could look at. I'm also being interviewed in two weeks as well so hopefully it goes well for the two of us and I can figure something out!

Advertisement