Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World cup 2027. Were do Ireland go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The lh situation needs to be addressed. I'd be happy to give the 17 shirt to Loughman, if he's playing well for Munster, to build up his confidence and experience. Beyond that there's Milne, who still has work to do.

We missed Ryan yesterday. He's definitely our best lock for rucking. But lock is a position that I believe we have substantial depth. There's ready to go young players in the system. I'm very high on Niall Murray, I think he could be a good international down the road. Henderson still has time left as does Beirne but, over the next couple of years we need new blood.

I hope Cian Prendergast gets into the 6nations squad. He's on the cusp and is the big physical blindside that we need. There's always the Baird to blindside!

We also need to develop a 12. Aki is old and Henshaw is injured frequently. McCloskey won't make the next worl cup. Would Frawley be worth a punt?

Lots of options and I expect a really good 6nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Spot on, we were just that little bit off. Playing South Africa & Scotland took their toll. New Zealand very fresh & their 2nd string will wipe the floor with Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Keep doing what they’re doing is all i can say, the last 2 - 3 year’s have been an incredible success when you think about it.

Favourable draw next time & who knows?

Will have absolutely massive support again in Australia.

We wont be only team in transition, this is That NZ teams last hurrah also.

Australia, Argentina, Wales, England, Scotland will all be rebuilding too.

Think France & South Africa will become the dominant force’s of the next 3 - 4 year’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not sure he did build a squad, he built a team, the bare bones of a team.

If we truely had a squad we'd be second guessing the team right up to it being announced, anyone could print our team sheet the day before it's announced. As I said already, the team we played against Scotland last week would have been playing the final had we got through and the lads stayed injury free. That flogging lads, mentally and physically. That's not entirely on him but he has to accept some responsibility.

And in a way NZ and in particular Schmidt knowing how our team lines out in advance gave him the little nuggets to work on to beat us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think we might see a dip for a year, but I'm confident it will be temporary.

I don't think there'll be massive change for the 6Ns. Obviously there's a gap at 10, but other than that the team could quite easily be the same it was last night with maybe Ryan coming back in and Healy on the bench. I'm not saying it will be, but there is never massive change in the immediate aftermath of a WC.

We'll probably see some newer faces in the wider squad like Osborne, Hodnet, C.Prendergast and Stewart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Were do Ireland go?

Simple... We go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's absolutely no need to have a clear out and equally there's no need to (it wouldn't happen anyway) not to target a 6Ns, that's our bread & butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Augme

You can target 6N while also building towards a world cup. However, only playing the same 25 baring injuries for most games isn't going to be hugely detrimental to winning World Cup. How we haven't learnt this lesson I don't know. If our squad depth is as good as Irish blfsns build it up to be, then rosting pskyers against the likes of Scotlsnd, Italy, Wales and England really shouldn't have a huge negative impact on our 6N performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

When will the draw be made for 2027?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shehal

It should be done in 2026, I'd settle for 2025 though as at the very least it would ensure the seedings arent a million miles away from being accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,208 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They need to bring in your man Stephen Kenny as manager/coach.

(Obvious not a serious statement. But a point being that the rugby lads made a decent effort. I wouldn't be beating myself up over not winning a tournament. 4 years is a long time until the next one)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We have Scotland; Wales and Italy at home this 6nations. There's no reason to be playing Healy or Murray. Seriously, today is day one of prep for the new cycle. We will have a good 6nations.

The S.A tour will be a great chance also to get up and coming lads into the cauldron.

I would expect to see Baird/ Prendergast to be the blindside option. Joe McCarthy to get more of an opportunity. I wouldn't mind seeing O'Toole start a couple of matches this 6nations.

I'm not too concerned with out half. I reckon Crowley is very capable and RB is a very capable back up. HB could get a look too.

As for P.O.C, I think he should be released. The l/o has been poor for a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

URC becoming more competitive with the South African teams will hopefully contribute to the development of broader group of test-ready players. Hopefully it'll also equip them with the ability to (continue to) front up in physical games.

Maybe Nienabar will be able to strengthen the winning mentality at Leinster.

Looking forward to the likes of Crowley, Frawley, Osbourne becoming involved more too. Ahern and McCarthy great prospects.

There are some reasons to believe we still have a strong foundation to build on in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Healy, wonderful player that he has been is 36... we really need to move on. Casey needs time over Murray and clock on POM also running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Obviously very hard to predict but would anyone have a go off predicting what our XV in 2027 could look like?

I’d be thinking 7/8 of last nights 15 are likely to still be starting.

Interested to hear what young players are expected to break through.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

There is no doubt Irish rugby needs a shake up. For me players with say 20 internatioalnal caps should be allowed play abroad and be available for international selection

I believe that having 4 provinces is actually a bottleneck and it is hindering the production line that we require to not only make a semi final but win the world cup

Ireland need more depth when it comes to all positions but especially in the forwards and even more espcually at prop.

Its a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

need to build a 30 man squad for the next world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

Interesting. Crystal ball stuff. Keenan, Hansen, Ringrose, Frawley, Stockdale (still young enough), Crowley, Doak, Dorris, Van der Flier, Baird, Ryan, Prendergast, Porter, Sheehan, a.n. Other.

Cant see too much change tbh. Lots of experience still around in four years.

Our last few u20s side's have been very strong so I would expect the next squad to be alot younger at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

We need to go into the transfer market again IMO. 5 All Blacks, 3 South Africans & 1 Australian would give us good options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Still some great younger players around who might improve to regular internationals. A lot can happen in 4 yes

Larmour, Balacoune, Lowry, Hume, Daly, Nash, Frisch, Frawley, O'Brien (Tommy), Prendergast (Sam & the brother), Stewart, Connors, Penny, Deeny, Osbourne, Izuchukwu, Doak, Ahern, Hodnett, Murray (Niall), Edogbo...and more that I've forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

No arguments here. Just think experience will count for the first XV. Good list though. Coombs another but I can’t get over his performance against the All Black 15 (second team) was it last Autumn? He was physically man handled that night but 4 years is a long time as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Van der flier is irish born and bred ,both parents irish also , he has 1 Dutch grandfather

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Our first game in the next 6N is France away. We'll most likely lose but we should be winning the rest of the games.

For the tournament, I'd like to see a 23 (injuries permitting) of;

Porter, Sheehan, Bealham, Beirne, Ryan, Baird/Prendergast, VDF, Conan

JGP/Casey, Crowley, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Hansen, Keenan

Kelleher, Loughman, TOT, JoeMc, TBC, JGP/Casey, Byrne, Daly

I think that team comfortably beats everyone bar France. The 23 needs to evolve without overreacting. Four wins from 5 gets us back on track and we'd be in a better place to build from than England/Wales/Scotland. In the summer and November, try out a few more guys with a view to winning a GS in 2025 (France and England come to Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,075 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

One area that I think were lacking is pace. Keenan is probably the only starter with out and out gas. JOB looked very quick when he came on as well. There was a noticable difference in the speed of the NZ backs yesterday. It's not everything by any meana, Hansen and Lowe have been outstanding, but I hope that guys like Baloucoune are given more opportunities. Someone like Jordan is such a weapon for a team, the ability to burn a defense from anywhere given a sniff of a gap.

If he can get a run of form without getting injured then I think Tommy O'Brien might be worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Happily take another QF final loss if we keep up that level of performance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Where do we start is the question. Is Farrell the man to lead us? I dont think so.

None of our fly half options look good enough now and dont look like they will develop enough. Do we go to the southern hemisphere and try to nick one?

I camt see us getting near to winning a world cup in 27. This was our chance and we blew it. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

We lost a close game was small margins we made errors and still if NZ don't make a fantastic defensive play and get under a ball at the line we may have won. Last night wasn't a disaster like other QFs. We had a nightmare draw and it's hardly a shock we lost a close game. We didn't bottle it as some mentioned. Will SA or France have bottled it when one of them don't win tonight? We keep going with the progress we have been making.

Advertisement