Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

This is literally gold mine. I went to my local recycling centre where I bring all stuff we separate once a month. While I was dumping plastic bottles in appropriate container I seen about 20+ bottles with re-turn logo on the bottom. They will get compressed with other bottles and money will be distributed between re-turn owners and shareholders.

While it is a fault of the people who do not bother returning them for refund honestly I do not blame them considering having to put the same bottle in for like 5-6 times till it is accepted or finding machines switched off or too crowded may simply put them off trying again.

The only beneficiary of this scheme is re-turn company. Just another stealth tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He was right about unclaimed deposits going towards the running costs of the scheme. If that was reported here correctly. We all know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

The money we are stealing from you will be used to fund us, to ensure we can continue stealing from you into the future.

So if they collect minimum 750k per day in deposits, and recent admission that one in five isn't accepted. Pretend every single one was returned, bar the one in five. Thats 150k a day, or nearly fifty five million euro a year in takings. Then add the many, many people who are not partaking which i would guess will be multiples more, and i wonder how does it cost ths much to run a company.

Maybe they have a diamond powered bullsh-t machine.

Considering the company doesnt provide the machine, service the machine, staff the machine, provide the collection trucks or drivers, run the trucks, recycle the materials or reply to customers or even provide a correct map of RVMs, thats a healthy turnover and profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

So you disagree with Red Siluians understanding of the system then? I do too but he/she seems pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Why do I keep getting notification of new messages here but there is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭standardg60

NT was an utter sh1tshow, the whole scheme is a set up between the DRS company and the retailers to benefit both. There will be no machines at recycling centres because you can't redeem the voucher there. Instead the 'hope' is that a charity will pay to provide one but they will get all the deposits.

Whole thing is an utter scam for me, the way he sneered at green bin recycling as being a failure cos it only reached 55% return said it all, he'll be lucky to match it. Seemingly it's a not for profit company, but if the scheme runs at a 100% return rate the company would be completely unviable. So the 'target' is 90%, and the less the better.

I was in a pub recently which served soft drinks in cans and was politely told that I was free to bring them with me to redeem the deposit. Who's going to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,989 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Someone posted up a receipt barcode here before. The amounts involved were clearly encoded in the string of numbers. No need for integration into the till system from that perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,823 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Has anyone got 2 vouchers issued by the same shop for the very same amount and compared the barcodes on them, are they the very same?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

There are many designers/manufacturers of RVMs & their associated digital tools & APIs . I took a look at this one:

Worth a read. It can be a very high end integrated online system at its best, and pretty much everything that was suggested here that is within the potential capabilities of an RVM system CAN be done. I had very much thought so. It’s just that Ireland is not doing it, and seems to have invested in very low end standalone systems with limited reporting capabilities.

For anyone to say that some posters’ suggestions are “nonsense” or words to that effect, well it is clear from my reading of this company’s software and hardware capabilities that said posters are spot on that such capabilities exist and are used elsewhere. Rather similar, in ways, to the integrated national public system we have throughout Ireland where you can borrow a book in Tralee and return it to Letterkenny.. very complex logistics apply, and with rather a lot of vans running around the country day and night servicing such capability.

Our ReTurn system COULD have real time public info on the machines plus a lot more. Maybe it will in the future. In fact I think it is inevitable as people won’t put up with 1990s type automation.

There's a barcode on the vouchers created by the RVM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The reality is that the Irish system was set up to limit non compliant bottles, like those made before the implementation of those from foreign sources.

They put so much effort into limiting the machines (at massive cost) that they've fucked up the bits they needed to get right.

This is an exercise in big business and greed, not a positive move for climate change, recycling or care for our environment...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Headed to Aldi. Out of order. Apparently when someone was putting in their cans the plastic bag they were using somehow managed to get caught up in the belt and jammed the mechanism 🤔.

Moved to Lidl. 15 cans accepted. It wouldn't take another four and a bottle no matter what I did. All were in perfect condition and in scope.

They ended up stuffed into the full rubbish bin outside the door as I needed the bag for my shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Quay_Koncept

Im kinda warming to this new return arrangement, I have not had any cans rejected only a few old ones that were not Return, (must of been sitting in house ages)

One interesting thing I have noticed thou, I walk along the canal quite regularly and theres always cans thrown around, ditches and in water. I have noticed a dramatic decrease in the last month or so. I went for a walk there this morning and didt find 1 can! Normally on a sunday morning there would be a few thrown about.

I just dont like the fact you have to bring them back to the shop you bought them in, I would like if you could for instance take it to your local recycling center and have the option to get your credit there while also dropping back my glass for recycling.

You don't have to bring them back to the shop you bought them in, you can bring them back to any shop that accepts returns.

Has anyone seen anyone trying the old string on the can trick? I assume it doesnt work of course as there would be a sensor that detected that no product had arrived further down the track!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some AH and CA threads have gone wonky... has been flagged on helpdesk

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

There was one report on RTE that this had happened, don’t know of the veracity but I imagine that not all RVMs are equal in technology &/or application of software. Another report said some outlets had to buy new machines. I guess “cheap” ones weren’t actually fit for purpose and lacked sine checks along the way. I don’t know how ReTurn apply criteria for machines & software to pass muster, I’m guessing checks weren’t properly implemented in the first place.

When I say I believe this system will improve considerably over time does not mean I approve of it, just to be clear about that 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is a lot of information on the Re-Turn site. I find that putting a word/phrase into the search box leads to many more menus than are on the front page. Some people who are looking for answers here could use the facility. This one is only up to 28 March, but gives interesting details. Wherever they got the map it shows Offaly (Kings) and Laois (Queens) in the county names.

https://re-turn.ie/wp-content/uploads/Managing-the-Transition-Period-Payment-of-Handling-Fees-Presentation.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Not exactly true. You do if you buy a 12 pack of coke cans in lidl, with no return logo on them but are charged a deposit. Lidl say return them back to their shop only as barcodes aren't accepted in the machines.

I was replying to the OP who said they had brought them back to an RVM without issue. If that RVM took them then any RVM would have.

Kings & Queens counties to clarify it for The Mainland 🤣 authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭elperello

False alarm.

Everyone knows Offaly is aka "The Faithful County" 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Transitional so the original point is still true

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I actually did this with some Multipack Lidl freeway brand coke and the machine would not accept them, they were older cans, i tried a good few times but the machine would not take them.

Is there a reason this system is not done also with glass? I see lots of glass get thrown in black bins which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Saw a man doing it in a motorway service station yesterday. I was sitting at a table with a clear view of him. First i was wondering what he was doing. I thought he was jumping mad at the machine and was smiling to myself at his frustration.

Then i noticed what he was doing and stood up for a closer look and followed his process as he did it.

So here is what he was doing. I was about 10 ft away and there was another guy standing beside him so the best i could see.

He had an empty can with a piece of fishing line on it. He would put the can in. And as the slider opened and the can dropped in, he jerked the can back very fast out of the machine. He repeated this at least 30 or 40 times and then printed his receipt. He handed the can to the other guy and he was still doing it as we were leaving.

Staff passed them several times while i was watching and none of them seemed bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,859 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You get 75% of your money back and Re-Chit-Chit keep 25%.

What you do with the items you can't deposit is not their problem. Thrown in a hedge or squeezed into a bin. They don't care. Why would they?

You lose, the environment loses and Re-Turn wins. That is all that is important.

That's what this scam is, we all just have to accept it now.

Obey the new Logo!!

Advertisement