Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm payments 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anfieldrd

Is BISS total Value the final figure or is there greening on top of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Back on topic.

I have to agree with Bass in regards to this being flagged from a long ways out. I stand to be corrected but did Irish farmers not get their advance each year well ahead of any other country? I do know that the Irish Dept is way ahead of almost every other EU country in regards to getting out as much to as many farmers as early as possible without any holdups.

It may not seem like this when you are coming up to Christmas and nothing looking likely to arrive until early into the new year.

Someone said about nothing into their account since whenever but thats farming.Either you plan around that financially or have stuff to sell in the lean times.Here its usually from February when last of hoggets sold until end of June when spring lambs start to come fit. No bills land here apart from the usual in that time as most big stuff (merchants, contractors,tax bill,insurance etc) is paid from August onwards. Been like this for years as thats when harvest cheque landed and bulk of lamb sales.Few bits at Christmas as that was when beet cheque would arrive.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Had to do similar here after being without money at times,

Spring is usaully the poverty time after settling end of year accounts.

I make sure to have one pen of beef cattle ready for January into February, so that money keeps me trickling away in the beginning of the year.

Also try at year end to put advance money in to any business account that will accept it (esb account and diesel account for example), as I've money from the payments coming in now but none in January onwards.

Been in the same troubles as posters here, but you will just have to struggle through with over draft and such this time and make changes next year.

Adapt and overcome as they say.

And another quote that I love now, having heard it on 'farm flix' is,

"if you always do what you always done, you'll always get what you always got".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just reading there the department can't confirm if they'll be able to adhere to the payment dates sent out in the letter last month as IT is under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

The IT system in Organic was shocking my payments were reguarly 6 months late, over years!! IT system blamed and that was that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Software breaks and rarely works properly when you plug it in first. That's normal stuff.

But Dept had 12 months to integrate the new parts into the existing system, test for bugs, estimate time to process applications, etc. That's normal stuff too.

There is zero incentive thou for them to get it working on time. Or zero accountability for it not working. It doesn't cost them a thought if the payments to farmers are delayed. What are farmers going to do? Complain? Storm Kildare Street? I don't think a cross face from any of the farm reps is going to worry them either.

There's two failures here: Dept's poor management and farm reps poor representation.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭green daries

The operator is the problem combined with the department getting taken for a ride

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Spoke to a senior senior Civil Servant few years ago, friend of brother;s and he had drink on him so who knows what he said true or not. But he said a certain amount of this is deliberate: money that money not spent on Ag might be used for HSE budgets/targets. Essentially a delaying tactic. Came back into my mind when heard of free contrapcetive for all women now on the cards. That then reminded me of this story. So we all become non binary and get a load of free Johnnies. Still rather my payments on time.

Ah now you can't compare like with like. Daughter gets the pill free every month. Dermatologist put her on it for acne, it's something like 7 euro a month, hardly breaking the hse budget. Heard today of one person high up in the hse on a wage of over 900k, that's crazy money. You'd get plenty of pills for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Dunedin

no one in the HSE on wage (salary) of €900k. However there are plenty of consultants making that via private practice work on top of a €200k salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kerrysoul

Does anyone know if you have to attend a 1 day training course before you are eligible to get an ACRES payment, or is the 85% advance payment paid to all farmers on the scheme.

I thought I read something about a compulsory training day which must be completed in year 1 of the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Sami23

Yes training day must be completed ASAP or you will not get paid.

1 day training course is mandatory. Think it’s €156 you get for attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm afraid you're wrong,

I'm always annoyed at how little value for money we get from the Civil/public service, I tune into an interview on the radio in the jeep where a guy claimed that if the Public service weren't understaffed they'd do nothing. So I suppose understaffing is another way of kicking ass

I've often said on here that there's no compulsion on the Dept, AG to pay the payments before Dec and to be aware of that.

One thing I've learnt with the banks (and I've had it as tough as anyone here with them) is that its as difficult to negotiate any figure for overdraft so you might as well add on 20%+ on your needs and have comfort. I 've walked out of a bank over this only to have the phone ringing here when I got home to ask me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In general it's not the top guys in large organisations like the HSE are the problem. Most can walk out the door and command it or more elsewhere.

At present the CEO of the HSE has imposed an employment embargo on administrative managers. They increased by 33% during COVID. The unions are starting industrial action.

Nobody is going to lose there job but it will limit promotion for a few years and workers will have to move areas of responsibility to manage the system.

It's the same with the Gardai commissioner and the need to revert to the ore COVID roster. Similar with the changes planned to the leaving certificate by the department of education

At a top level management in the public service is a hard earn.

Slava Ukrainii

salary scales attached. It’s the private practice that allows the consultants to earn such vast amounts and lazy reporting to say that their salary was €1m.

Private practice is allowed under the contract negotiated in 2008 and allows consultants to do private work on HSE premises- and boy do they cream it…..hence the report of €1m

new consultant contract in situ since march this year prohibits private work on HSE premises. New contract will see a salary in region of €300k but it’s not mandatory for existing consultants to change over. - only mandatory for new entrants. About 10% of perm consultants have changed to date.

There's no public servant worth €1m and only the public service would pay it without any performance requirement.

It's sad that so much of our tax money goes on poor performance and poor management from the public service

Any one earning millions in the private sector are usually worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Yes. All of the high ranking bank staff , and the higher echelons in the related construction sector that were on annual salaries of over a million before the crash were definitely worth it .

• Advertisement

Circa €200k would be from the public purse and balance is private work that the consultant (doctor) take on themselves outside of their contract hours. Whilst a lot of them do this in local private hospitals, many do it on the site of the hospital they are employed in.

As said above, this is entirely privately paid by people that chose to go private and 2008 consultant contract allows for them to work privately but use the premises and resources of public hospitals.

the new consultant contract from 8 march this year does not allow for private work on hospital site but they can still apply to their employer for permission to work privately off site.

and btw I’m not disagreeing with you for a second or saying that is right But hence why the consultant group are a very powerful and difficult group to manage within the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭amacca

I was listening to a researcher recently discussing top ranking CEOs and how little effect removing them would have on hhe performance of their respective organisations....I wish I could remember more of the interview

I've always suspected very few of them were worth the stratospheric renumeration and probably had to be borderline sociopaths with trains of human suffering and misery left in their wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

If you ever find that id be interested in hearing it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

What other employer would allow you to do private work on their premises?! I assume the hospitals at least charge them for the use of equipment etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I've a bad feeling that payments are going to be delayed even further this year. Nothing showing up on any of the schemes yet. You would usually see them approved or a payment date by now. Today week is the 17th, it will be interesting to see if anyone gets anything next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Left with a lump sump at year end and then taxed on that profit no doubt

Spent a good bit of today in casualty. Daughter very sick , as usual if you need treatment quickly you'll get it. Someone there since 4pm yesterday. Crazy busy. Assholes complaining.

• Advertisement

Just hope your daughter is ok. Everything is irrelevant when in that situation.

the problem with the health service is getting pass the initial bottleneck of A&E. once people get admitted, the treatment is excellent.

Advertisement