Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm payments 2023

Options
  • 02-10-2023 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Anyone else feeling the pinch of no September payment this year. Fairly under pressure now for the next few weeks till the Wean-ling sales start. Are we due a few quid in October at all? I know the SFP is usually in December but I'll have to go into hiding before then if i don't get a few quid in

Comments

No pinch this year thanfully, but pretty much every other year that September payment rescued me. It's a disgusting move that will put a lot of families under genuine hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What happened to the September payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thanks. But its still the same amount of payments altogether?

What is the point of the move then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone know a date for the 1st payment (anc) this month ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Dept are saying BISS is a new system so their computers (and staff?) need extra time to process everything.

Just don't remind them that they've had over 12 months to get the new system in place and tested.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Silverdream

Just a bit of muscle flexing by the Minister. I'll be ok as I can juggle money from another account at the end of the day but I know a lot of lads needed that money to settle contractor or Coop bills from the Summer.

It was poor form

• Registered Users Posts: 21,131 ✭✭✭✭Water John

ANC comes in first on the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's a one off year. It was highlighted earlier in the year and we have known since April/May. If lads are dipping into SFP to pay day to day farming bills they are probably as well.off without it.

Farming and Beef farming Isa cash business. You should structure it as such. You need a fund, but lads choose to keep spending the money elsewhere.

It's similar with cashflow in any other part of your life you need displine in managing money.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Dunedin

That’s a great help to the OP. I’m sure he’ll appreciate the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Exactly.I was trying to explain about managing cash flow to dairy farmers here a few weeks ago but they simply didn't want to know. After all the money they made last year they claimed they hadn't the money to pay their tax

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Silverdream

September is a tough month for many farm families with kids back to School etc I've been in that boat and it's not easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

I don’t think you understand as much about finances as you like to portray you do on here.

What you’re saying is grand for a lad that’s semi retired and has a pension, or maybe even for lads with off farm jobs as well. But I don’t think you understand the difference between this and lads that are paying wages or paying a mortgage and running a house off their farms.

You often talk about how profitable your system is on your farm but you’ve never said what salary you take from it or how much it contributes to your mortgage every month?

As a contractor I have to understand all of these things as there’s no point trying to get blood from a stone so I try and give every lad a chance to pay his bill and be as flexible as I can. Talking rubbish about what the cash flow and cash discipline from the farm should be isn’t much good to the man with a house to be paid for and kept from the farm.

Post edited by DBK1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

When anc payment is paid then everything else follows which means you can pay out bills not necessarily farm bills. If anc payment held up then usually there is a problem which means you have to watch what you spend till it comes in. Maybe I'm on my own on this 1 but I'll spend nothing till anc is in as all money needed for household bills. Also the cynic in me thinks that there is a problem with new system and there will be delays and they held of paying so loads of angry farmers didn't land at ploughing to cause trouble in dept tent like what happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

If your weanlings are fit - can you go earlier. Limestone cowboy said Gort mart prices were on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Main payment will be a little over half what it was last year here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Green acre

A Disney trip to Orlando, for a family of four, all in, will cost you €7.5K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

As @manjou said you are a little nervous until you receive then ANC money, as usual once u receive payment for it on time then the rest will follow. If you don't receive it then it's phone calls to the department until next March until you get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Farmers Journal had quite a helpful page last week where they outlined the expected dates for payments. Cant remember if just mentioned month. I meant to take a picture of it but unfortunately forgot and cant find it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Missed direct debits and a few bounced cheques will make people look bad on credit ratings. The department sent a text alright that payments will be later this year than previous years. Even a few hundred would make a difference to cash flow in September to a lot of people in disadvantaged areas. There was no need for that to be delayed IMHO.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

It is not acceptable full stop. Just because you can manage without it isn’t much good to the thousands that depend on it to pay bills and those further downstream that depend on being paid such as contractors feed and fuel suppliers etc.

No organisation worth its salt should have accepted a delayed payment . If the DOAFM is worried about overpayments they have the ball in their court and can recoup overpayments like they did with BEAM .

Doors should be kicked in at this stage if only for the optics of it. There must have been fifty Department staff at the three days of the Ploughing so the line about being under pressure staff wise is nonsense

The best thing you can tell people is the truth, it might not be nice but its better in the long run. I have told the BIL for the last two years his silage is sh!the and he needs to change the way he makes it. The penny is finally dropping there.

It's about managing cash flow. Most lads in beef are working nowadays, there wives are working it's a matter of managing you money. If you look around most people that have money problem just cannot manage money.

I see loads of couples on the OAP not able to spend it, they have there car, there household bills( electricity oil fuel house insurance etc) all managed and other cannot. There is usually one if three reasons, cigarettes, alcohol or gambling. It's the same right through society but now you have the added discressonary spending.

First off I have not touched my pension fund. At present the farm and the rental pay for all my necessities. It pays my diesel bill,car tax, insurance and maintenance. House insurance, broadband and mobile phone heating oil and coal.. Health insurance, the management fees for the holiday home, any maintenance around the house( last weekend a lock collapsed in the back door at home it cost about 220 to get it sorted, there is a crack in the glass of the door as well and that will cost another 60-100 euro) I replace the lawnmower's, hedge cutters string trimmers etc ( two of them last year),

I buy the odds and ends of the household messages asI am passing a SuperValu every day usually about 30/ week, herself buys the main shop. The dog and cat food come out of the farm account.She books the holidays I bring the spending money or if we are out it's always I have cash on me. The church on Sunday is the same

The farm put the kids through college while they were there.

As you see above just about everything along with the farm expenses. But that was not what I was referring to in my post. I remarked that farming and beef farming is all about management if cash flow. There is 100k+ goes through my farm account it the management of that which I referred.

We knew since last April/ May that the SFP was going to be about 30 days later this year. Ya we would all prefer it was not. However that gives you 4-5 months to put a plan in place. It was not sprung on us last week.

Yes I agree we should all be hoping there is no hiccups that will delay the rollout of payment and of the first one clicks the rest will also unless there is an issue with ACRES or the fodder scheme.

But farming is a business and sh!t happens in business. I have a 10k overdraft on my farm account. I have not used it for 3-4 years. I used it alot before that.

I was speaking to a Eastern European a few years ago. He commented that in the Irish education system there was no real business/ personal money management training. Neither was it done at trade or farm training

In eastern Europe it was originally introduced after the collapse of the communist system. It was something after he said it that I consider is a significant weakness in a lot of smaller farm businesses.

Slava Ukrainii

The best thing you can tell people is the truth, it might not be nice but its better in the long run. I have told the BIL for the last two years his silage is sh!the and he needs to change the way he makes it. The penny is finally dropping there.

It's about managing cash flow. Most lads in beef are working nowadays, there wives are working it's a matter of managing you money. If you look around most people that have money problem just cannot manage money.

I see loads of couples on the OAP not able to spend it, they have there car, there household bills( electricity oil fuel house insurance etc) all managed and other cannot. There is usually one if three reasons, cigarettes, alcohol or gambling. It's the same right through society but now you have the added discressonary spending.

First off I have not touched my pension fund. At present the farm and the rental pay for all my necessities. It pays my diesel bill,car tax insurance, house insurance, broadband and mobile phone heating oil and coal.. Health insurance, the management fees for the holiday home, any maintenance around the house( last weekend a lock collapsed in the back door at home it cost about 220 to get it sorted, there is a crack in the glass of the door as well and that will cost another 60-100 euro) I replace the lawnmower's, hedge cutters string trimmers etc ( two of them last year),

It put the kids through college while they were there.

As you see above just about everything along with the farm expenses. But that was not what I was referring to in my post. I remarked that farming and beef farming is all about management if cash flow. There is 100k+ goes through my farm account it the management of that which I referred.

We knew since last April/ May that the SFP was going to be about 30 days later this year. Ya we would all prefer it was not. However that gives you 4-5 months to put a plan in place. It was not sprung on us last week.

Yes I agree we should all be hoping there is no hiccups that will delay the rollout of payment and of the first one clicks the rest will also unless there is an issue with ACRES or the fodder scheme.

But farming is a business and sh!t happens in business. I have a 10k overdraft on my farm account. I have not used it for 3-4 years. I used it alot before that.

Slava Ukrainii

Second payment is on the 24th, can't remember which, but it could be BISS. Organic and Acres are Nov/Dec I think. Could be wrong there. Contractors and coops would be well aware of payments delay this year.

It is part of my income. But farming is a business and managing cash flow is part of the skills of running a business.

I cannot understand the mentality in farming that every f@@king thing is a mini crisis. We got told about this last f@@king April. If it's that f@@king critical to cash flow do what any other businesses dose get a f@@king overdraft.

In most other countries in Europe farmer struggle to get there payments in an orderly manner. It is acknowledged by the EU that the Irish department is the most efficient and effective in getting this payment paid. Actually most years we get them paid before we should

And this year because there is a significant change in the structure of payments ( significant mapping and other technical changes) they notified us 4-5 months before payment that they was going to be a delay. They are spending taxpayers money and have to get it correct. Will they make mistakes yes, however they will fork out the bones of 1.5 billion between now and year end.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Water John I know of a meal supplier rep that called to a big dairy farmer recently looking for some money towards his account. The dairy farmer told the rep, "his payment wasn't in this months budget" I would say they are hearing similar quite a bit. I always pay AI once I get the statement of account in September as I am finished with them until the following May then. I rang to pay the other day, they were surprised told me they aren't expecting payment until this month. But in fairness I got a better discount than normal so there was a benefit.

I think you're being blind to how many farms do operate. What's been paid into farmers accounts since f@@king April, sweet f@@k all, which we're used to - that's fine. But it's f@@k all use to those farmers who planned on a September payment to give them a "flegging" of "live horse and you'll eat" by delaying their first payment after the hungry gap so to speak. When there's no farm income in Summer because what was drawn down late last year already has been spent on running the farm, cost of living increases, unforeseen expenses etc. and certainly in my area big sales haven't been long going on, sales which would already have been factored into dealing with bills, it's shag all use in practical terms to get told there's a delay. You can't spend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Brother is manager of a kids soccer team, they play during the winter, fees were due in September, half of them still haven't paid. 300 each! Crazy money at that time of year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

No one here yet has said it’s a crisis, the only overreaction is your own with all the f@@king. The op stated if it’s not being paid until December he’ll have to go into hiding but that shouldn’t be the case as they are scheduled for October so I hope it’s not a crisis for him/her either.

It’s ok for people to be annoyed about these things without being under pressure for the money. At the end of the day it’s money that’s due in and if a lad just wants to look at it sitting in his account that’s his own business and it’s not up to me or you to tell him he should or shouldn’t be doing that or be annoyed about not being able to do that.

You may not have touched your pension fund but where did that fund come from? If I remember correctly it’s only a few weeks ago you posted here that you were 20 years farming? You have also stated before that you worked in a well paying job and aren’t long retired from it, I assume that’s where the pension fund came from? Again as I said previously that’s very different to lads that are trying to pay for all, including their pension fund, from the farm.

Advertisement