Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Finally got the enthusiasm(?) to make a playlist, three songs from each artist. On way in to work starting listening to it. By the time I got to Gerry Cinnamon work was looking very attractive. So far music even worse than I remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I don't do streaming so no playlists, I'm going through the acts on utoob giving them two videos for the benefit of the doubt, i lasted 10 seconds on behatted gurning fuckwit before wanting to hurl something at the tele.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭rubick

Tried Thee Sacred Souls, not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Have been checking out the fifth tier myself, Bricknasty seem alright if nothing else is on, Jalen Nagonda seems pretty good like someone who would crop up on Later with Jools. Nieve Ella doesn't seem too bad either I think she was at Glastonbury last year. Spiritual Cramp seem quite rocky. So fifth tier some stuff alright, wouldn't say I was blown away but not too sh1t either. Amble from the fourth tier I caught a bit off at Wild Roots last year, a folky harmonic three piece who are no too bad if nothing else on. The clips I've seen of Artemas (pretty brutal so a nope). Darren Kiely (Nope), Jazzy (pop sh1te, Nope), Moncrief (Yeah a good singer alright but noooope!!!), Newdad (showing promise may check them out), Ryan McMullen (naw, good voice an that but singer songwriter pap really). So maybe another five or six acts from these two tiers I might check out. There just seems to be an overwhelming amount of singer/songwriter acts than actual proper bands infiltrating the lower tiers as well as the top tiers.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Checked out Spiritual Cramp so far. They've been added to my very short list.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Wooderson

haha

Was in the Despacio tent when they played Si Si Je Suis Un Rockstar. One of my all time fave EP memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Nice to see Cian getting international recognition. Best electronic/ambient/eclectic show on radio I reckon. Starting a club night in Cuba (Galway) this weekend and hopefully some or other EP Booker has grabbed him.

You not seen NewDad around town BD? Regularly playing here before they moved to London and have been back for four gigs since.
    Bricknasty played the Róísín last year with some other bands, entertaining enough and I’d give them another look. Though they were an act that pulled 120 to a headlining gig so again FR didn’t shell out much there.

Lot of time for him. Wouldn't mind going to a Disco Dana at some point. He played B2B with Sean Johnston for a couple of hours at ATN a few years ago. I think he was the guy that found the fisherman that gave Andrew Weatherall the 'Fail We May, Say We Must' quote.

He’s getting a lot of hype these past few weeks. Finally. He did a 20th anniversary show live in the Róísín and had some bands play (Ships, Mount Kimble, etc) but not a big crowd. This may be his time.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/2024/04/20/an-taobh-tuathail-presenter-cian-o-ciobhain-you-meet-people-who-are-very-passionate-about-the-show-thats-mind-blowing/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its just living out in Oranmore Seath, the 404 bus service can be a bit flaky at times like the last bus from Eyre Square not showing up sometimes can be expensive to get a taxi, so that's why I'm not in the city regularly, I was lazy enough when I lived in Salthill but would be more inclined to go to a gig or a session in the city centre.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

This is from last year, his celebration of Andrew Weatherall on what would have been his 60th birthday.

Listen to AW60 - ATT Special - 06.04.23 by Cian Ó Cíobháin on #SoundCloud

EDIT - sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don’t disagree, but he’s a businessman running a business. He has responsibilities to the shareholders of Festival Republic and the people who work under him. From a commercial POV EP has gone from strength to strength in the last few years. I remember buying tickets in August during the years I attended (‘10 - ‘17) because it never really sold out.

Yeah the lineups are sh!t now but that’s only a small part of the equation for the people running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ruanmcg

Who let Milton Friedman on a forum about a music festival…

Also it was definitely sold out around the 2014-2016 years, those were the years when everyone I knew was going and I remember people spending crazy money (for students at the time) on resale/touted tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭Fanirish

he has doubled capacity and 4x profits in last decade. Not a bad going.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭antfin

The question that can't be answered until it comes to the crunch is whether goodwill and brand loyalty is being lost in pursuit of short term profit. If there's a downturn or they get it wrong one year for some reason or a newer shinier thing comes along are the newer customers that they have changed the booking policies for going to keep coming back? That said, the regular attendees over the years may also have dwindled away anyway as life progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭Fanirish

By august a lot of people will say they had a great time.
    plenty of other options for people who want a smaller more interesting line up

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭shovel

Hi all

I'm hoping the helpful posters here can help me out with some ticket information please.

First time festival goers in our late fifties

I booked two admission tickets and my wife THOUGHT she booked a campervan pass.

It turns out that there's no pass in her account and no money was taken.

Entirely our own fault so that's that.

Camping in a tent is not an option due to medical reasons

I have two options

Hope a campervan pass becomes available or sell on the two admission tickets

I have no experience of anything to do with festival tickets and if or where they might become available

What would any of ye do in this situation?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Keep an eye on ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

His leadership helped get Glastonbury on to a much more solid footing as well. I’ve no idea what he’s like as a person but he’s an effective businessman when it comes to event management at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Yes you’re correct.

EP has sold out every year from 2013 to now, apart from 2015 where it reached 47k of the max capacity at that time 48.5k.

That’s not bad going considering the capacity was also growing from 35k to 75k during this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I haven’t attended EP in a camper, but I know demand outstrips supply every year, these tickets are like gold dust.

One thing I will say is many purchase camper van tickets without having a camper sorted, you may get something 1-2 weeks out when reality hits them, but it’s a brave strategy to hold out so close to D-day!

Currently you can’t sell your ticket to another punter like in the past, you must sell to TM. I assume camper ticket is now the same? So TM is your place!

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Camper ticket comes as a hard copy and is delivered to people a couple of weeks out.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Would you consider a B&B in the vicinity?

I know a friend who used go every year, and always stayed in a house close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Made a Playlist yesterday, and have started giving everyone from the lower tiers a fair shout.

My observations so far:

1. Lots of depressed solo artists in the line-up
    2. Lots of said solo artists, are lonely men, singing about break-ups (e.g. Dean Lewis - Be Alright)
    3. Quite a few songs sound exactly like generic, x-factor montage music (e.g. Moncrieff - Warm)
    4. Raye sounds like a modern Lily Allen/Kate Nash
    5. Noah Kahan isn't terrible - reminds me a bit of Mumford & Sons - would be fine in the build up to a strong headliner
    6. Gerry Cinnamon is grand - shouldn't be headlining
    7. Lots of ok music to chill out to during a nice afternoon with a few drinks. Nothing yet, has grabbed me, and made me want to hear them headlining with a crowd
    8. Current music I'm willing to give more time to:
      1. The Teskey Brothers
      2. Jessie Murph
      3. Dasha
      4. Good Neighbours
      5. Big Sleep
      6. Artemas
      7. Spiritual Cramp

Post edited by CuriousCucumber on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Campervan tickets are generally like hens teeth.

You'll need to be 'camped out' on toutless and be quick if one comes up…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

as others pointed out, these are very difficult to come by, keep an eye on toutless but if it was me and I didn't have a promise of one a month out, then I'd be flogging my tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭shovel

Thank you for all the helpful replies. Boards really is the best!

I'll keep trying Ticketmaster for the time being.

Toutless is not taking any new members, because of scamming, unless recommended by a member, but i will try and contact them and plead my case for membership.

Thanks again @scruff monkey for the time to sell them recommendation. I know that nothing is certain but you have given me a indication at least.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Maybe you could contact @Toast , a fellow Boardsie, a good egg and the main man on Toutless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Mucker46

So having listened to all on the poster for the main arena (most got the three song listen but quite a few didnt) slim pickings indeed. Ones knew and want to see Kasabian, Newdad, Waterboys, Faithless, Ethel Cain. Known and ok to see Kylie, Nas and Sophie. Potential new music that deserves another listen Artemas, Spider, Teddy Swims, Big Sleep, Eyedress, Spiritual Cramp. So 16 in total probably will end up at 10-12. As I normally see 30+ in a weekend there is a lot riding on 2nd announcement and Jerry and Salty. The listening has confirmed my view that the lineup is poor and there is so much boring music on it that it is depressing at a time when lots of good music out there. Decision on whether to go still in the air.

Advertisement