Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Tastes are different and change

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

That's a pity, the only other gig I was going to apart from the four festivals I'm down for working for.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭jams100

Only 4 out of 11 of who I thought would originally be added to the bill. (Still expect Two door to be added later).

Overall reaction is the same as most here, weaker than previous years, but, for me there will be enough between this and hopefully second annoucement to satisfy me, considering the price with the loyalty ticket.

The Friday is particularly weak, hopefully Kasabian headline the EA that day so I can stay away from Kahan and Gerry.

Kylie is definitely a coup (Only have to look across the pond where she is charging £100+ per ticket). I think the Raye / Kylie mainstage will work and barring no major clashes, which is very likely as of now, would warrant a visit. Also, I think kylie has the pedigree to headline any fest, very harsh to be lumping her in with Kahan or comparing to The Killers etc. (Would be very easy to see the Killers in Ireland over past 3-5 yrs vs Kylie and they are playing 3 nights again in 3Arena this summer).

On peoples point of ATN, Forest Fest or Wild roots competing, personally, I think they really lack any decent headliners…even as bad as headliners are this year there a few decent ones at EP in Kasabian, Tesky Bros, Waterboys and Tom Grennan. There's little disputing that EP lineups have gotten weaker but in my opinion are still far ahead of competition, but the other festivals really are targeting a more specific audience.

I'm holding out hope that 2nd annoucement will fill many but not all of the voids that currently exist. Either way, I'll probably have a bit more time to explore the smaller stages and salty dog etc. so every cloud and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Well sure Grover but that's not really the point. A serial Glastonbury attendee like yourself understands the concept of a quality bill. I'm sure you'd have a few choice words for anyone telling you you're too old for Glasto. There's stuff there for 18 year olds, there's stuff there for 70 year olds and sometimes, that's the same stuff. That concept embodies the beauty of music and I don't think that has to change from generation to generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Nobody, as far as I can make out, has put Forest Fest forward as competition for EP, just as a different music event for people who've ditched their ticket. Obviously it's not remotely in the same bracket but is filling in a few of the gaps that the modern day EP is leaving. ATN is certainly competition for a wide swath of hitherto loyal EP punters. No need to be comparing 'size' of headliners, the likes of the National and Slowdive beat the pants off this years EP headliners in the only metrics that matter to most on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The "tastes are different and change" thing is the worst. Needlessly provocative.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

Silly question but i am gonna ask it ...have the day tickets for EP gone on sale already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

fair play if you emulate the atmosphere of a major festival in your back garden, you must have some garden and a lot of friends! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

That’s a truly daft comment about Cave. The Bad Seeds headlined a much smaller EP in 2005 but Cave was back with Grinderman subbing to the Valentines in the EA in 2008. The Bad Seeds then headlined the second stage at Oxegen 2009 and have subbed at their last two Glasto appearances including before the Mumfords in 2013.

They thus don’t demand top billing at larger events and wouldn’t expect it at EP in 2024. They’d not be happy to sub to Noah Kahan or Calvin Harris but would have no issues appearing before the Arctics or Killers. To write off any act like that is stupefying unless you consider them to have no musical DNA in common with the likes of the Pixies, IDLES or Tame Impala. #BringBackTheBadSeeds

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭antfin

I'd have to agree. ATN is already looking more like the "traditional EP" than EP now looks! Based on the first announcement I'd have maybe 4 or 5 acts at EP that I wouldn't mind seeing, which is a low enough bar. From the first ATN announcement I'd happily go to see The National, Roisín Murphy, Future Islands, Slowdive, Sprints, Paul Kalkbrenner, Maribou State, King Kong Company, Øxn, Floating Points, Kiasmos, Soda Blonde, New Dad, Glass Beams and that's before I dig into those that I'm less familiar with. Comparison with Forest Fest is probably not fair since its not set up to have the same areas to explore but ATN could certainly begin to eat some of next year's picnic (pun intended) in terms ticket sales and attracting acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Forest Fest need to move away from the gaah club to take it to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I suspect they don't do them for general punters now, capacity has increased so there's less need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Won't last long in here with this level of positivity.

Glad to see some more level headed approaches to the line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭Fanirish

yeah locals, sponsors tickets and artist guestlist are the only ways to get day tickets for EP 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Kasabian in Belfast on the friday unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭joinme

Just had a listen to the sign crushes motorist track 'better' that has 58m streams. It's grand, very lo-fi and sounds like a demo recorded in a bedroom. How it has got that many million streams I have no idea. Maybe tik-tok has helped!?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TenPicnics

That is not the problem. Seems pointless to bother explaining any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭crl84

Yes, and managed to get added to several popular Spotify playlists.

what could of been EP 2024

Snarky Snark Snark

Have NOT Of.

• Advertisement

Lots I like. Much I don’t care about. A lineup that caters for lots of different tastes á la Glasto. No reason EP cannot be in that vein.

Btw, despite consistent disagreement on this I still think there’s a big chance of LCD playing EP. 20th anniversary for the act that’s probably appeared most. From Malahide to this Spanish festival five weeks later the band have only one weekend free. Any guesses on which one?

Snarky Snark Snark

that could well be the obligatory rock star coke and hookers weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭endainoz

They'd need to start selling out first, and it's still a very new festival, needs to make a reputation for itself. Its also unlikely it's making a profit, but that is the case for most new festivals, they tend to work from a multi-year plan to make them profitable. Keeping the losses down I guess would be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭sh89000

ThIs was meant to be the cala mijas festival line up in malaga.....they had issues with the site and it was apparently moving to madrid. Kalorama lisbon shares more or less the same line up as cala mijas past two years.

Went to the 1st cala mijas, had planned on going again this year. May look into madrid now

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Synergism

Between Kalorama, Lowlands, Paredes de Coura, All Points East etc. there’s no shortage of interesting mid/lower tier artists touring Europe during August, it’s almost impressive that EP have managed to book none of them. That’s the biggest sign of a further shift in booking policy/overall direction, the top tier is always going to be a mixed bag but the dross has crept further down the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Af least a couple from APE (Nas, Ethel Cain) so hopefully more to be announced from there.

A House playing the Workman’s in July so could Jerry grab them for his tent? Couse has played EP before, early days. And what a grumpy set that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭rubick

Further to LCD Soundsystem and their subsidiaries - can't remember where I read this (possibly the OOF Discord) but Despacio are cleared for multiple shows this summer in Europe. At the very least surely we could see it back again because this frayed rope to which I'm clinging to whilst dangling off the side of a gaping chasm doesn't look too sound.

• Advertisement

no despacio at EP, soulwax/2 many djs playing elsewhere over EP weekend.

Advertisement