Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭sh89000

Wouldn't particularly call it a fall from grace. I think they've done pretty well since Tom left.....…I would have never pictured myself seeing them again without him but have done so multiple times and I've honestly preferred the gigs post tom.

Serge is a gifted front man, the olympia gig was one of the most enjoyable shows (and sweatiest) I've been to in recent years.

I'd imagine they'll be EA on the Saturday? They'd be unreal in there compared to open air IMO

Their headlining latitude this summer and done NBHD weekender last year or kendal calling....one of the two and they done pretty well on the festival circuit last year being high up enough on a lot of bills.

For anyone going make sure not to miss them, I'll be catching them in Belfast before liam

Post edited by sh89000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

@Wooderson Keep the comments coming dude, I like your sense of humour. I don't understand Fanirish, EP almost balanced the Smaltzy pop with some decent rock and electronica, why change something that doesn't need to be changed. Like Noah Kahan and Kylie could play why not some rock act aaah it will probably balance out a bit with the further announcements, but it seems that first announcement to me seems deliberately bland or as Hicks puts it, ' When did mediocracy and banality become a good image for the youth ' and I'm sure quite a few young folk feel the same. Will still work this I'm curious to what this abomination of a line up will attract.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Seen Kasabian 3 or 4 times years ago, but not for a good few years at this stage. Their gig in the Point about 15 years ago, with my pregnant wife, is one of my favourite ever gigs. Absolutely superb live, and they have the songs to put on a real show. Agree that EA late on the Saturday would be great for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭TenPicnics

Your lowest-common-denominator approach to what a good festival is screams ignorance/stupidity.

That comment about Nick Cave??? FFS would you cop yourself on. Nick made a ton of brand new fans at ATN in recent years, people - lots and lots of young people - who went to see him at ATN although normally, outside of a festival, they wouldn't - BECAUSE THAT'S THE WAY GOOD/LEGENDARY FESTIVALS WORK. Sorry for shouting but I had to get past the crap blocking your ears. Nick Cave was for many the highlight of that festival. And for existing fans like me, his performance at ATN was one of the best musical experiences ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I don't agree with a lot of your points as the festival could have a lot more balanced approach. The people going for the "festival vibes" aren't overly pushed about the line up.

However there are plenty of people that I know now clamoring for tickets purely to see Calvin Harris and Kylie.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭sh89000

Yeah I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with them post tom. Their also doing a huge outdoor hometown gig in Leicester this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

For those that use it. Eco camping is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rubick

Um.

Wat.

Can't seem to bring this up, is it working?

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Is the BYEco ticket sake live? I can't find it on the Eventbrite site and there's been no notification that they were going on sale.

Snarky Snark Snark

For anyone harbouring any hopes of the Bothy band turning up at festivals, all their gigs are now cancelled due to Lunnys health.

Snarky Snark Snark

I did get e-mail from them, will grab and paste linky.

update : looks like a boo boo was made, linky leads to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Same as @rubick, nothing coming up on Eventbrite nor on any Google or social media searches.

Well that was an interesting couple of minutes.

Got Ezra Collective tickets in the midst of a bought of Eco Camping Ticket Anxiety.

Snarky Snark Snark

very odd, i didn't hallucinate the mail into existance

and it's not a phishing exercise (though that would be one helluva niche exercise)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Fanirish

It’s not a quality perspective but Nick Cave isn’t an EP act anymore. He is not popular enough to headline EP and his agent won’t have him sub a Noah kahan or Calvin Harris. The agent will rather have him headline smaller festivals like ATN or his own headline shows. The same can be said for Bjork and a bunch of artists who headlined back in the 2010’s that people bring up on here every year on their shush list.

Snarky Snark Snark

So essentially we need Merve the Swerve to come out and tell us good and proper that we're too old and to **** off to a festival that caters to fans of black and white cos he's only providing 4k OLED HDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah I'm a big fan after seeing him, I was familiar with a few tunes but a lot more not. His performance at ATN was simply infectious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭TenPicnics

What you meant to say was EP is not EP anymore, because that brand USED to mean quality and diversity. It is now an entirely different brand, one that is less appealing to people of all ages who are actually into music and good festivals. You justify that on the basis that it's all about selling the tickets, any old dross will do because the majority of 75k punters don't care. Those people were in a minority for most of EP's history. Sad they've taken over and they have the likes of you shilling for them. Shame on you and that bollix Benn.

So Melvin has taken something beautiful, stripped it for parts, filled it with artificial sweetener and served it up at a markup.

Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭endainoz

Seen them in King Johns Castle last summer, fantastic gig, supported by Thumper. They are definitely taking themselves a bit less serious than they used to, and that's certainly not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Wooderson

With the ire heading Melvin's way on 'ere I feel seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Fanirish

I’m not justifying it!
    but yeah if you double your festival capacity then it’s not going to be same brand.
    With doubling capacity they now book extremely popular/expensive acts like Billie eillish, Paulo nutini, Niall horan, the killers more easily and the double edge sword is now they have to book acts of that ilk cause you are now trying to sell 75k tickets not 32k.
    and a line up consisting of Nick cave, Bjork, new order etc doesn’t have the same draw and those acts might not want to be subheadliner to a Billie eillish,noah or Fred again.
    a stupid analogy would be a team getting promoted to the premier league, they can now afford more expensive players and talent that worked in getting them to premier league needs to replaced to keep them in the league and not relegated.

Post edited by Fanirish on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Eventbrite error ref Eco camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

This on FB.

A yes forgot about Tom. I’m not a huge fan, I can take them or leave them. Chose to leave them at glasto14, going to massive attack on the other stage and glad I did!
    But this time around if they were playing EA and Calvin was on the main stage, that’s a no brainer! Calvin all the way😉!!

Calm down you’ll give yourself a nose bleed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ruanmcg

It's a good point about the tastes of the youth of today. Obviously the latest post-punk revival has been big over the last 5/6 years. I've noticed in Dublin there's shows in smaller venues like Cellar, Sin E, Bello bar featuring bands of late teen/early twenties playing distorted guitar rock music quote often. In the last few months I've seen a few young bands with grungey, shoegazey sounds absolutely rock out. Obscure bands like Duster have had unexpected explosions thanks to tiktok and are now bigger then they ever where, reunion shows are full of young kids. Nu-metal is going through a weird sort of re-appraisal, particularly Deftones who even got booked for Coachella this year. The likes of NewDad who have a slightly more polished version of a 90s grungey/gazey sound are quite popular among younger people atm. I'm 28 and feel like Gen Z are way more into heavier alt rock music then people my age ever were. Obviously this doesn't apply to the 18-24 age group in Ireland at large, but it's definitely an interesting trend.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Irish 19 year old Sign Crushes Motorist, which is essentially a Duster tribute act, has over 4 million Spotify monthly listeners (one of his tracks has 58 million streams), for comparison Gerry Cinnamon has 1.4 million….

Post edited by Ruanmcg on

Advertisement