Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Have one of the bigger 2 man pink moon dome tents @315 up on toutless. Moonlight meadows (fka pink moon village)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Internationally the Killers are pretty incomparable to Kylie by any metric. They can, and do, headline any festival including Glastonbury and Coachella. I cannot recall another festival where Kylie has headlined nor any significant one where she would.

Her album sales are 20m globally (source Chartmasters). She sells next to nothing in the biggest market, the USA. The Killers album sales are over 28m.

Her monthly streams are 15m, the Killers are 24m. I’d enjoy seeing Kylie as she’s got some great tracks but she’s a far weaker, and cheaper, booking than the Killers. Same goes for Noah Kahan versus Billie Eilish. And as for trash cheapshit bookings like Kodaline, Gerry Cinnamon………

Given the increased finances available to FR with increased attendances ya gotta ask the old John Lydon question:

‘Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?’

No gunman BD but a fake threat to her headlining Glasto in 1989. You usually have to leave your assault rifles at the gate there and collect them on exit.
    I was there and it was pretty dull. Maybe most of us went along in the hope for some drama. Certainly more anticipation for that than anything at EP 2024. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Fanirish

she was suppose to headline Glastonbury back in 2005 but had to cancel due to cancer. She has been very much an arena stage production kind of artist, those pop artists with elaborate stage shows are not well suited to main stage at festivals. Multiple costume changes, dance routines etc rarely if ever work on festival stages.
    Kylie fee would have equal if not more than the Killers. She wasn’t a cheap booking by Melvin.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭darzog

yesterday - bin fire. This evening - a You Tube EP 2023 walk-through in an attempt at a redemptive cleanse / reset of the demons. Made me realise that despite Mr. Benn’s attempts to push us to the perimeter and then another 50 foot beyond that again, this is what my picnic has been this past five or six years. Salty Dog. In the dark. Far from the madding crowds. Cans ahoy. Like-minded souls. Not all bad. To those who choose to stick it out this year, I look forward to seeing you down the front.

• Advertisement

and Noah kahan and Gerry cinnamon are not cheap bookings, easily between €500k -750k each for those two to play a festival in 2024.

That’s two decades ago when she was arguably in her prime. She was replaced by Basement Jaxx. Would you have them headline a 75,000 festival in 2024?

And has Kylie ever headlined a decent sized festival? Or any festival? I don’t think she’s a bad booking by any means but to put her in the same bracket as the Killers is again absurd.

The fact that you’re there @darzog, plus @rubick, possibly @desk tidy and two of my pals may lead me to reassess my withdrawal.
    Now if Pet Sounds is on again I may need to beat a path to Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Yeah I was angry about it yesterday. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the more quirky elements of the festival and the smaller stages and not be worrying about missing anything. Was nearly going to sell the tickets as buy Forest fest ones. Lineup there is class but would there be much more exploring to be done bar the music?

Any sources to back up those figures? You surely realise that your credibility is not the finest given the relentless supply of false information you’ve furnished us with.

• Advertisement

Brain phaaart

For me, EP is 95% about the music and although some elements have been needlessly/ruthlessly stripped-back (body & soul), there is more than enough on the ‘fringe’ stages to keep you occupied for 72 hours.

As a 50+ punter, Mindfield looks more and more attractive with each passing year. Opportunities for a nice sit-down and a free coffee even though the protagonists insist on ruining the vibe by conducting something called a “podcast” (no, me neither…)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭crl84

500k for a headliner is cheap as **** in this day and age in fairness.

The Killers were getting 500k for EP a decade ago.

It's nota big fee for a big festival whatsoever. I'd say EP would be delighted with any headliner asking for sub-700k.

As for Kylie being a big booking, 4 years ago no-one would give a **** about her. She's undergoing a bit of a nostalgia resurgence after the Glastonbury legends slot, and her first big hit in many years, but in 3 years she'll probably be back where she was a few years ago. Someone said she had a massive crowd at Glasto and could have headlined, but so did Dolly Parton and Craig David. It's easy to pull a big crowd when you've a few cheesey hits that have been around for 20 years that everyone knows and are on at 4pm in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Had a great year there last year and a lot was away from the main arena but there was some great stuff in there, Idles, Lightning Seeds Johnny etc. This year very limited so far so big disappointment but let's see what has yet to come. Meeting you and others from here has also been a real positive so hope we don't lose too many

Kylie had a massive hit recently. The killers were in their prime in 2005 and haven’t had a hit song since human in 2008. The killers are more of a nostalgia act than Kylie at this point. It’s not knocking how much people love those 4 or 5 songs from hot fuzz and one or two other songs from the next two albums.

Kylie had 100,000 people at her Glastonbury set, the biggest crowd at the pyramid that weekend and the most viewed on bbc, more than the killers had at the same festival.

As I already said pop arts are not suited to festival shows and they work better as a full arena of stadium show. Madonna has not headlined any festivals to my knowledge, don’t think lady Gaga either has in decade it just nature of their type of show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

How about not booking them at all and telling them to fcuk right off.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Wooderson

I was at Dolly (she mimed) and caught the last tracks of Craig D. Both crowds huge but neither at Kylie's level. A pop icon bordering on cultural icon. Whisht with the stream stats vs the Killers.

Unsurprisingly agents and promoters don’t advertise the negotiation price they agree for a festival. But the infamous John Reynolds versus festival republic court case in 2013 they disclose that the killers were paid €500,000 to headline back when capacity was only 30,000.
    lol at relentless supply false information.
    Gave a bunch of ATN acts weeks ahead of announcement, said b&s was cancelled months before they announced it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Give it a rest lads we are depressed enough after yesterday don't need back and forth on prices/streams etc. This forum will end up like EP with people walking away who have been here for years as it has changed to banal sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Madonna has headlined Slane although not a camping festival but a standalone outdoor show.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

By massive hit you are again referring to Padam Padam I assume? No 8 in the UK, No 19 in Australia and didn’t chart in the US. If that’s massive and one of the metrics for a headline slot then I’m beginning to fancy my chances.

During the Glasto Legends slot there’s little to no alternative on other stages in the late afternoon. It’s easy to draw a crowd and everybody doing that including Dolly, Kenny Rodgers, etc have drawn an enormous audience. For which you cannot get reliable figures btw. 100,000 a media invented figure, nicely rounded up. It didn’t strike you as a randomly selected number? Coincidentally the exact same number as the Guardian reported for the Rolling Stones there. The same publication reporting 200,000 for Dolly, losing sight of the fact that would be 62,000 over the festival’s capacity.

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/29/dolly-parton-at-glastonbury-2014-review

The Killers headlined Glasto twice and turned down another headline slot. They could easily headline again. Kylie will never get invited back.

I’ve no idea why you continue to defend FR policy with the false equivalence of the Kylie & Noah Kahan bookings matching The Killers & Billie Eilish. Try that with your pals in the pub.

Dolly didn’t mime. I was there also. It’s peoples’ lack of understanding of HD live processor issues which you often see with international news reporters. Gets misreported in tabloids or on Facebook. Posters on social media say it every year about some or other singer and it’s usually the women they pick on.

So therefore no source for the claims of fees for Noah Kahan and Gerry Cinnamon.

And no false info on acts for EP 2024? I think you need to go back and edit your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

In a word, 'no'. It's a very compact festival with no bells and whistles.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Agree let’s leave the MainStage empty for Noah and Cinnamon and use the €1.5m odd to make the festival free flow 😂😂

She didnt mime the whole thing, agreed. But there isn't a snowballs she sang Jolene live mate.

You may indeed be right. By Sunday afternoon at that event my head is never right. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭haitens

I'm sure Lionel Richie played the legends Glastonbury slot a few years ago? He didn't sell out St Anne's Park and had to add Human League to help sell tickets. Don't get me wrong I like Kylie but saying she's a festival date moving artist because of the crowd she got at Glastonbury is ridiculous. Also if Gerry Cinamonbuns is getting 500k fair fcuks to him

Advertisement