Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Did people say similar about Duran Duran? I can't remember. Loved their showing at EP too. Super fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭glennponder

Slightly off tangent here but if those fees for gerry cinnamon and kodaline are even close to accurate, how are forest fest managing to fund their line up without making a huge loss, there's some big names on there for a 10k capacity is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

500k spent on The Saw Doctors would be better spent

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭rockterrain

I think this is the critical point despite FanIrish's feeble attempts to derail you. It seems the strategic problem statement EP now operate under is "how can we further dilute the festival year on year while maximizing profits".

Your point on Killers versus Kylie is valid, not just on substance but style also. For all the weak line-ups of the last couple of years they at least had one solid proper pop rock headliner band aka The Killers or Arctic Monkeys. By the way these would probably be more sub headliners in comparable European festivals but ok, we'll take it. Unfortunately this year there is no such act occupying the main six slots which is a critical point for me in making this the weakest line-up yet and puts final rubbish to the Melvin claim that the festival has "something for everyone"

I'll go further if I may. At least last year there was the likes of Johnny Mar and Idles further down the bill, fairly substantial rock acts in their own right. Again, this year doesn't seem to stack up on that level. You could argue Kasabian go somewhat in that direction but it's a lazy attempt to "tick that box" especially in the context also of no Fontaines DC who were touted to appear.

No issues with Kylie being there by the way but the rest don't stack up. Perhaps in the next announcement there will be some much needed rebalancing but I won't hold my breath. I can see Forest Fest really reaping the rewards from next year if their line-ups keep getting better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭crl84

I keep seeing Forest Fest referred to on here and I feel I must be looking at some completely different festival.

A few largely washed up, one hit wonder (IMO) 80s acts, a few forgotten 00s UK indie landfill acts, some minor Irish rock acts from the 90s, and a few small Irish acts from the last 20 years.

It certainly has plenty of names people would know but not big names. I doubt EMF, Stereo MCs, Ocean Colour Scene, The View or some version of Dexys Midnight Runners are looking for much.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

At least forest fest looks curated, and with a set target audience that it hasn't had any problem filling over the last two years

James and suede last year were huge draws.

The line up this year is a little less attractive for me personally, having seen THL, OCD, divine comedy, stereos, and the various Irish acts.

But there certainly enough in glasvegas, wedding present, kerbdog, undertones (you know, ACTUAL rock bands) .… plus bad manners and those various Tribute acts are always good fun.

The one thing forest fest can't get away from, is that it's on a gaa field. That leads to huge compaction , a problem for some, but at that target audience, a godsend for others

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Phishwax

I can’t see the hype here for Forest Fest. I’m in the my late 20’s so maybe that’s it. A festival that books the view & is on a gaa pitch is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

That's a pretty arrogant view, Phishwax. They had James, Suede, Peter Hook, Suzanne Vega there last year Laughable doesn't seem an appropriate descriptor.The pitch is a drawback. Would it help if we called it a field instead? They have a clear vision of who they're aiming at, an ambitious booking policy that's in line with that, have put some care into the details, drink, food etc Iknow there were issues with the calamitous weather last year but any festival promoter that recognises that people don't stop listening to music when they're 22 has my best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Northernsoul

i was at Kylie in Glastonbury, no way 100,000. More like 60-70. I was also at Elton which was closer to 100,000 i reckon. Just going by what a packed Slane Castle feels/looks like and adapting for the Pyramid Stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

saying she was able to pull 60,000 is not exactly talking her profile down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Sad times, my 2 tickets were snapped up, sad that I sold them and sad that they went so quick.

Melvin must be laughing his arse off knowing the shīte he call pull and still have a demand for tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I take it now that it will be late July to early Aug before we get the rest of the stages?

Be interesting what ATN add next to their line up, and will it cause a (tiny) migration away from EP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭pah

We should be talking about how Noah Kahan is headlining not Kylie FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭hold my beer

He's headlining because it's a festival aimed at the younger folk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

The Killers and Arctic Monkeys headline every festival they play

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I think they got a cautious welcome here and then went down very well with people. I thought they were brilliant and loved the effort they put in. No phoning it in.

I’m also happy with Kylie as a booking, she’s just not of the stature of Billie or the Killers. There’d be few complaints if she was listed alongside the likes of LCD and the Fontaines. Even Noah Kahan and Calvin Harris are acceptable as headliners but seeing Kodaline and Gerry Cinnamon at the very top of a 75k festival reflects extremely badly on the bookers. It’s money spent unwisely (or not spent at all) and I don’t believe the reaction to the headliners is particularly aimed at her. I could be wrong but for many here she’s the most acceptable of the top six.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I think the criticism is mainly of lazy journalists pulling a figure like 100k out of a hat for want of a more accurate number. I’m with you on looking forward to her (if I go). Several great singles. I just think that Lylie is unfortunate to be lumped in with the garbage at the top of the pile. Undeserved, though she’s not a booking of the cost of Billie or the Killers which we went over as nauseum yesterday. If the weather holds she could do one of the most memorable Picnic sets ever so no complaints at all from me.

I’d also enjoy Sophie-Ellis Bextor too, for the same reason. Two superb tracks enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I was at Kylie at the Cork Feile back in the mid-90s. It was really good. Nick Cave joined her for Where the Wild Roses Grow. I can't remember if she was headliner or not. That's almost 30 years ago. By god, she was hot back then.

It will be a fun 1.5 hours anyway. Bit like going to a Take That gig. Probably wouldn't be top of most peoples list. But when there, it can be enjoyable as we'd know most of the tunes from growing up with them

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Hank the DJ

Kylie is the only 1 of the 6 headliners that I might have went to see, I'm sure it'll be a great show and a real feelgood way to close out the main stage.

I know there's a hell of a lot more to the festival and it shouldn't be judged on just those 6 but out of the 50 announced I might go and see 6 of them, and for me it's about seeing acts, last year was saved by the weather but I knew coming away there would have to be something massive to pull me back, a 1 hit wonder, a DJ are not what I was expecting.

TLDR: Kylie is not the issue.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Agreed, Kylie is the only one who is actually a proper headliner. She has a following which spans 5 decades, buckets of hits, and is a top notch performer.

Noah Kahan is really a one hit wonder, done a couple of collaborations which are known to some, and has one current hit of an album. He has no reason to be headlining the likes of EP, and is a pure example of the lowest common denominator booking that EP have applied at post COVID. They realise they don't have to attract ticket sales, so putting on the "new shiny thing" as headliner is incredibly lazy and parsimonious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

They're all shite. It's the main stage though so that's to be expected these days. The worrying aspect is the lack of anything in the mid/lower tiers. Spiritual Cramp, Eyedress and Thee Sacred Souls the only ones i'd be looking at, and at a quarter decent festival i probably wouldn't even bother. It's real desperation/clutching at straws stuff.

I'm hoping ATN will get some Green Man-bound acts as there's not one single crossover at EP the same weekend.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Mucker46

The mid tier is awful for me. Over the last number of years generally spend little time at 5he main stage and have no issue with that but need then to see good acts in the lower tiers. Last year had idles, Johnny, lightning seeds, wet leg, amyl this year the pickings are very slim and not of the same calibre (kasabian, waterboys, faithless (interesting to hear what they are like without maxi jazz) newdad, Sophie Ellis (for nostalgia like Kylie) ethel cain) about it for me (do need to research a few). Need Jerry and Salty to pull it out to make it worth going. Can anyone remember did 3 all for music announce anyone that was not in first announcement last year had a few good gigs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Melvin did an interview with Kieran Cuddihy

Melvin touching on the broad demographic of EP, everything from babies to grandads

“Calvin has been wanting a long time so it’s finding a date that works for him”

Friday: Jerry Cinnamon & Noah Kahan.
    Saturday: Kodaline & Calvin Harris.
    Sunday: Raye & Kylie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I expect a slashing of the Grandad population in Stradbally this year. Hard Shoulder exclusive 2026, 'We've everything from babies to Leaving Cert students...'

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

The only additions for 3 all for music after the April poster look to be City Stages Collective, Mae Stephens, Chasing Abbey, and Debbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭TenPicnics

Wait, that quote from Melvin suggests the festival date was changed this year because … Calvin Harris??? Already I can't believe EP has sunk so low, but that would be even lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Mucker46

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Rfrip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

I know ticket selling/buying isn’t allowed on here but would it be ok to ask anyone thinking of selling back through Ticketmaster if they would be happy to give us a quick heads up here before listing them? Maybe more chance of a fellow boardsie getting them.

Everyone seems to be hating the lineup yet no tickets showing at any stage on ticket master. It’s so frustrating I think I’ve developed a Ticketmaster addiction 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭riddles

Advertisement