Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 NFL regular season thread (no picks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agree with this.

Shanahan playing it safe at half time was the only thing he got badly wrong and Lafleur hardly did a great job with his timeout use (seems to be a consistent issue with Kyle and his tree). It wasn't as if Kyle wasn't scheming guys open, he was and Purdy was just missing badly. Only other quibble I'd have is that Kyle seems to build too much of his game plan around individual players and if that player goes down then he struggles to shift approach. Again, it was more noticeable because Purdy wasn't connecting when he should have.

The good thing is that nearly everything that could go wrong went wrong and they still won it - something many questioned that they could do. Purdy having his worst game (likely due to the rain), early injury to the guy they'd game planned to feature, FG blocked, long return, fumble not gathered, uncharacteristic dumb DPIs and penalties, Kyle being conservative at halftime... Only place they got lucky were Purdy's dropped potential INTs, which I know are huge.

Hopefully they've gotten that poor game out of their season and this will stand to them for the last two games. Next weekend is looking like fine weather and then the SB is in Vegas so hopefully no more bad weather Brock this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

He just seems to coach super tight sometimes in close games, very conservative which is not his style 90% of the time, can be frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

It’s was crazyyyy, just the relief at the end was immense. I hate the stadium but come playoffs, it’s always going to be insane, tickets were actually super cheap because of the weather, soft ass Californians are afraid of the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 39,560 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

10-10 at HT in the lions and bucs game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Mayfield is a battler

17-17 after 3rd quarter. You’d think that the football gods would give the lions fans an easy win but not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Gibbs with a long touchdown run. At 0-0 early the lions were on the 8 yard line, Gibbs 5 yd run, 2nd and goal from the 3, Goff throws a terrible pass that should have been intercepted and Montgomery falls down and loses a yard straight up the middle. Why not continue with what was working? 7 instead of 3 there and it's a huge difference. Sometimes I wonder is it that simple, or am I missing something. Lions 24-17, and just got the ball back, entertaining game

Ballgame for Detroit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It didn't matter in the end but going for the 2 point conversion on the first touchdown is a bad move

The analytics/mathematics argument only makes sense if you make the first 2 point conversion,you don't make it and it means the best you can do is tie the game and you've more chance of losing.Whereas if you kick the extra point on the first touchdown you're virtually guaranteed overtime and if you want to make a ballsy move you can go to win the game in regulation by going for 2 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,642 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The analytics is a joke. The people doing it are bad at math. I'm good at math and I'm constantly thinking wtf when you hear a commentator saying analytics says go for it.

There was a game a couple of weeks ago where a team was up by 14 in the fourth quarter and they say analytics say go for it. Like the math clearly says take the field goal for a three score lead but the analytics 'experts' say go for it.

There is so much more into it than the simplicity they use. It's different for every team you face. Going up against the Ravens or 49ers needs different math to a decision you'd make against the Commanders or Chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

That was a good game... 4 hours is some slog, though.

Kansas @Buffalo on now.

Delighted for the Lions. I hope they go all the way.

I guess 49ers fans will experience what it was like being a Patriots fan for 15 or so years when everybody wanted you to lose. I think the whole world outside of 49ers fans will be shouting for the Lions.

If Mahomes pulls this off tonight I'll start believing he is going back to back. In my opinion Buffalo are the hottest team in football right now. If they get beaten here then the Chiefs will have raised their level enough to go all the way

Unreal to see Mahomes off target with so many throws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The entire Kelce family really are tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Josh Allen is fantastic. Fair chance we'll see a Bills v Lions Superbowl and it would be a first for both teams to win it.

Stevie wonder reviewing the touchdown.

This is an incredible battle, it's the best football we've seen this weekend. Two great teams.

51 points on the board early in the fourth and it's not because the defenses are bad, it's the supreme quality of offense.

WTF was the fake punt on the 20 yard omg

Crazy play, what was McDermott at. At their own 30 they go fake punt and fail. Leaving the Chiefs with a short field. That could be the game. A TD gives them a 10 point lead.

• Advertisement

Strange call. But it looks like Hardman has fumbled at the goal line. Bills could have escaped through pure luck

confirmed... jesus they're lucky. what a bonehead call to fake punt

Omg, Hardman fumbles at the two yard line and it goes through the end zone and out of play. Bills ball, they got away with the stupid play.

oh that's a nasty hit his neck got the worst of it, not good.

ah **** that would have been spectacular

Bills get stopped then the Chiefs get stopped but there's a controversial penalty and the Chiefs get a pass interference call on a play that's legal if the ball hasn't left Mahomes hand and it looks like it hadn't.

Edit: The Bills get the stop immediately after that on the next three downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Damn.

Turning into a defensive battle. One more first down wins it for the chiefs. Had a funny feeling about that field goal. Very buffalo thing to happen. Chiefs in victory formation. Good game coming up in Baltimore next week

San Francisco very lucky last night, key missed field goals in that game and the Buffalo Kansas game, fine margins in this game. Scoring must drop significantly in late December and January games. Tough conditions, 51 points in this game, but none in the last 14:20 of the game. That's a bit mad

• Advertisement

Thank **** Kansas won that.

Now we won't have to listen to "Kansas would have beaten you" or "You only won because you dodged Kansas" when we win the Vince Lombardi.

Advertisement