Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 NFL regular season thread (no picks)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,798 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well this analytics stuff is awful. I don't know who the mathematicians are but they are awful.

I've seen so many times the commentators say its a go for it when the numbers say not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Let's hope next weekend serves better fayre than the one just gone.

I don't think you can blame Patricia, that defense had fallen asunder before he took over calling the plays.

I don't know what's going on with them, maybe there's a bad locker room presence causing problems, maybe it's the coaches attitude. They don't look like a happy bunch at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭myate

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭FantasyFool

Taking his spells in Detroit and Philadelphia into account- would you be happy with Patricia coming back to New England as DC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I am not blaming Patricia on it all, I am however saying the Eagles defense was doing badly and managed to become worse after Patricia took charge. When has anything Patricia touched ended up positive when he didn't have Bill directly overseeing it and the area was Bill's specialty? The blame falls on Sirianni for being dumb enough to have a problem and believe Patricia was the solution.

If you want to find a bad locker room presence it is Sirianni. To have your young QB tell you to tone it down during the Super Bowl is embarrassing.

Eagles also have a load of holes on their team. For the last few years all the media have salivated over the Eagles picks when it reality the players haven't performed in the NFL, while the Eagles' approach has ignored vital areas of their team. Either Howie hasn't 'been getting away with theft' or Sirianni has done a terrible job of developing them.

I wouldn't mind, he knows the system and did a good job there before and Mayo worked with him.

I'm hoping Steve Belichick stays, he's great friends with Mayo and he did a great job with Jerod over the last few years.

Fir his own reputation he should stay. If he follows Bill he'll always be looked at as a daddy's boy. Stay in New England, do a great job and he'll be a head coach himself in a couple of years.

This is Patricia's first defensive job since Detroit. It's very difficult to take over with four games remaining in the regular season and sort a defense out.

I don't think any blame can be directed Patricia's way. I'm not saying he'll work out long term, nobody knows how he'll do as a defensive co-ordinator outside of New England but he hasn't had time to this point to get any blame for a unit that fell apart before he took over.

I agree about their drafting and all these Georgia signings. You pick the best whether they come from Georgia, Alabama or Texas Christian. You don't go after a group that all come from the same school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

A Lions vs Packers conference final would be awesome. Only shame it wouldn’t be a snow game in Lambeau.

I'd argue it is difficult to go into a poorly performing defense and make it even worse. It went from being bad to absolutely atrocious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,654 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Have to fire Sirianni after that **** show last night and the previous seven weeks I think it is. Brian Johnson needs to also go because as OC the eagles are one dimensional. I’d fire both Sean Desai and Matt Patricia because they both made the defence utter ****. The players didn’t even seem to care last night.

They conceded 34, 42 avd 33 points in the three weeks before he took over. How on earth are you coming to the conclusion he made it worse?

And as I said, it's close to impossible to improve a defense that late in the season. He should have stuck with the man that was there, nothing was going to change in four weeks..

It's likely if you get a new head coach he'll bring in his own men with him. If Sirianni goes the rest are likely gone with him.

It looks now like the key personnel were Singleton and Gannon.

The Eagles defense looked like they didn't even care out there. It was so bad that both the live commentary team and the Mannings called it out.

Those three games you call out were against the playoff teams of Bills, 49ers & Cowboys. Patricia went on to concede 25 & 27 to the 4 win Giants and 35 to the 6 win Cardinals.

Patricia was worse in basically every metric to assess defensive performance (Patricia's full 5 game sample is in the replies and it isn't far off this).

No point in going around in circles further on this. Your never ending support for everything Patriots, current and former, no matter the evidence against your point of view, has beaten me once again.

Here you go again with your crap that I'm defending everything Patriots.

Patricia didn't have an off-season or training camp with that defense.

Neither defense nor offense looked like they were interested. Aren't we putting all that on Sirianni?

Quoting some unknown twitter guy and using the Mannings as your backup is laughable.

Patricia is not a Patriot now. I even said In one of my posts that you've quoted 'I'm not saying he'll work out long term, nobody knows how he'll do as a defensive co-ordinator outside of New England'

It's you that has the Patriots problem, anybody connected to the patriots has to be attacked at any given opportunity.

Even Brady and Belichick were fair game for you for a long time.

It's time you focused on your own team more and copped on to yourself.

Tell me what team I go around looking to attack every player or coach from like you do with the Patriots?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Patricia is <Snip> and a garbage DC. He can duck right off

Post edited by adrian522 on

Show me the stats you have on his whole career as a defense co-ordinator that make him garbage.

You have five games with the Eagles without a training camp, what else have you got pertaining to him as a DC?

Mate, Patricia is a trash coach. The Pats D was poor with him, the Lions were terrible, and the Eagles D is terrible with him. If it looks like **** and smells like ****...

He was the head coach of the Lions not the DC.

The Patriots were the best defense in the league in 2012, top five another three times, seventh once and eleventh once in his time as DC in New England.

That top defense got fairly shredded pretty frequently in the playoffs. 2014 games vs the Ravens and Seattle. 2015 got beaten by the corpse of Peyton Manning, 2016 got shredded by the Falcons, 2017 got shredded by Eagles.

I can't believe someone is genuinely arguing against the assertion that Patricia is a terrible coach.

• Advertisement

A terrible head coach I'd agree with but his record as a defensive co-ordinator to this point is very good. If he gets a job where he has the job through training camp and fails then it's fair to criticise him.

You cannot criticise him based on what he's done as a DC to this point.

I'm not confident he'll be successful either. I'm just saying he has to be given a proper chance before it's okay to say he's a failure.

Doing it now is baseless.

Also you left out the Colts who scored seven points on 2014 and 24 points isn't getting shredded.

And the Broncos scored 20 to beat us in 2015, that's not a defense getting shredded. Only conceding 20 points a very good performance. And the offense was responsible for giving great field position to the Broncos on one if the scoring drives.

I could go on but I won't.

It's not baseless tho. The Defenses he was in charge of did not perform well. It took Brady and the offense playing out of their skins to win 49 and 51, and they wasted one of the all time great performances in 52, getting absolutely torched by a career back up in Foles.

Since when is giving up 24 points a dreadful defensive performance? And the Seahawks were averaging 28 per game in the postseason.

Onto the Falcons, do you remember Alford's pick six? The defense have up 21 points in that Superbowl.

52 was just insane, both defenses were ripped to shreds. You get games like that sometimes. And Foles was awesome, he looked like the player who finished Donovan McNabb's career.

Edit to add: You are bringing up Superbowls. Note that I never mentioned anything about him being the DC of Superbowl champions. I'm strictly sticking to facts about performance.

Those were pretty relevant performances, the most important ones in the sport. The ones a DC gets 2 weeks to prepare for. All of those games saw the opposition QB having an excellent performance. Contrast that with the 53, and the defenses performance with a worse roster imo.

Edited to include stats.

Wilson in 49: 12/21, 247yds + 3 runs for 39, 2/1 td/int 110.6 rating

Ryan in 51: 17/23, 284yds, 2/0, 144.1 rating

Foles in 52: 28/43, 373yds, 3/1 + 1 receiving, 106 1 rating

Points scored against you is the only number that matters. 24 against a Seahawks team averaging 28 in the playoffs is a good performance. 21 against the Falcons was an excellent performance.

QB rating doesn't matter, passing yards, rushing yards, receiving yards all don't matter. It's what you allow them put on the board.

The Eagles game was insane, the other two were good defensive performances.

You've got nothing, just admit it. Wait a year or however long it takes Patricia to get a DC job. There's every chance you'll be right then but right now you are plucking at straws.

You're off your rocker on this homie, he's abysmal.

Just give it time. There's every chance you'll be proven right but you've nothing to back your opinion up yet.

I'm not saying this stuff because he's an ex-Patriot. I'd be saying the exact same thing about any coach with a similar situation.

Sean Desai was the defensive co-ordinator during training camp, he's still listed in that position. At this time he's the guy that's ultimately responsible. It wouldn't surprise me though if we learn that' Sirianni and his attitude were the reason for how things spiralled downhill on both sides of the ball.

Ravens in a blowout and Packers to keep 49ers arses twitching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Interesting stuff, time to step up CJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Lamarr Jackson reminds me of Ice cubes father from Friday, John Witherspoon.

Advertisement