Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 NFL regular season thread (no picks)

Options
  • 03-09-2023 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭

So here we go again, 18 weeks of mega action incoming, starting with Detroit Lions at Kansas City Chiefs at 1am on Friday morning, followed by the usual full slate on Sunday evening.

Other notable dates

Week 11 Nov 20th Super Bowl rematch - Eagles @ Chiefs.

Week 13 Dec 3rd NFC Championship rematch - 49ers @ Eagles.

Week 17 Dec 31st AFC Championship rematch - Bengals @ Chiefs.

Thanksgiving 23rd/24th Nov. Packers @ Lions. Commanders @ Cowboys. 49ers @ Seahawks. And the first Thanksgiving Friday game - Dolphins @ Jets at 8pm our time.

Christmas Day (a Monday). Raiders @ Chiefs, Giants @ Eagles, Ravens @ 49ers.

Playoffs start Jan 13th leading to the Super Bowl February 11th in Las Vegas.

Betting

Very open as always. Chiefs 6/1 to run it back, Eagles 8/1, Bills 9/1, 49ers 10/1, Bengals 11/1. Super Bowl Winner Betting Odds | American Football | Oddschecker

Television

Nothing much has changed. Sky Sports will still broadcast all Thursday, Friday (Thanksgiving) Saturday (December) & Monday games. They'll also show a 6pm and 9.15pm game on Sunday. Channel 5 UK will simulcast the Monday games. ITV/ITV4 and Virgin Media will broadcast 2 of the London games.

Enjoy. It's going to be great - it always is.

Post edited by ArmaniJeanss on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Risoc

What does (no picks) mean?

First time in the Fantasy game and I'm a Cardinals fan so it's going to be lots of RedZone for me.

Looking forward to seeing Stroud, Anthony Richardson and continued development of Trevor Lawrence.

Bengals my tip for the Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There's a prediction league where everyone guesses the winners of the games throughout the season, no prize or anything just for fun, but some people felt it was drowning out the actual discussion of games, so there'll a discussion thread with picks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Some people felt it was drowning out the actual discussion of games

it was one person from memory and let’s be honest the amount of discussion has dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm being polite to not scare off the new people.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I thought the two threads worked fine last year. To be honest I found the picks thread a wee bit annoying as well - you see 10 new posts on a Tuesday morning and think something interesting must be happening, but its just a series of "11-5 this week bringing me up to 41-23 for the season" posts.

But the two threads have their place and can happily co-exist. Or if this one dies and people stick to a different thread so be it.

Anyway @paulie21 usually runs the picks thread, so I'll tag him here and if he hasn't got it started by say Wednesday evening, I'll open another one with the list of Week 1 games and people can start their selections etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Think the week 11 matchup could be a MVP decider. Eagles win and Hurts should be MVP for me, assuming that the rest of season goes as planned. Honestly, that eagles roster could be 10-0 going into that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Looks like Kelce avoided a season ender, likely miss a few weeks still

The mobile version blocks posting tweets now but the headline from ESPN about Sean Payton telling Russel Wilson to worry less about his brand if he wants to resurrect his career was the first W for him this year.

The lack of self awareness last season was telling and he gave the same sound bites whether the broncos were winning or losing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I like everything about the Lions from the straigt talking Dan Campbell to their latest draft picks. I think this will be a very high scoring close game.

Mahomes is magic and he has done incredible things since his second year in the league. There are question marks over his receiving corp but he still has Kelce and as long as he has him you are going to have receivers open.

Anyway it's great that it's back and I'll be a happy man until we hit the playoffs and I realise theres only a few weeks left.

6.00 pm

Thursday night/Friday morning 1.20am

Lions v Chiefs Sky Sports

Sunday 6pm

Bangals v Browns

Texans v Ravens

Buccaneers v Vikings

Jaguars v Colts

Titans v Saints

49ers v Steelers Sky Sports

Cardinals v Commanders

Panthers v Falcons

Sunday 9.25pm

Raiders v Broncos

Dolphins v Chargers Sky Sports

Eagles v Patriots

Rams v Seahawks

Packers v Bears

Sunday night/Monday morning 1.20am

Cowboys v Giants Sky Sports

Monday night/Tuesday morning 1.15am

Bills v Jets Sky Sports

Post edited by eagle eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

looking forward to seeing what we have in Love, very young team but huge potential and also hoping for Rodgers to play 65% for snaps for the jets and to stink at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Always a great time of year with few injuries and every team having a chance...

Looking forward to seeing Lamar have an injury free year hopefully, the last two Ravens seasons have just tailed off into mediocrity. And going to catch a game in Maryland for the first time in week 17 woot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

Looking forward to a good game, I think be close but Lions could edge it, I think they have a strong run game and with Chris Jones missing and wanting to keep the ball away from mahomes for as much as possible they lean on that, plus kelce out is a big loss for the Chiefs offence and I'm not sure who's going to get them targets

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Intriguing game so far, Lions look good on both sides of the ball. Mahomes' three plays for the Bell TD though, just brilliant.

Awful pick 6 that's on Toney. St. Brown is brilliant, having a great night.

First upset of the season and well deserved in the end. The importance of Kelce to the Chiefs is very clear when others are dropping straight forward catches, that ultimately decided the game.

Time to pay Chris Jones.

And the lions go into arrowhead and beat the chiefs. I saw the INT live and there’s a picture online showing Toney as the ball is in his hands and yeah it was perfectly placed by mahomes so yes that should be caught.

Toney dropped another one when wide open near the end of the fourth quarter, would've had YAC too easily. He was horrendous all game.

• Advertisement

He should have caught but it wasn't really on target, it was slightly above where it should be but he still should have caught it.

I agree it was slightly off but for someone talked up as WR1 for this year, it's a must make play. He has had no preseason but even that shouldn't matter in that instance. It'll be interesting to see how he responds now, 10 days to put a few things right (for a few players).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Not every throw was perfect but my word that receiving core was horrific. They need a WR and not another gadget player.

Mahomes did a lot moving the chains with his legs but Hutchinson was wreaking that offensive line as well.

Still feel Goff puts a but of a cap on the offense. He is good but he generally had all day to throw, a good run game and good receivers. Might be different in the All 22 but I would have expected more points from that offense.

Goff isn't great but he's a improved each year he's been in Detroit. He doesn't make many mistakes nowadays. He's a perfect player for a rookie to sit behind and learn the ropes I think.

A lot of people are saying what you say about the Chiefs' receivers. Thing is they will all look a lot better with space which they'll have when Kelce is on the field. Kelce is almost as important to that offense as Mahomes.

Agree about Hutchinson, I was expecting a big jump from him in year two and he's started like that's going to be the case.

Gardner-Johnson looked great, if he keeps that level up I can see the Lions looking to try and extend his stay there.

Mahomes getting the space to run surprised me. Surely you have a spy on him? You have to be prepared for anything he does or he'll normally torch your team.

I agree it will get better with Kelce. However he is getting older and will retire/fade off eventually.

I don't expect it this year but a 2nd receiver coming through the ranks before then would be a good thing. Especially if he picks up another knock.

Lions seemed to rely on zone to beat the QB run by keeping eyes on the QB but it wasn't really enough. Always a trade off with Mahomes, to much effort stopping his legs will give room for his arm to kill you.

A spy sits behind the line and watches where he's going when he locks his eyes in and tries to get there, not always where the ball goes, and watches to see a run coming and alerts his teammates as he goes after him. It's not giving up a guy, it's usually the strong safety.

Chiefs tend to use Willie Gay (LB) as their spy.

I get the process but you can't spy from deep. I don't think you can run a proper spy from quarters though which ever defenders have the short zones can combine to be one, depending on which zone the QB is running towards.

So the final few hours where all of us have hope and the record is 0-0-0 for everyone.

• Advertisement

I mean Chiefs are 0-1.

Matt Corral is a no show to practice the last few days. He is put on the exempt list and Bailey Zappe is back on the 53. Hopefully everything is ok with him. He hasn't been cut so the Pats are holding the door open for a return for now anyway.

Advertisement