Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is this the page where I can see my smart meter data, once it starts to communicate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Yes, but look below that section. The exports for yesterday should be there from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,890 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I don't think anybody has answered that yet? If they have then please ignore

The answer is: it depends. On how much electricity your house and your heat pump system use in winter, how big your battery is and how powerful your hybrid / battery inverter

One of the main reasons my setup is quite big, is because I expect to go heatpump in the next few years too. On a smart plan!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I take it the RM108 meters will be Sagemcom rather then Kamstrup, then?

My own timeline:

We 30th August, requested Energia to get ESBn to install smart meter

Mo 4th September, smart meter installed

Mo 4th September (5 minutes later 😂) switched to the Pinergy 5c smart plan with €100 credit bonus

We 6th September, can see usage data and export data on ESBn website (see it up to 2 days ago). Can also see that the clock in the smart meter has synced with servers, so keeping good time now

Fr 15th September, rang Pinergy and they said I was still not transferred - will be done "some time next week" 😥 Have already exported a tonne of kWh and have imported little to nothing, but battery near empty after 2 days of rain, so hopefully the high day rate costs will be offset by the export

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Yes. They are the same device except for the colour change on the button and flap and the MCC02 setup.

Just checked, it's there now.

Am I right in thinking it only gives complete days?

I'm slightly concerned that my new meter shows 2kWh of consumption. 1kWh on the "A+T1" section and 2kWh total.

The meter was showing 1kWh before the installer even left, and was at 2kWh earlier this evening when I checked it. That's despite me not drawing anything from the grid until about an hour ago when the battery ran out.

May seem like pretty small numbers but it's still 2kWh in 36hrs that I haven't actually used that I can see.

When you zoom in on the screenshot, you have pretty much some red right across the whole day. On mine, there's a tiny bit around 09:00, but that's it

Now I'm confused...

Went on the Pinergy website to sign up, entered my details and without giving me a list of unit prices or any mention of the €100 welcome bonus, it just said thanks for joining and emailed me an account number.

Wtf?

The 5c and €100 bonus is a community deal, similar to the ones we've seen before from other suppliers. You only get it via the applicable link (and not on their normal page nor on bonkers)

• Advertisement

I think I found it via Google.

I signed up via that too and got another order confirmation lol. The confirmation also said they'll be in touch to organise a smart meter install??

Methinks I'll call them tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TerraSolis

Marked as RM107 - questioned my mate who worked with ESBN on the smart meter rollout. He reckons there's a batch of RM108 labelled as RM107. Didn't think it was likely that they installed a meter that's incompatible with my current tariff without contact from either them or Energia. Apparently they get mislabelled batches regularly enough. I guess I'll find out !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Whats the point in labeling them then!

Must check what registers are showing on the 107 I have

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Looking forward to getting access to the P1 port once they start giving out the encryption keys (I am assuming they are encrypted... can anyone with a SmartGateways/SlimmeLezer+ etc confirm?). Real-time usage and accurate import/export billing data will be a great addition to Home Assistant.

Ha! Nice find. That's a different one than the one I used and shared here before, but the terms look the same. Any chance you can change to that now?

I made that mistake myself with Flogas, but emailed them immediately (the same day) and Flogas were so slow to reply that by the time they got back to me, their community gas only offer was no longer available, even though I had proof that at the time of sending my email, it still was available 🙄

To be honest I've made a bit of a poop storm for customer services in the morning lol.

I now have 3 account numbers. Only 1 is linked to my account/app login, and it's the one that doesn't have the €100 credit.

I'll have to call them tomorrow, have them nuke 2 accounts, and link the remaining one (with credit) to my app/login.

Also figure out why the system is trying to get me a smart meter install even though I already have one.

Only 35 euro.. worth a punt 😂

Regarding the mis labeled meters.. still Sus about that.

The DN compatible meter would need to have 2 registers for day, one with peak included and one without the peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TerraSolis

I'm not entirely convinced either - but my mate was insistent they won't have installed something incompatible with the tariff I'm currently on and he's fairly clued in. I'm not fussed either way, it's only going to screw with one billing cycle then I'll be switching to a smart tariff I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭jasgrif11

@championc How do you manage such a clean looking import? Mine also has spikes throughout the day.

Primarily due to seeing the offset of my grid CT clamp to bias a bit of export. The option only seems to be on Sofar ME3000's

The other important thing if you have a Zappi or Eddi is to have the Grid CT physically connected, and connected to the Master device. This is for the most accurate reading, and the most instant for reacting to changes / fluctuation in the export amount

• Advertisement

Also you don't have many electric big (and spiky) loads like electric showers, ovens.

Suppose you only have a kettle and that's it?

When you get a chance, check what registers you get when you press the button on yours.

I have

A+ (5kwh)

A+T1 (2kwh)

A+T2 (2kwh)

A+T3 (0kwh)

A- (0kwh) (export?)

R+ 2kvarh

R- 0kvarh

And back to time

This meter is on an out farm where the only use currently is a well pump... and there is only 2 heifers currently taking water from that supply, so extremely low use currently.

If we ever get around to roofing the silo pit, gonna fill it with solar... well up to nc6

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

They are all the same... for now

A+ (5kwh)+

A+T1 (2kwh)

A+T2 (2kwh)

A+T3 (0kwh)

You forgot screen test

A- (0kwh) (export?). Yes

R+ 2kvarh

R- 0kvarh

And back to time

The d/n RM108 is

A+

A+T2

A+T1

Screen test

A- (export)

R+

R-

And back to time

OK need your help guys, especially @championc & @unkel as you folks have done this.

Called Pinergy this morning to clean up my mess from last night and they insist 100% that the €100 welcome credit is ONLY for people getting a prepaid top up meter.

I argued the point, he insisted that €100 credit on a level pay account is 100% not a thing.

Am I asking for the wrong thing?

Never mind, called back and got someone with more brains. Getting sorted now.

OK just off the phone to Pinergy guy 2. Pinergy guy 1 was a dimwit.

* Multiple account issues resolved.

* €100 welcome credit agreed.

* 5c boost rate not confirmed. He said he needed to check that I was eligible because that sign up offer is for "certain properties" (presumably in Cooline or Hazel Hill?) At the end of the day the offers are listed online, no mention of any restrictions, and when I entered my address on that page they did set up an account.

* 5-7 working days until sign up is complete so I'm stuck on Energia's turd rate until then which is a pain. 40c+ on a 24hr rate, the weather forecast is terrible and the car is at 18%.😢

* Monthly bill for the first 3 months will be...... €298 a month! That's a kick in the balls but so be it. I know that's just how their system works and it will level out.

Thanks all for the guidance.

Didn't realise they were open on a Saturday. Rang them too and they confirmed I am now accepted into pinergy, on the 5c plan with the €100 bonus and that the units on my meter from today are going to be billed by them. They promised to send me an email confirming this

Still being a wee bit vague so far.

Worst case scenario, their rate is due to drop to below 6c anyway in October but I'd still be happier to have it locked into the 5c.

At the rate I'll be burning through that boost rate it's worth more than €100 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Wait are you forced on the level pay BS for the pinergy 5c tariff?

• Advertisement

Possibly only to get the €100 credit I think

Advertisement