Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Letter 1 in the bag 😎

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Letter for the interested.

Also note

"Your deemed export will continue to be calculated until your smart meter has been installed, at which point the smart meter will record your actual export readings

Please note the deemed export calculation will cease for Day/Night customers who opt out of a smart meter installation"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

I think I can safely say the my whole exports from last Friday were well and truly paid for by today's exports 😃

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Seems like the pinergy 5c rate is very much appealing to those with big battery storage. Ie. Charge at night, solar goes back to the grid during the day, batteries so you don't touch the day rate.

But those with smaller battery systems will get badly stung by the high day rate, yes? On a dull day, my 5kwh battery wouldn't last the morning.

Also the worry of charging car, battery, and running washes all at once. It's a big load

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Was dumping 5kW into the grid for most of today (during the sunny hours). Now I'm dumping 4kW into the grid from the battery that was charged on 5c electricity last night 😁

@Black_Knight - your point about this being suited for people with big batteries is mostly correct, but don't forget an average EV uses as much electricity as an average house (not heated by electricity). And you can charge 20kWh into the car every night within that 3 hour slot.

And a standard 12kVA electricity connection can take almost 15kW times the 3 hour slot. So even while charging the car, more than half of the power is still available for battery chargning and running applicances. But yeah, I wouldn't have switched if I didn't have at least 20kWh in battery storage. And the €100 bonus pays for quite a lot of high price units if you occasionally go over. But do the sums for your own situation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭jasgrif11

I hadn’t even thought about exporting in the evening time 😳

Possibly could be an option in the summer time!

Very lucrative. Obviously works best in the summer months or on sunny days outside of the summer months, when you don't need all the cheap electricity you store from the grid. Buy for 5c, sell for 28c. Rinse and repeat. You have conversion losses of course both in and out, but they are in the order of 10% or so. And these conversion losses provide free heat, handy if your inverter is in a heated part of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Liewise - got the same letter from Energia today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Sorry, for clarification it's same letter (also from ESBN) but I am with Energia. Just mentioning incase they were going by suppliers - which doesn't seem to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Over the past 2 days, I've imported around 20kWh - so €1, and exported 25kWh - so €6.25. Gain of €5.25

On the old tariff, I was buying night at 15c and getting Deemed Export of about 30c per day. So I likely would have imported nothing and gained 60c.

If I go back to last Friday, I imported about 10kWh each on Fri and Sat, and exported nothing. So each day cost 50c.

On the old tariff, I would surely have needed to night charge, about 10kW each night, so €1.50 each night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I feel the nightly topups eating into my decent credit alright 😥

But should have a €0 electricity total bill this year regardless, even if I don't go to pinergy (which I will asap)

This is class

On a production neutral day (where I produce as much as I consume) I make 15kW * 3h * (0.25-0.05) = €9 profit per day. Many days of the year, not just in summer or spring, are better than a production neutral day. Even on the worst day in winter where I produce zero and fully stock up at night, it only costs me €2

I've a big system that cost quite a bit, but the payback period is now becoming super short.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

It's important to check what standing charge the smart meter tarrif has. They really tend to hide this. Our one, Electric Ireland home electric + Nightboost has a massive standing charge of €1.05 per day including VAT.

So the bill is over €65 before any electrical usage is charged. Pure robbery.

Post edited by liam24 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I dont know do they hide it ...its on thier website

The standing charge for the Smart Meters and the Day/Night meters are the same for Electric Ireland so no penalty for being on a smart meter if you are on a D/N....

There is a difference alright from being on a 24hr meter going to smart or D/N, from the new rates in November its an extra €85 per year or €14 per 2 month bill to move from 24hr

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Some of the standing charges are crazy and my old provider bord gais is just under €500 a year rural standing charge which cannot be justified in any way compared to pinergy for example who is only €270 a year and providing a better service

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Pinergy on my sh*t list today. I was supposed to get a call back on Monday confirming that I'm eligible for the €100 welcome bonus and the 5c EV rate. Nothing so far. Called them back and got complete bewilderment from the lad on the phone, he's going to get the previous agent to call again shortly.

Good news in that I got my letter for ESBN saying that due to me getting a microgen payment and on a D/N meter I will now be getting a smart meter.

Excellent becasue I have been looking to get one for a year or more as I am loosing €500-600 a year in lost FIT charges and being able to use the 2 hour night boost rate to charge the car.

Hopfully I will get it sooner rather than later...anybody here get thier D/N on this scheme

I know the reasons you are sticking with EI but is the discount that good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I was with Energia and had decent rates. They offered to renew at 0.4161 day and 0.1948 night. The standing charge is 296.40 per year. I have about 55% of the workload on night with solar PV(no battery).

With all the changes, price drop etc just wondering who is the best and what rates? even Bord Gais announced today but on website it doesn't list the unit price, just it is reduced. Bonkers doesn't seem to keep updated.

I like everyone got the letter about changing to Smart at some stage but standard day/night now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Got the two letters myself. Am on flogas community rate with 13c night rate and 24c export. Not as lucrative as the pinergy delta but with 9 hours of 13c night rate I could (once I get the storage set up) import 45kwh per night and sell at least 30kwh of that back every day. That's (30(.24-.13)*.9) or €3 per day in profit , allowing for 10% losses. Even if we say €2 per day, to allow for imperfect use case and excessive losses, that's still €120 per 60 day billing cycle in profit, and that's before accounting for any solar generation. That will cover the standing charge and offer a bit towards any units used.

Compare that to the deemed fit, which has the advantage of less battery cycles, I exported 900kwh the last 12 months. The deemed fit paid me for approx 2000kWh, which works out at 5.5kWh per day all year round, or (5.5*0.24) €1.30 per day, of which approx 80c was paid to me for nothing.

Of course, I'd still be exporting the same 900kWh (probably a lot more) as well as the load shifting so it's possible in summer to be getting €200 or more per bill on the FIT. Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Another plan to note for those that need extra hour of charging is the Energia eV plan. 2am - 6am at 10c dropping to 8c from start of next month. Fit of 24c.

Yep the Energia retention team told me about that upcoming price drop. Note the Energia lower rate is limited to a fairly low number of units per billing cycle and if you go over, you pay a good bit more

This plan would be better than the Pinergy plan if you simply don't have enough battery to fill at night and would have to buy high rate units from the grid on many wintery days. The extra hour might make the difference. Mind the rate is 60% higher than Pinergy and you don't get the €100 welcome bonus. Need to do your own sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

Are you factoring in the Tax you will need to pay on the FIT Payment?

Yes it is...altought back in the day with the Energia EV rate that might have tempted me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

That overage is not penal. I seem to recall the overage on the old D/N EV plan being a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

At €9 a day you're covering a DIY 10kWh battery and BMS etc. a year.

Self financing battery increases might be a dangerous proposition for some folks here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah I remember the high usage rate on the old plan being higher than the non discounted night rate

The high usage rate for the smart EV plan by comparison is only 1-2c more per kWh, but kicks in at 1000kWh instead of 2000kWh per 2 month billing cycle

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement