Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Get him back quick!

Rollback, rollback!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

No I'm going onto the Pinergy smart tariff anyway, irritating though that yet again people in the industry haven't a feckin clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

From my understanding...

• RM106 and RM107 will support MCC01, MCC12, MCC16 (Not MCC02)
    • New RM108 number will support MCC02, MCC12, MCC16 (Not MCC01)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Yeah @unkel did the same.

I explained to ESBN that I want the same thing and they were like WTF did they change d/n with the wrong one haha.

I was like THAT why can't you do that to me as well 🤣

I explained I won't care for d/n anymore just give me the damn meter already and they were like nope you gotta wait. I asked flogas to ask for meter upgrade too but they said as of June ESBN will not do it, so I don't know how energia got past it. Oh I do they lied you have 24hr meter.

Shouldn't have taken out the smart meter last year I guess.

Fair enough.

Are you stuck on a smart plan then forever (that still doesn't make sense to me) , or is that non smart plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Everyone can change right now from a Day / Night to a REGULAR Smart Meter.

Ring Flogas back and tell them you want to go on a 24hr "normal Meter" plan. They are clearly "assuming" you meant you wanted a Day / Night Smart Meter.

The guy I got in Energia was almost stunned to hear I wanted to remove a Day / Night meter. He indeed initially thought I was talking about the upcoming RM108.

I've exported 108kWh so far this month. I'll only start battery charging overnight tonight

Yeah called and spoke to two different people before I gave up and just wait for ESBN, one week or two won't make a difference.

Can't see them coming up with the RM108's that soon. I wouldn't expect them this year at all.

Someone on FB posted today that they have had none in their stores yet - so he was clearly an employee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The time on my smart meter is now (to quote Marisa Tomei) "dead on balls accurate".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭paulbok

Got a letter from Networks that I'm due for getting a smart meter soon. No dates set, just that it's on the way.

Ideally if I have to change, it won't happen until the new year or Spring. I'd want a d/n meter so if they haven't stock yet then that'll probably delay it a bit.

21 months in with solar and my exports are pretty much the same as the deemed export value so won't make much difference there.

It's the " kcolc " I'm going to miss, though I knew it wouldn't last forever 😭

• Advertisement

First night on 5c per kWh Pinergy completed. 19kWh used - so 95c spent. Battery full and car got 14kWh

Now let's see how much I make in exports today 😎

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

With the weather we currently have, I'd be surprised if generation covered your house load today.

Yep, I should have looked at the forecast before posting that comment !!! 🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Apologies in advance if this question isn't appropriate for this forum but couldn't see where else to put it and you seem to know your stuff.

I'm on a D/N meter with a rural tariff and my contract is up soon. I haven't been contacted about a smart meter yet but I no longer have a need for the D/N split because it was put in for storage heaters by the previous owner that I've since replaced and I don't have an EV or solar. My night usage is negligible and so I'm paying more than I should be for my day rate and my standing charge.

The question is whether or not I should pay ESB €200 to do the swap to a regular meter or ask to prioritise the smart meter. Any suggestions on what's most appropriate?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If, your happy with your current supplier, and want to renew with them, call them and ask to be put on a 24hr tariff. There will not be a charge to change the meter.

Meter change will likely happen in the next week if it suits.

If you want to change suppliers, you'd be better off changing supplier, then changing tariffs(meters)

For normal folk without solar maybe but ESBN said they need to get solar people done ASAP because deemed export is ending like this month or October so you won't get paid after that date unless on smart meter.

But then again who knows, you ask 10 people, you probably get 10 different stories.

The way they explained it is that they want to get it done before end of October 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭curioustony

The way they explained it is that they want to get it done before end of October

@SD_DRACULA makes complete sense to me that they would want to end deemed before winter. That's when they are likely to make the biggest loss. Paying for solar that is not generated, short days, poor weather, low sun...

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

had my smart meter installed 6 months ago or so, didn't ask for it, got a letter/call to say they were doing it. stayed on a 24 hour plan once it was done

EI contract up on tuesday, rang up SSE yesterday with the full intent of switching to their smart plan with the reduced night rate. had a 5.4kw solar system install completeled on tuesday, so thought balancing out with the cheaper night rate would be better. No EV, no battery for now(wanted to see how much i was using/generating) before installing a battery

guy i spoke to at SSE certainly gave the impression he thought i was mad to move off my 24 hour rate, we went through the two options but in the end i stayed on the 24 hour rate, i can always switch to a smart plan within contract if i decide to.

basically it comes down to a 38c all day rate (which will be reduced in Nov with the price cuts) vs a a 40/50/24 smart plan. way i see it, unless you have a battery/EV where you can take advantage of the low night rate there really isn't a huge difference between the smart plans/all day rate. #

i'm happy to have the flaw in my thinking highlighted

Unless you can shift a decent amount of your use to night time, 24 HR is a better choice. Generally at night you use less power too

Haven't run the numbers in a while but it used to be over 50-60% night rate.

But there was usually a 100 odd euro difference in standing charge to deal with too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, this is correct. Rm108 is only for people that currently have MCC02. It is the same meter with a different hardware config. Since no one can go from MCC12/16 back to MCC01, it works. In future the default rate will probably change to a smart D/S/T rate vs the current MCC01 as the default.

I've locked in a 12 month MCC02 contrtact with flogas. Every year I cost out the smart vs non smart meter rates and still nothing beats a good Mcc02. I have 45kWh of battery storage waiting to be connected (waiting on a rack and busbar set I ordered) and once I have that and a smart day night meter, I will import for the full 9 hours and export durting the day any excess. Of course have to wait for the smart day night meter as it doesnt make sense to cycle the batteries like that with only deemed fit. Which up to now has been a money maker for me, I export almost nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭DC999

+1 to that.

Yep, I ran the numbers for my folks. Was only €30 cheaper a year on smart plan and only if they started to load shift more. And that was based on their actual historic smart meter usage (day, night, peak). Just a typical gaff. No EV, no heatpump, no solar, no battery.

They are in their 70s and don't want to load shift. Tbh they would struggle to set timers on stuff for load shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TerraSolis

Well - Day/Night/Export meter (the old so-called microgen meters) swapped out for smart meter just there. Still on Energia D/N tariff. No hassle.

Assuming all old meters are phased out are we left with? :

Standard Smart meter

D/N smart meter

Are these interchangeable? Or in other words can a person on a standard smart meter move onto a D/N plan, and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I don't think we'll know until someone tries it, I believe the Smart D/N meters are the same hardware as the standard ones and can be reconfigured to be the same

My guess is that it won't be allowed, I suspect the CRU is going to start closing down the pathways by which people can stay on non smart plans pretty soon

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It was just as well I was home as the ESBn engineer was about to leave when he spotted my D/N meter. I had to explain to him I actually wanted the older smart meter and didn't want to wait on the newer smart meter. I joined Pinergy at the start of the month, €100 bonus and 5c / kWh night rate incl VAT (02:00 - 05:00), should be enough to charge my battery and my EVs sufficiently

Everything else will be exported for which they will pay me 28c / kWh

Ok, so nobody really knows for now.

I guess it'll be a wait and see. It's a terrible rollout. Very few people seem to know exactly what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

This whole situation is getting complicated, could we put together a table where people could look at their meter type and see whats going to happen next & suggested actions

For Example, off the top of my head heres a go at it;

I have a 24 meter

You will be getting a smart meter unless you refuse one. You will stay on your existing tariff until it ends and then decide what the best tariff to pick depending on your usage.

I have a day/night meter, no ev, no solar.

Day night meters are next in line to get smart meters but its not known yet if there will be day/night smart tariff's/

I have day/night meter, no ev, with solar & batteries

Day night meters are next in line to get smart meters, however nobody has a day/night smart meter yet so everyones waiting to see when & how this will happen

I have a day/high meter, with ev, with solar & batteries

Day night meters are next in line to get smart meters, you could consider getting a smart meter & smart tariff that has cheap night rate so you can load-shift and minimize daytime use.

RM108? Just curious. You may be one of the first ones to get it.

I have a day/night meter, no ev, no solar.

Day night meters are next in line to get smart meters but its not known yet if there will be day/night smart tariff's/

There wont be a smart DN tariff, But the DN smart meters, will support standard DN tariffs until you move to any smart tariff. Once you leave you can never return to a DN.

They say DN Tariffs are going to be phased out, They currently aren't advertised that much now, (usually hidden behind a MPRN checker). You cant be moved off a DN tariff without consent, but suppliers could choose not to do any offers/discounts/contract renewals when current contract is up. You will be on their "standard rates"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

The smart d/n won't be available until Monday week. They will have yellow button and flap cover not the blue ones that are on the present meters.

RM106 and RM107 will support MCC01, MCC12, MCC16 (Not MCC02) - Correct

New RM108 number will support MCC02, MCC12, MCC16 (Not MCC01) Not 100%

RM108 will be configured for MCC02 out of the box. It has MCC12 capability but if you move from MCC02 it'll reconfigure to the normal non MCC02 smart meter.

Advertisement