Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

But the NSH customers won't be on MCC02. They have their own meter configuration code - MCC03 (24h).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Looks like the MCC03 replacement is already partly defined, there's around 50k installations and about half of them don't even use the night storage meter and will be replaced with a normal smart meter

I think the plan for be remaining customers is TBD but they'll probably get a normal smart meter and the night storage meter will be left alone

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If they are removing the DN tariffs then what difference will having the night storage meter make?

Night storage is usually a different tariff anyway

As I said, I don't think suppliers can refuse a standard tariff, but they aren't obligated to offer any deals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

I'm thinking / have proof that the 30 day calibration this is utter b****X.

I got my Smart Meter installed last Thursday afternoon. On the ESB Networks portal, I have export data from Fri 01 Sept, and I can download the HDR file

• Advertisement

It's because of this that I booked my "regular" Smart Meter last Monday, and it was installed last Thursday.

I have now signed up to the Pinergy Drive plan - 5c night rate. I've an EV and a 20kWh battery. I plan to use zero day units

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Your plan will fail unless you have a n inverter which drains 0.0kwh during the day (none do that I am aware of unless you config them as offgrid)

What you mean to say is that you think you will use 0 day units but in reality you will use 10-30kwh day units per month 🤣

Which is of course nothing once you start dumping the batteries into the grid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Sofar, you can configure them to slightly export all the time.

Last month, I used ONE day unit, and that was mainly down to the Zappi reaction timings.

Going forward, I will never use the Zappi with solar. It will only be used as a regular type charger at night.

The Sofar ME3000 allows a CT offset to be set, to move the Zero point, so I export slightly constantly

I've only used 11 day units since the end of April

Post edited by championc on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

All smart meters (as defined by ESB networks) are D/N tariff compatible. The smart meter knows to the minute when you are consuming power and how much, it doesn't need two meters rolling over separately. This idea of a "D/N smart meter" makes no sense to me. Now, the issue is that lots of suppliers do not offer D/N tariffs to those with smart meters.

• Advertisement

It depends a lot on what you mean by compatible

As discussed previously, in the RM documents I posted a while back, the smart meters that have been installed cannot implement a D/N tariff equivalent to the MCC02 meter as they are currently configured

TLDR, they can only record into one register at a time and the registers on the current meters follow daylight savings, whereas a D/N meter doesn't

The new Smart D/N meters aren't actually different hardware, they're just configured differently

In terms of what the suppliers could and couldn't offer, this also depends a bit on the smart meter installed

The two meter types for Smart Meters are MCC12 and MCC16. They seem to be the same hardware the difference is how often they report data to ESBN

MCC12 reports every 30 mins

MCC16 is recorded every 2 months

They both have 3 registers, day, night and peak

I assume the latter are for areas with poor reception so they could be read manually, or remotely from the street if needed (I vaguely remember the meters could have a ZigBee radio installed which allowed you to read the meter as the van drove by)

So if you're on an MCC12 then the supplier can do whatever they want down to 30 mins agile tariffs. I assume the EV tariffs require customers to be on that meter type

If you're on MCC16 it sounds like you're stuck on the Day, Night, Peak tariff

EDIT: Some more info here

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/help/what-is-a-mcc-code

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Must be the sofar then.

Bu yeah there is a CT ratio offset as well in the sunsynk but I have changed it from 2000:1 to a few hundred above/below, made 0 difference.

I would like to set a minimal export as well but not sure how/if it's possible on the sunsynk. It annoys... a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Yes similar problem myself with the sunsynk I set up for a family member. Frustrating as editing the ratio made little to no difference in it for me.

In sharp contrast to the sofar HydEP hybrid which averages about 40-50w in total day usage each day

And to add to that, while the smart meter does know when the power is used, you can't go to it and press a button to show day units and night units as you can with a DN

To have a drop in replacement it needs to do that.

DN also doesn't observe DST, that could be another factor in why a differently configured SM is needed

On a slightly different topic, has anyone had a situation where they have a negative annual bill due to FIT?

As in between lower consumption, charging at night rate and FIT (after tax) you made money for the year

I'm curious what happens in that case, it would usually just end up as credit on your account but can you get it repaid to you by the supplier?

I think Irishchris did. (Possibly because of the first few months of a high level pay) but they paid out.

I'm expecting a refund from Energia any day now, but that's a side effect of nearly 18months of backdated FIT

Yeah I had a similar situation, but again was due to the level pay being too high, eventually got around €500 back

I wonder if there's some clause that you can't actually make a profit off the FIT 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

After 12 months including bills and fit made profit of just over 1300 euro. Paid full amount to bank account and anther 500 euro built up since them. Level pay is only 5€ a month and has been since the initial 116 then 26 for first three months.

Large array and battery storage though

Post edited by irishchris on

Excellent stuff, that's what I'm dreaming of achieving 👍

Of course, that's your profit, which of course means that your annual bill for consumption was zero 👏👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

can smart meters be fitted within a house rather that an access panel? My house has all the meters etc inside, built with no meter box.

do they test for a 2G signal from the location?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The smart meter will go wherever your existing meter is.

if you want to move it to a different location that will be at your expense to get your electrician to move it and recertify.

When the smart meter goes in it will have, I think, 30 days of monitoring where ESB networks will see if it’s reliably sending data. If it’s not then I presume you would be put back on a non-smart manually read tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

just wondering, anyone had their DN > SM swap yet? or even the notification letter?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Whats the chances of it happening this calendar year I wonder.

I was notified our area was getting smart meters two years ago. Still nothing!

Nope, like I said ESBN have bigger fish to fry, like figuring out how to power all those data centers

Somewhere between zero and f**k all is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭big_show

I rang esbn this morning about this and they said letters are been sent on the 11th of September to current D/N customers about switching to the new smart D/N meters, letter will give instructions on who to contact in regards to book your appointment. (Could be esb or a subcontractor servicing your area)

That's was I was told anyway, will wait and see.

September 11th, seems like a suitable date to pick 😕

Well, I got my confirmation that I am now a Pinergy Customer - so 5c per kWh car charging tonight, and 25c+ Exports from tomorrow

To save others going back on the thread, here was my timeline. I WAS on a Day / Night meter, but I know I can stay mostly off peak rate and charge off 5c

Mon 28 Aug - Ordered Regular Smart Meter (to replace the Day / Night meter - they put you on a 24hr plan for 30 days - new contract, so will cost €50 to break))

Thu 31 Aug - Smart Meter installed

Sat 02 Sep - Ordered Pinergy "LevelPay" plan online (for the €100 credit - to offset the €50 Energia penalty).  Exports appear on ESBNETWORKS.ie

Mon 04 Sep - Pinergy request sent to Energy to release (or whatever they do)

Wed 13 Sep - Pinergy confirmed I am now their customer (also confirming the 30 day Energia this is complete BS)

I also got it confirmed that although smart meters are used, on a 24hr plan, the consumption data is still only harvested once every 2 months. But once you go onto an actual Smart Plan, then the consumption is recorded like Exports - every 30 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Is there a link to the Pinergy rates anywhere? I’m D/N at the moment and out of contract with BG in a few weeks time.

Advertisement