Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Ye should send Reagan a Christmas present 🎁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Can I just confirm, I rang Pinergy yesterday and they said they can't port me as they can't see my smart meter on the system. I only have my smart meter in 2 weeks.

Is this the issue that Reagan is resolving for other users?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

They signed me up sharpish, but my usage wasn't showing up in the app for the 30 day period.

After the 30 days it still wasn't appearing so I had to get Reagan on the ball.

FFS, just checked my second statement, still no welcome credit.

So far:

• multiple failed "we'll call you back" when signing up
    • multiple failed requests for emails to confirm the rates and the welcome credit
    • app failed to start displaying data even after the 30 day period
    • about a week of delays in activating that function
    • first statement was almost 3 weeks late and didn't have the €100 credit
    • second statement was on time but again didn't have the credit, despite being assured 2 weeks earlier that it would
    • failed to add both names to the statement/account

It's a good thing their rates and app are top notch because their customer service is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Aye. Had most of the above too. With the most disappointing was that many times they told me on the phone that they would confirm in an email what they just told me. And they never did. Despite me stating many times that their colleagues had promised me this, but didn't follow up. And they swearing to me they would...

Can't argue with this though:

November use: 4 units at 38c, 1077 units at 5c

And those 4 units are my own fault, I have a weakness in my system where my inverter's RCBO trips now and then. Usually takes me a wee while to find out and re-enable.

And they have the highest FIT in the business too. This means that Pinergy will be paying me over the next two years. Not me paying them 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

For the charging the small battery for peak people, I can recommend letting home assistant manage it. I've my 5kW battery charging on night rate, then when it gets to 45%, HA checks how much solar is forcast for the rest of the day, if it's enough to cover the next few hours the battery stays as is and if it's not it's set to not discharge until peak hours. 45% is based on how much we usually used during peak with a bit of buffer. Last bill was 2 units of peak becuase I was optimising the limits.

I used 47kWh in November at full rate. 1032kWh at cheap rate.

I'd be very interested to see a tutorial of how to set that up step by step. And I'm sure I'm not the only one! Would you care to share? I think it deserves its own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭DC999

So what’s the drama waiting on a welcome credit of €100 that you're due? You’re probably in the top % for the cheapest electricity in the country due to your investment in large solar and batteries. And hats off for you spending your cash on that.

It’s not really a surprise that a new-ish company offering close to free electricity during the cheap night rate and the highest FIT rates are going to have a lean office staff. Or they won’t be the cheapest in the market. Meaning customer service is gonna suck a bit. We know this from the likes of Ryanair. So we use then knowing their limitation.

If you want high levels of customer care, you’re likely better moving back to a larger older provider. But then your bills will go up. Btw, I’ve no links with Pinergy or the energy industry. 

There's no drama, provided they do actually give me the €100 credit. They initially needed to be harassed to confirm that I would actually get it, and 2 months later they still haven't applied it. That's not a drama, it's just plain old incompetence.

Everyone is having issues getting the same things resolved, and we're at the comical stage of folk on boards.ie passing around the name of the single competent individual who works in Customer Service. That is also incompetence. It's nothing to do with a "lean office staff", it's a "stupid office staff". Why hasn't Reagan shared her knowledge of basic account management with others, or if she has, why have they not listened?

" The product is cheap so you should expect and accept that the staff will be idiots" is not a belief I share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Finally able to signup exactly one month from SM install.

Now the fun begins to confirm the same and add everyone to the bill...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

I think you are missing the point of this thread. We jumped on cheap night rate tariffs to charge the battery to 100% every day of the year, in order to export absolutely as much as possible every day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Pretty sure the point of the thread is about day night people having access to smart meters now.

Another poster above said they were running through their battery by peak hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

No, if you actually look back, it was actually about Day Night meters being ditched for regular Smart Meters. This was well before the rollout of the replacement Day Night Smart Meters

I started this thread because smart day/night meters were almost here, which combined with the demise of great day/night tariffs left no reason not to switch anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Im sure asked before

I was on a day/night tariff which had the projected FiT. Moved to a new day/night smart meter but staying on my old tariff

Electric Ireland now have portal to swap me to a smart tariff which is worse rates, do I need to move to it to get FiT?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Thanks, electric ireland really pushing the smart tarriff and I can see why, would drive my costs way up

It's only a matter of time. I predict that as soon as your current plan contract is up, you can chose to stay out of contract and pay exorbitant rates, or sign up for a new contract with either just smart plans available or smart plans and "old skool" plans, but with the latter again at exorbitant rates

We really should get to grips with the fact that we all need to be on smart plans. It is only fair. They will punish those who chose to consume when electricity is expensive and dirty and will reward those who chose to consume when electricity is cheap and green.

• Advertisement

Oh I fully expect once my contract is up I will be told the only option is smart, but I have a good 10 months before that.

"Cheap and green"? when is that? because 2 hours is the only time Electric Ireland is cheap and I can't really only use electricity 2 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭idc

Thats where your solar + battery come into play, although depending on battery charge rate and size 2 hour window may be too small.

I only have a 3 hour window myself but I use 100% of my electricity during this window. And that includes all my house electricity, two EVs, most of my hot water heating and some home heating / crypto mining. Busy family of 5 with the dryer running non stop some days 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

What's the current state of play with those beautiful old go backwards meters?

If an NC6 is submitted does it trigger the ESB to try and get into the property and upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭con747

Had my install in February 22 and still postponing the installation with no issues. Just never submit a lower reading than the last one. I always add 2-3 units per billing period and always have covid when the meter reader calls to get a reading.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Yep, prior to installation. Received confirmation email and notification of the smart meter install but I rang the contractor doing it and postponed it. They have postponed it 3 times now 6 months per time with no issues. I have to use up 900 reversed units still before the end of February so I can let the meter reader take an up to date accurate reading to just keep it all good.

Thanks. Hopefully go another few years before a forced meter upgrade.

You could turn off the PV for a while I suppose and let the meter go a bit in the right direction.

• Advertisement

I'll be all up to date by March same as earlier this year. Heavy enough usage the next couple of months. It suits my usage to keep it but that can all change down the road.

Advertisement