Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2024 - Primary Debates, News, Etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Someone should tell trump and his supporters that...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Indeed. Facts do. That's why the rapist is facing almost a hundred charges in court.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

i just pointed out that Trump had a very successful outing last night, and is understandably looking/sounding confident, and focused. you could even say he has rediscovered some of his swagger.

by contrast the ailing geriatric incumbent, doesn't seem to know what day of the week it is, and who's only response to global tensions is to bomb innocent people, continue supporting Genocide and in doing so run the very real risk of a world wide conflagration.

i thought this might have been a rational, measured discussion on last night's resounding victory in the Iowa caucuses, but that does not seem to be your agenda, so i will leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

To be fair I think the protestors that have been heard to shout genocide Joe at Biden are more likely to be young Democrats, unhappy with his handling of the Gazan crisis. I'd say the longer the situation in the middle east continues the more it harms Biden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If you wanna talk 'measured', then don't trot out immature nicknames about one guy, then refuse to engage in the possibility of Trump being potentially worse. You didn't "only" talk about Trump's swagger, so stop getting defensive and at least engage honestly. If you think he didn't use airstrikes during his time you're being wilfully naive, while it's worth taking the time to look into who started the ball rolling with that cataclysmic Afghanistan withdrawal.

Your rhetoric sounds a tad enthused about Trump, so TBH it'd go a lot smoother if you at least had the honesty to admit you support Trump - and that if you don't? Then consider that even if you buy into the idea of doddery old Biden, ailing and infirm, that Trump as the alternative - a man who already had a go at being President and is now vowing "revenge" as a response - is not a great one.

Especially if you you claim, you're eager for peace. Here's one for you re. "genocide", Trump's use of drones weren't for Uber Eats orders ya know: and that's just a quick google. Trump ain't no peacenik, so wise up there would be my suggestion.

Then when they got too numerous:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agreed, and would think America's contribution to the crisis has been ... well, let's be charitable and call it "less than stellar". Though the idea of Trump taking the reigns of the situation in that region would sober anyone fast; Trump's recognition of Jerusalem back in the day was a major setback to peace - that thing wot this sealion user is apparently concerned for.

But if young democrats stay away and let Trump walk into the WH, then the American Left truly is as dumb as the Right likes to paint it as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I would agree with the last paragraph but like Hilary I could well see the young voters not bothering to vote for Biden. Trump getting in would be a disaster for both Gaza and Ukraine.

Problem with Clinton was that scratch the surface, nobody liked her and the stink of liberal hubris played into the "drain the swamp" rhetoric on the other side. American liberals talking about it being Clinton's "turn" like it was pre-ordained, while Clinton herself had the charisma of a schoolteacher - and not a particuarly liked one at that. I'm not sure Bernie was a better bet but hoo-boy did everything from the (soft-right) centre leftward really fail to read the room.

2020 was the massive swing of buyer's remorse coupled with the shock by centrists-to-left realising what a calamity Trump was; Trump's rhetoric has only got worse, Project 2025 showing naked ambition for a legislative dictatorship. Any young people in 2024 not voting 'cos of Gaza ... well I don't wanna say they deserve what they get 'cos we'll all suffer (like you said geopolitically Trump v2 would be a disaster), but calling them morons wouldn't start to describe them.

I'm confident though the large umbrella group under the name "American Left" aren't that stupid that they'll dust their hands and consider Biden a shoe-in or not to be voted for. Too many polls, and too much said by Trump should make it clear it's not over yet. When the GOP and suchlike are trying to argue Presidents are immune from crimes committed, America is already on the slope wot is slippery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It doesn't say a whole lot about the American public if they're willing to elect a rapist who rarely spoke a coherent word while in office and invariably used it to attack anyone who doesn't like him.

In terms of Trump looking fitter, Biden is the guy who regularly cycles. Trump is the one with a terrible diet who almost died while in office.

• Advertisement

America is such a screwed-up place, where would you begin. I think Trump will quite possibly be the next President. imagine him being in prison and then being released/pardoned? only in America.

Biden is a joke. if you think he looks fitter, then please tell me you do not work in medicine/healthcare.

i recall Biden falling off his bike, falling up & down the stairs, forgetting where he is, what country he is in or who he is talking to. the really scary thing is if/when he croaks it, Camela could well be in the hotseat. (i can see Putin lickin' his lips at the prospect)

I've fallen off of bikes, once broke a leg going upstairs and I'm 32. Doesn't change the fact I'm physically fit. And out of context clips are the Biden dementia narrative. Meanwhile Trump likely can't physically manage a bike, his average speech is deranged and he's previously referred to the role of the US Air Force in the revolutionary war.I don't think that's a sign of dementia or anything, he just tended to espouse stupidity that tended to damage the US position in the international community.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Have you any evidence of this alleged cognitive decline?

Your ignoring the rapist forgetting how many world wars there are, where he is, the weird, weird sh*te about nuclear weapons, magnets and so on suggests it's only bad when it's Biden (allegedly).

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Regardless of what you or I think Trump or Biden's relative health, The Orange One must be feeling pretty bullish after Iowa. he has the wind at his back. he has momentum.

as for Genocide-Joe i can only see things getting worse. the disaster & cruelty that is Gaza has shocked most of the civilized world. Joe has backed what is now a pariah state. the chaos in the Red sea is only just beginning and will likely get much worse. the war in Ukraine has been a waste of American tax-payers' dollars.

A bullish rapist, not exactly surprising. Also, none of his fans seem to be comfortable addressing the rape aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Did he though?

According to the polls leading up to it, he was polling at 56-57%, he got 51%.

He is running for reelection as well, he got about half of voters to vote for him, is that really a success?

Bear in mind he was in a deeply evangelical state as well, so he should have literally waltzed it. Nearly half of the eligible voters voted against him.

About 2.2 million adults were eligible to vote, so that’s about 2.3% of the whole state voted for him.

When you look at the numbers…it’s was kinda ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

In fairness, if you're interpreting primary percentages as a zero sum game, then about 48 percent of voters voted against Biden in the 2020 Democratic primary, yet he went on the get the most votes for a president in history. I think that the more pertinent thing is what percentage of non-Trump voters say they absolutely will not vote Trump if he wins the primary.

A GOP primary in an evangelical base, and he gets 51%, Biden also wasn’t seeking a relection.

On top of that again, about 1/7 of republicans voted in Iowa…half supported him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Biden is streets ahead of trump on the fitness/mental acuity tests and can actually stand up straight without toe supports (and isn't a certified rapist). Sorry if that upsets you, I know facts can be scary to some people.

Post edited by astrofool on

He looks fuckin brutal, like you’re going to visit him at the old folks home.

Biden looks far far healthier.

• Advertisement

The big thing when the debates come around is that Trump's rhetoric is even more extreme than when he was president. Plus he's wide open with the criminal charges etc. Biden will trounce him and the Trump fans will latch onto memes.

He has skipped the GOP debates - he may even skip them when it's just the two or three left? - I wonder would Trump be so arrogant and bold to refuse debating Biden as well? He must surely know he'll struggle again even before the ammunition of his criminality is brought up.

He just refuses to debate, doubles down on the conspiracy angle and lets the chaos reign?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

You are aware of the weather conditions their? Its absolutely savage .

DeSantis had the supposedly stronger ground game and had Kim Reynolds put the work in while Haley spent plenty of money on it towards the end.

It doesn't mean Biden should panic , but suggesting it was not a good night for Trump is wishful thinking unfortunately.

I am yes, but aren’t his followers his die hards?

Around 56,000 turned out to vote, just over half voted for him. Regardless of how much of a success this is for Trump, the GOP can’t be singing a great tune right now either.

Fully agree that Trump's rhetoric is more extreme. The problem is he's done a job of normalising that rhetoric or, if not normalising it, there is a risk of becoming jaded to it, given how often Trump is in the news.

The kind of criminal charges Trump is under wouldn't have just sunk previous presidential hopefuls, but they obviously wouldn't have even considered running, and that's if they didn't go on the run or something beforehand. But Trump and his base do not feel that kind of shame and there is no legal barrier to a convicted felon running for the presidency. It's a pretty strange loophole that you cannot vote as a convicted felon but you can run for the country's highest political office.

There should be no assumption that Biden will trounce Trump, and it's certainly not what early polls are indicating, anyway. A similar level of engagement will probably be needed as in 2020 to keep Trump out of the Oval Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If you think Trump looks fitter then please tell me you dont operate anysort of vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Genuine question - if Biden is brain-dead and in decline, how did he beat Trump so convincingly in their two head to head debates? The first Trump performance in particular had to be among the worst ever of any candidate for president.

I don't know.... Take your pick of these.

The Democrats had him on a carefully selected cocktail of medications.

He was a hologram.

It was a body double.

He boosted his life force by drinking the blood of a child recently murdered by Hillary Clinton in the basement of a local pizza restaurant.

He had special teleprompter contact lenses.

Endless ways to warp reality to explain away simple facts. The more bizarre and fantastical, the better the MAGA base like it.

You can't logic people out of a position they didn't logic themselves into. People like the MAGA loons in the US have nothing - no heart, no achievements, no empathy, no hustle and certainly no success. Foreigners coming to America and making a go of it just proves what they know to be true, that they have only themselves to blame for their own situation. Triggering the libs is all they have and they'll burn anything and everything to do it, even their own country and constitution.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

No Covid this time to save Biden. He is royally fked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement