Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2024 - Primary Debates, News, Etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CONSI

US politics is depressing, with the real and genuine fear that Trump might win in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭ronjo

Its absolutely humiliating for them but what MAGA wants, MAGA gets

They cant really even say "lets rally around the nominee for the good of the party", they have to subjugate themselves completely. Its absolutely bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The whole system of American politics and how they elect their President is bizzare insanity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's still a strong buy-in, as far as I can see, with the electoral college system: anecdotally and speaking in the past with a Texan, who I think was Republican but didn't press it, he was fond of the term "the tyranny of the majority": that the ludicrous (to us) lopsided nature of rural states leading national votes was some bulwark against urban (read, liberal?) dominance and so was a form of consensus.

And yeah, it probably made sense when the US' population was a bit more evenly spread between rural and urban centres - but it's such a difference now the EC system looks archaic and then some, tiny rural states wielding so much control over national results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

As much as the Republican party may say down when the Democrats say up, one thing that the two parties can agree on is that a 3rd party must not come to prominence, or that there be any major changes to the electoral system in which both parties have so much invested.

They love it. Trump is their god-king. And the worst part of it is that the people who have had their darkest political desires so purely expressed in Donald Trump are never going to want to go back to what was a regular Republican politician - some neo-con in a suit who promises lower taxes - as *their guy* . It's like that routine Chris Rock had about how once a woman gets with a guy with his own car, they're never going to want to date a guy without a car again.

Not that regular Republican politicians were that much better to begin with, and neo-liberal economics they favoured have a huge amount to answer for, but it's also that they're never going to want to go back to an even keel of any kind when they have the thrilling paranoia and recrimination of Trumpism to get off on, so it's hard to see a way to get back to some kind of non-insanity to then go forward from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Was listening to a us commentator on sky saying it's inevitable that he will win. Poor guy seemed resigned to the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Astartes

Orange Hitler is set to become president from a jail cell.

The most American thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

this world has not seen the last of The Orange one. he looks fit, energised, focused and clear-minded. Everything Biden is not. a part of me has to admire him. the amount of crap they have thrown at him, and he just takes it, dusts himself off and keeps coming back for more.

if/when he retakes the White House, there will be a reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reckonings are what dictators do; so I'd hope not for the sake of American Democracy and the stability of the geopolitcal world. But if you think Trump looks "fit", I'd question if you're being serious in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It's not my pick, you said there would be a reckoning. So you must have an idea of who will be subject to this reckoning,? I presume you mean sacking a few officials but I don't want to put words in your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

It's super weird that Trumpers are using the term "Bomber Biden" disparagingly, when their hero worships "strong men", (fond of warmongering) like Putin, Jung Il and Orban. I'm sure if Trump had the same nickname (which he wouldn't, as it's not alliteration!) you would be able to buy t-shirts with it on his website.

Also, most of America supports Israel over Palestine.

Worth noting that Trump had a part to play in the current conflict when he moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

People you don't like, maybe? Grand, you're fond of a wanna-be dictator who has a whole bunch of fascists lurking in the background waiting for their chance to implement Project 2025. You know, basically shredding the US constitution, and sh*tting on the idea of democracy, because a whole lot of Americans would rather live in a nasty, theocratic, autocratic hell hole as long as they get to own the libs.

Post edited by swampgas on

i never said he would bring peace to Ukraine in 24 hours, but my guess is American involvement will end a lot more quickly under him than Genocidal-Joe. Biden looks like he's got 1 foot in the grave. his decline only seems to have accelerated. the prospect of Kamala being in the hot seat is probably the only thing keeping him going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

Biden in a coma would be a better president than Trump. Trump is a dangerous narcissist who will destroy the fabric of US democracy. Maybe that's what you want though, to burn the place down and start again?

you will notice I used the nickname The Orange one for Trump, which I think is very appropriate, as is Bomber-Biden. the use of nick-names is not necessarily a declaration of support you know!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, but calling Biden geriatric while defending someone who forgot how many world wars there were and advocated drinking bleach strongly implies it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anybody who thinks Trump looks fit has left the plane of reality no wonder you are here touting up a rapist and wannabee dictator.

Note how all you have are slogans with zero substance. Trump is a geriatric too but you only use it to describe Biden. Your post is devoid of facts, evidence and logic.

You think America and therefore the world will be stable under someone who thinks he has presidential immunity to steal elections, rape and ignore the law and constitution?

Biden is the one holding the line in America and abroad, against dictators and terrorists.

Trump would have rolled over as Putin's lapdog and surrendered Ukraine and eastern Europe to Putin, anybody who thinks that is a recipe for peace and stability is just self discrediting their own opinions on the world.

Desperate desperate stuff.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

but Biden is a geriatric. and one in sharp decline. that's a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,757 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Trump is a racist, a nazi, a liar, a crook, a geriatric, an imbecile, a rapist, a lecher, is sexually interested in his own daughter, a fraud, and supports genocide. Those are facts.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

you may well be right, but i think he's more likely to be the next President of the USA. sorry if that upsets you so.

Facts don't care about your feelings. He's done. He has more charges against him than Biden has years on his earth.

America's MAGA loons are going to have to either undergo some sort of introspection or, more likely, find another person to give them that special little feeling they value more than their own welfare.

H. H. Asquith

As is Trump. But a corporate democrat is a safer bet than a notably deranged CEO out for revenge. The man is clearly doo-lally, and only takes a few Google's of him from the 90s to show he used to be broadly coherent. He's in his late 70s and clearly sundowning. Now he's rambling about magnetics, whales, windmills causing cancer, bleach for COVID cures, and has his own string of basic comprehension problems.

By all accounts treat Biden with suspicion but you're fooling yourself if you think Trump is mentally fit, or competent. And his 4 years in charge was incompetence personified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭political analyst

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Biden has all but ended the drone bombing campaigns of both his former predecessors. Calling him "bomber Biden" basically strains all credulity and makes it look like you have no idea what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ribs1234

you are probably delighted with how things have gone in the last 24 hours, and your euphoria is ringing through your posts.

but if you can remove the emotion for a moment, what exactly will Trump do with his presidency? (I regularly ask this of Trump supporters and get nothing but sound bites “drain the swamp” “jail them “ - perhaps you have a few specifics? What happens after the first couple of months (I’d imagine there will be many greatest president ever type speeches or my supporters were believers)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,143 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm sorry that someone found liable for rape by a jury of his peers becoming president doesn't upset you.

And of course there's both sides. The last desperate card in the MAGA playbook.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

What "genocide" has Biden commited? Stop talking in cute nicknames like it's the schoolyard and at least engage with a degree of rationality. Nobody's triggered, it's a debate forum, so don't play the man either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement