Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A wonderful illustration showing how much public space we’ve handed over to cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fûck all point in getting on a bus if it doesn’t go where I need to be going without changing or it’s going to take twice the time to get there,

Teznor07 has a similar but worse dilemma…

…..

Public transport is piss poor. In addition the NTA have published the requirement for multiple new Luas lines/extensions. This is apparently planned to start construction post 2042 sometime… 😏😵‍💫 so the requirements have been identified now but…. Again, it’s down the line, closer to 2050 when we’ll see a tram….if we are lucky….

the country is always chasing its tail, politicians always going trying to fix a broken leg with a few bandaids…

we need x now, y going forward. 100 billion ? Ok if that means we have to cut our cloth to suit our measure well and good. If that means cutting back on give away euros, so be it.

For 2023, the Government has provided a gross allocation of over €1.233 billion for Official Development Assistance (ODA). This is the ninth consecutive year in which Ireland's allocation for ODA has increased, and the second consecutive year in which the allocation has been over €1 billion.. ODA…. Overseas Developmental Aid / assistance….

what about our requirements towards our citizens…..? A fraction of that money even 5-10% to be invested here would have a truly world class public transport system… it would take so so many cars from our roads. Ease pollution, citizens would be multiples more happy, healthy, relaxed and have a clean, comfortable, reliable, on time and efficient public transport service. Be able to spend more time at home with family and friends having not been stressed to the gills.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

I can take public transport to work. Train and Dublin bikes. I am so relieved I don’t have to drive. Agree it’s really stressful.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In your view 5-10% of €1.23Bn would give us a "truly world class public transport system". Tell us, what exactly would be in this "truly world class public transport system" for €50-€130million?

Nope 5-10% per year…. Added to what is already being spent.. We are spending over a billion per year on overseas aid. My view is that figure should be slashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Maybe i'm missing something here but I always understood that pedestrians do have right of way on a pavement. Example: If a motorists wants to turn into a driveway which requires crossing a pavement, then any Pedestrians already on the pavement do have right of way.

• Advertisement

Pedestrians have right of way on pavements regardless of the dipped Kerb. To put it another way.. a dipped kerb does not give a motorist priority over pedestrians.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html

section 8

(4) A driver of a vehicle entering a public road from a place which is not a public road shall yield the right of way to all vehicles and pedestrians proceeding in either direction along the public road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It would just be wasted elsewhere so you might as well have it where it is.

We are one of the richest countries in the world with

1. A decrepid public transport system

2. A health service that scares me so much that I am considering spending my old age in a third world country where their health service is better

3. A court system that doesn't jail people for lack of space

4. A police force that barely enforces any laws

5. An education system that is starved of funding

6. A housing crisis despite having more space than any other country in western europe

7. Sports facilities that are falling down

8. A child protection organisation that does not have the resources to protect children

It is actually depressing how incompetent we are as a nation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What are you on about? We're talking about on a road and pedestrians entering the road from a dipped pavement , obviously. You certainly are missing something ----- the topic.

All due to Irish people paying taxes but over time being gradually deprioritised in terms of benefiting from that money we supposedly hand over to work for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Would you not get your milk from Tesco?

Save on one unrequired trip per week by the milkman on Wednesdays

Ah thanks Jim! Although a pedestrian crossing the road also has right of way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Your first statement about Ireland being "one of the richest countries in the world" is just a product of the Governments "Leprechaun economics"... Strip out the pharma exports and tax dodging multinationals washing their tax bills through brass plate companies and Ireland is around 13th richest.. in Europe... Which is why all our public services are so poor and we all still rely on private cars to get around the country....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You are the second person that posted here that doesn't seem to get the concept of deliveries.

1 van delivering to 50 houses is not the same as 50 people driving to Tesco and back. Also milk deliveries are done at stupid o clock in the morning so do not affect traffic.

Yes and no. There is a bit of jiggery pokery going on there but at the same time our taxation receipts are large enough that is not reflected in the services we get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Might be at whatever time, it's still an unnecessary journey when you consider you are already using Tesco delivery for the rest of your food shop. Or is it you that doesn't grasp the concept of deliveries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

What supermarket requires their customers to synchronise their shopping orders so that you all get deliveries on the same day / same time slot, please?

Pedestrians only have a right of way in some instances, eg when already crossing a road, when waiting to cross a road at a zebra crossing or when at a pelican crossing and the amber light is flashing.

Pedestrians don't have a "carte blanche" right to way to just step out into the road anywhere they choose or at a dipped kerb.

Correct…pedestrians have right of way. In the same way motorists only have right of way in certain circumstances. If a pedestrian steps out on the road (legally or illegally), motorists don’t have “carte Blanche” to run them over.

Post edited by 07Lapierre on

Ah, but you didn't specify that pedestrians only right of way in certain circumstances. Your post implied they had right of way in all circumstances. Like where there is a dipped kerb.

I am simply clarifying, that this is not the case, and pedestrians only have right of way in certain instances. Glad you agree.

• Advertisement

My post was quite clear: Its said "Although a pedestrian crossing the road also has right of way!" (it does not say pedestrians "thinking of crossing the road" or "who had yet to step onto the road" had right of way. The fact that you mis-read it is your problem.

I did not misread anything, and it was not clear. I knew it was incorrect, but someone else could have read it and thought it meant pedestrians have a right of way to just step out and cross wherever they want (eg at a dipped kerb) and that could result in an accident.

Maybe consider including the full context next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 g g murpho

Whatever your views are on who has or does not have right of way, ultimately the driver is protected, and the pedestrian is squishy.

Even if the driver has right of way it’s not a carte blanche to accelerate into the pedestrians’ mistakes and beep the horn like a mad man.

Expect the unexpected, slow down and drive a speed that allows you to stop in the distance you can see is clear.

If you see a pedestrian at a dipped kerb, slow down, anticipate that they may dismount and prepare to stop. Take your head out of your ass or your phone and pay attention.

Does a pedestrian need an eyesight test / medical / licence to walk around? No.

Does a driver need an eyesight report / licence to drive around? Yes, and in some cases a medical is needed.

Drivers have a greater duty of care. People driving cars are (or should be) licensed, competent to drive and doing so with full due care and attention.

Pedestrians may be disabled, physically or intellectually, blind, mobility impaired.

You are the one driving around in a mini sitting room weighing upwards to 2,000 kg at speeds of up to 50 km/h (all urban areas should be 20-30 km/h but that’s for a different thread).

Pedestrians are made of flesh and bone.

You see the difference?

How could it result in an accident if the drivers are driving at a speed that allows them to stop in the distance they can see is clear.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Given that logic, how do all the crashes around the country happen?

No. 1 reason is usually Speed, followed closely by distracted/drink/drug driving. Add into the mix Inexperienced/overconfident drivers driving powerful cars etc. (the list is endless)

One thing for sure is Peds jumping in front of poor helpless motorists is pretty far down the list.

Leaving aside your dramatics - someone not paying attention to the traffic can step out right in front of you in a split second.

I take it you've never had some eejit with earbuds jammed in and paying no attention step out in front of you without even pausing to look left or right as they stare at their phone? Dublin City Centre is actually desperate for that. I have, many times, and the only reason there WASN'T an accident was due to my being on the ball.

Squishy pedestrians also have a duty of care for their own safety too, and should not step out without checking left and right first. Pedestrians don't have a right to just walk out in front of oncoming traffic wherever they want, no matter what your views are.

What about blind pedestrians ?

Electric cars or even an ICE car coasting is quite quiet.

Weak example. Having a couple friends myself in the visually impaired community, I can assure you they are among the most careful pedestrians there are.

You have a nice day, now.

• Advertisement

The vast majority of pedestrians are very careful, in the same way as the vast majority of drivers are also careful. Being "on the ball" while driving is the correct way to drive. But if a ped is on the road it's the motorist who has the greater responsibility to ensure the ped's AND their own safety. That's just the way it is. (and righty so)

Advertisement