Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Ultra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

As someone else said, upgrading year to year is a fool's errand and a waste of money. Far better to wait 2-3 iterations and then go again. I will be going from a 12 to a 15 Plus and will benefit from a) USB-C charging b) significantly improved camera c) better battery life d) OLED screen and e) dynamic island gimmick.

These are all big improvements in three years.

Post edited by Doodah7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'll be upgrading i think from 12promax - but will probably wait until new year - it'll be easier talk to vodafone about upgrade price when 6 of us on family plan are all out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

I’ve a 13 Pro Max and the battery is excellent.

I really don’t want another big phone but the 5x optical zoom and battery life on the 15 Pro Max is just so much better than the 3x and smaller battery on the 15 Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm still on an 8 Plus that I got shortly after it came out, battery is at 82% and getting degradation warnings. That, combined with the likelihood of iOS 16 going EOL soon, has me considering a replacement. In fairness, to get 6 years out of a phone nowadays is great and I don't think I would have been able to hold on to an Android device for that long. But it still feels like I'll be replacing it just for the sake of staying in support, I don't think there's really anything in the newer devices that I want. The SE would feel like a downgrade due to the smaller screen so I might just end up reluctantly getting the base 15 and keeping it for another 6 years if I can!

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ye could just buy a iPhone 13. Apple still sell this model and it's about half the price of a 15.

Would still be a massive upgrade from an 8 too.

• Advertisement

Or a 12/13/14/15 Plus depending on your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If you upgrade to anything from 13 up it will be a huge upgrade, ,more display. better screen, faster operation, much better front and back camera. better battery life, face-id works very well (but many do prefer touch-id), better water resistance, 5G access.

On the subject of dynamic island, what's the verdict from iPhone 14 owners one year on?

Genuinely good or another Apple gimmick that never really became useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Definitely 100% a gimmick but at least it’s useable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I've been following the September Apple launch day on boards for ever and I've really noticed the forum this year is noticeably quiete copared to a decade ago.. looks to me that the loss of Steve Jobbs is begining to really show

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The main part of the reason that the forum is so slow this year is the massive drop in the number of users on boards since the update, nothing to do with the hype behind apple being gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I barely heard of Apple's launch this year only for the USB-C kerfuffle.

Definitely a combo of falling numbers on Boards and reduced hype for Apple.

It is also the case that current phones last so long battery-wise and speed-wise that yearly upgrades are not necessary. Add the fact that there are only tiny upgrades to the phone year on year (but have a significant effect cumulatively) and there is not much to get excited about.

When Apple pad out a keynote to nearly 90 minutes to announce iterative upgrades to just two products, then you know we have reached a plateau in personal technology.

It's nothing to do with Steve Jobs. Smartphones have become normal and ubiquitous now and people are not as excited by smartphones now as the new model features are not as dramatic or as disruptive as they were in the first few years.

It's the same for other phones. Have heard practically nothing about Samung's models over the last few years whilst the iPhone still gets some media attention.

My Taupe FineWoven case has just been delivered by DHL.

Feels fantastic, the outer shell is a hard plastic, with the weave material on the back.

i honestly don’t think it should be in the same price bracket as the leather cases tho.

probably costing them cents to produce.

Don't understand why you feel this way about a product but bought it anyway? That's why Apple keep selling accessories at exorbitant prices.

Plenty of excellent third party cases (and straps for watches) available on line for one fifth of the price.

I always buy my cases directly from apple, if i ever have an issue with a case, i'll have a new one with me within a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

I was going to buy the finewoven case until i read the smallprint. Apple says to expect wear with this type of case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I bought an Apple iPhone case once and wouldn't buy one again. I've had €10 cases from Amazon that last longer than Apple's do.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This is what i'm currently thinking, still undecided if I'll actually follow through with this train of thought though :)

I currently have 14 pro max, I normally change every two years and then give my phone to my wife. What i'm now thinking is I get the 15 pro max for €1235 (Apple F&F) Give my wife my 14 pro max which has 95% battery health and then sell my 12 pro max, battery health 95% (was changed by apple last Oct) to Swappie for €550, it has never been out of a case and has had a screen protector from day one also. It's in near new condition. I would then have a new phone for €685.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I’m also hoping to use a F&F discount. Work provides €550 towards a phone every couple of years. Would be seeing my iPhone 13 Pro and chainring to a iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Was considering a iPhone 15 Plus but wondering is that a step back from the 13 Pro

Not sure what type of issues you get with a case but I’ve never spent more than €15 on a case in 14 years of using iPhones and never had a problem. No case is worth €69.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

So all, what colour you getting? I am torn between Natural Titanium and the Blue.

I am the same with Cases. Spend a fortune on the phone and buy cheap but good cases.

FYI: Buy with Revolut and you will get 1% cashback

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Anybody know what price Vodafone will be to buy 15 Pro/Pro Max on PAYG? And when pre-ordered on Vodafone did the iPhone 14 pro come on launch day last year or was there a bit of a wait to get the phone? TIA

TBH I don't put my phone in a case and never have any issues. Feels counterintuitive, buying an expensive phone that looks and feels nice only to stick it in a clunky case. Even the official Apple cases are fairly clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

What time is the phone going on sale today do you know?

Just see they’ve put PM on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

How would anybody know?

Phones go on sale on their website at 1pm on Friday, no prices revealed yet which I find strange as it would be good to have time to look at options before launch time.

Phones will be delivered on launch day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

My son is planning to pre-order his 15 Pro Max with Select (previously CompuB) as you get a 3 year warranty with it

Advertisement