Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Ultra

Options
  • 31-07-2023 12:44pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So we're nearly in iPhone season, who's exited?

What's your thoughts on other items to be released?

I really hope they don't release another Ultra this year, i've barely got the value out of last years one yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

I have to say my 12 pro is still going strong. Can't see the point of upgrading just to get a better camera and that is really all the recent Apple iterations have offered sadly. As a  fanboy, it pains me to say that inovation is a thing of the past now with the company, but please note this is only my personal opinion 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not just iPhone, Android as well - how much better can phones get beyond this point? Would need to be some radical invention

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hear this often but it just not true. When smartphones first came out they were a disruptive and revolutionary product with new features being added at a fast pace.

Now 17 years later, the market has matured and phones are very well developed and each year you'll get a new iteration with smaller features.

That being said, people like yourself say that that the change is not much but an iPhone 8 from a few years back is a radically different and inferior phone to what's out today. The gradual changes all add up.

Even comparing 12 pro to 14 pro it's more than a camera difference.

Camera : 48mb v 12. Front camera autofocus. Better zoom

A16 v A14 chip

Promotion display v Super retina

Dynamic island.

Crash detection, emergency SOS via satellite.

Battery life./ 23 hours video playback v 17

This is just the hardware features added in 2 years with more to come this year then add on the impact of software developments and you'll see how phones advance.

I don't get what people are looking for in new phones to make them "innovative". It gets thrown at Apple all the time (like the iSheep ref) but Samsung and other manufacturers are the exact same.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I know what you are sating but even the benefits that you list are marginal:

Camera: who notices the difference of photo quality on the screen? It is only if you post-process them in photo software on a computer that the differences are evident.

Chip: again the difference in speed on a modern phone is imperceptible

Promotion v Retina: these are just Apple marketing buzzwords for broadly the same thing

Dynamic island is a response to those that didn't like the notch. If you don't notice the notch, then the dynamic island thing is no big deal.

Crash detection and satellite are niche features at best!

In three years Apple has barely moved the iPhone forward, same design, same layout, just the same. Dressing up this lack of innovation with higher res cameras and other relatively meaningless changes is pretty poor in my opinion.

Edit: just looking on Macrumors and the latest story is about how the iPhone 16 (not 15) will have yet another change to the camera. 95% of people don't give a damn about the image quality of an iPhone. It takes a picture.

Apple should stop wasting time and resources on their Vision Pro white elephant and focus on what they are supposedly good at.

Ok so you're just dismissing the new features as nothing without ever using them and getting things wrong.

Photo quality can be very obvious on screen, especially in relation to sharpness, depth of field, coulours etc.

The camera in one of the major features and selling point on modern day smart phones and much more important than you say. Especially to people who care about pictures.

The biggest selling point of the Pro Model v standard is the camera.

Promotion v retina. Yes they're marketing terms but there' not the same thing. Retina display is more to do with resolution and DPI whilst motion is to the with the smoothness of movement on the screens. Big difference.

Dynamic island: May not be a big deal to you but is too many others and the feature has been well received.

Crash Detection and Satellite. How are safety features like that niche. Accidents happen and the fact that your phone can detect a crash and call emergency services is an amazing safety feature to me and not just niche.

Anyhow, to me the complaints are just complaints for the sake of it? How have the competition progressed over the last 5 years,

Finally, your silly claim about Vision Pro is just prejudice and Apple are a huge company capable of developing more than one product at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My ‘silly’ claim about Vision Pro is ‘prejudice’… what does that even mean??? It will sell feck all and be quietly dropped within five years after wasting millions.

I glad for you though that you have bought into Apple’s marketing and hype for all those exciting features. Good on you.

And as for the camera, the old photographers maxim comes to mind: what is the best camera to have? The one you have with you. For most people on a night out or on holidays, the camera on their iPhone 11, 12, 13 or whatever is perfect for them. It is only the hypey fanbois that get excited by a new camera. A marginal improvemnt… every.single.year.

What is far more interesting to me are the new features in IOS 17. But of course that will work perfectly on any recent phone.

Presentation tonight at 1800 Irish time.

Biggest news for me is that they're switching to USB-C charging port because of the EU directive.

I think that's great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,812 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Correction - the amazing designed Apple USB C iPort.

If prices aren't crazy I'll be moving back to iPhone now that it has USB C.

Ha ha yes. No doubt it will be a courageous decision to switch to USB -C.

It's certainly not something though that would make me switch away/to iphone as phone has other advantages over rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Me too been waiting for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Looking forward to jumping to a 15 Pro Max/Ultra from my ailing XS Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Is the Livestream event sringat 6pm Irish time?

They've decided the iPhone 15 doesn't deserve USB 3 speeds.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

128gb option is now gone on the 15 pro max range, what price was the 256gb 14 pro max, i know the 128gb was €1479?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Honestly don't know what to think of the iPhone 15.

I'm currently on a 12 Pro, this is the longest I've held the same model. It's not terrible but it's definitely not a wow upgrade either, feels a bit like a filler year.

I'm not sure whether this is worth an upgrade or to hold off 1 more year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’m in the same boat with the 12 PM. I think it’s worth the upgrade this year. Although will go for the smaller pro model as I’ve grown to hate the larger phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Just checked my invoice and it was €1,619 my 14 Pro Max 256gb vs €1,489. AppleCare is also €20 cheaper on the newer phone too.

Just having a look on the Apple Store again and it's only €120 to go from the 256 Pro to the Pro Max.

Ideally I was looking at the 15 but will probably spring for the 128GB Pro around Christmas time.

• Advertisement

But aren’t you ignoring the previous two years upgrades with this logic. So better screen, camera, processsor dynamic island etc.

I always think that upgrading after one year is never worth it and it’s after two to three years that you start to see worthwhile upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

The XS Max was the best one I’ve used , contemporaneously speaking.

Such a huge upgrade over previous models.

I've a 13 Pro Max and I’m looking at the 15 Pro. I buy the phone for the camera but the larger Pro Max just annoys me at this stage. pity the camera on the Pro Max is better otherwise I’d go for the smaller Pro every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So no iPhone 15 Ultra then I was looking forward to paying €5k for a phone.

Nothing in any of those 15's that would have me upgrading from my 13Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

What was the reason for the drop in price ? I paid €1619 for the 14PM 256

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The prices were increased across the Irish online store last year when the USD to EUR was stronger than it was now. They’ve reduced the pricing across the online store now to reflect that the dollar is not as strong as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

no one have any ideas what the cost of this on Vodafone or other carriers might be? Vodafone are allowing pre orders from Friday at 1PM, but no pricing yet...

The Natural Titanium colour looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭pedatron

That's the one for me too I think. I'm considering upgrading from a blue 12 to a 16 Pro Natural Titanium. I bought my 12 through humm finance previously and found it great. I was able to pay it off when I could and it didn't cripple me. Waiting for info to go up on Harvey Norman or one of the stores.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Pretty underwhelming with nothing worth upgrading for. As much as I am dying for USB-C on the iPhone (every other gadget I use is USC-C), I will wait till next year. (Currently on a 14 Pro)

Advertisement