Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate My Team Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭bodking

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭bodking

Here is my three to consider , not nailed but excellent bench material.

Midfielder Carney Chukwuemeka Chelsea 4.5

Midfielder Elliot Anderson Newcastle 4.5

Midfielder Alejandro Garnacho ManU 5.0

Chukwuemeka has played just behind Jackson has 3 assists , Anderson has 4 goals and 3 assists in preseason and Garnacho looked unstoppable against Lens .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

If you were to go without Haaland for the first five weeks you'd be looking at these captains:

GW1 Saka v NFO - Haaland v BUR

GW2 Salah v BOU - anyone without Salah has Haaland v NEW

GW3 Rashford v NFO - Haaland v away to Shu

GW4 Kane away to Burnley, Haaland v FUL

GW5 Kane v SHU, Haaland away to West Ham

Other than GW4 you'd fancy the non-Haaland pick to go ok

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

I’d love to go without Haaland too but I just don’t think I’m a good enough player or certainly not dedicated enough.

The fact that he is captained nearly every week just further adds to the potential damage.

It may be a bit cowardly but I’d rather just pick the 14 players that go with him.

If I didn’t mind burning my team after 5-6 weeks, if Haaland scored heavy, then I’d do it but I’m in for the long haul. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

I'm set on going with Salah, so I've yet to come up with the right combo of 4/4.5 defender, Mids & attacker. Might downgrade Bruno and spread out the funds then. Turner if he goes to Forest will be in for Areola. 7 or 8 of these could easily change over next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My first draft.

Happy enough with the back five bar Lamptey because I'm not sure how much he'll feature but he'll do until a cheap guy starts to stand out. Maybe I'll switch Martinez to Saliba though. Was staying away from City defenders because I'm not sure who actually plays now they've that many.

Midfield? Good to have Grealish and Salah. Gross has great fixtures and scored well last year so hoping for a fast start from him. Jones is there for the first few games but I think Klopp is going to play him an awful lot this season so I'll re-evaluate him in a few weeks. Tielmans is a bit of a gamble, I'm hoping his form last year was a bit of a blip and we'll see him up the effort massively this season.

Don't need to say anything about the two chaps up front. If Kane goes then I'll swap a few things around and beef up midfield or move for Son or Jota and upgrade Balogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Have been tempted to go without him myself, but I'll likely chicken out.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

This looks decent and im on a very similar team currently. Saliba to batman/ pau maybe to free up funds? James to colwill maybe also ? Although imagine you want james for attacking returns. I guess you will go 3/4/3 most weeks so I would look to trim some money from 4th defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Current Draft

Flekken (Turner)

TAA, Gabriel, James (Estupinan, Baldock)

Rashford, Saka, Mitoma, Tielemans (4.5 TBD)

Haaland, Watkins, Gapko

Not sure on GK, Gabriel, James, Mitoma or Gapko so more tinkering needed. Biggest decision is whether to go with Salah or not for me, have always started with him

Obviously I like being different for the sake of it in FPL, fancy play syndrome is a good term I heard on twitter but that’s whats enjoyable. And obviously its confirmation bias but I can definitely make a case for not having Haaland but then everyone skipping over him is the same but opposite, literally not one thing I have listened to has suggested going without, its just skipped over. So either a no brainer or massive group think.

At £14m you could argue Haaland is overpriced, he needs to score over 300 points for that to be an accurate price for him and I don’t think a striker can make that, Salah is the only player to ever do it, Suarez went close, both got CS points. Haaland hits 40 goals this year he still doesn’t make 300. 

I don’t like many teams for clean sheets, looking at last years top performers

Manchester United 17 - New sweeper keeper, its going to take time to get used to this IMO

Liverpool 14 - Losing Fab and Henderson can't be good for them

Newcastle United 13 - I expect to see a regression to Eddie Howe's norm plus a tough start

Arsenal 13 - Probably around the same

Wolverhampton Wanderers 11 - these lads have brought in Doherty and are sacking their manager

Aston Villa 11 - I'd expect them to improve on this

Brentford 11 - I think Brentford will be back a long way this year, second season syndrome in their third season, Toney and Raya gone is massive

Manchester City 11 - I think this can be closer to 18

Chelsea 9 - who f**king knows

The City triple up should mean I have at least two playing every week with hopefully three, Pep didn’t do much defensive rotation at the start of last year. So in the case where City win 2-0 and Haaland scores both I would consider that a breakeven. Obviously where City win 4-1 I’m fucked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Personally think Andersen 4.5m is a massive trap. He played with 395 minutes last season. A decent pre-season doesn’t really mean much when you’re a second string player. Why do people think he’ll get more minutes this season? Newcastles midfield looks pretty full too, not as if they’re light on options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Turner gone to Forest 🤔

Currently on Pickford and Areola....Turner could replace either of them I guess

Will he play v Arsenal, heard someone yesterday suggesting they may have an agreement that he wouldn't. Interested from the Arsenal attack POV at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Thoughts on this? Going for a strong 15 rather than the weak bench.

Dunno tbh.... Hennessy is likely to start if not I'd imagine 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Asking for trouble with double Everton DF IMO. Better 4.5 DF's out there.

Gakpo could be a great option at a great price, toying with him myself - minutes the issue but could be a great differential. Surely starts over Darwin?

Is there cogent argument for going with Son over Bruno/Rashford?

I'm assuming there isn't but trying to break away from the template squad

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

As far as the teams go - Man U scored 58 goals last season and finished 3rd. Spurs scored 70 goals and finished 8th.

Spurs now have a very very attacking manager. Let’s win by 6 if we can.

I think United’s manager is a tad more reserved. Let’s just win.

I’m not sure how cogent that is but in fairness I didn’t try very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,274 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I was set on Foden as a somewhat differential but now I'm starting to think that he is going to be a bit-part player at City again this year - starting 2 in 4, never nailed etc. They have bought a player who can play in the middle and now looking at another. Silva seems to be RW now with Grealish nailed in LW.

It's probably better to just try hop on him at the right time, rather than start with him. It's making me want to try a Salah draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Pickford

Chilwell, Gabriel, Mings (Botman, 4.0)

Rashford, Saka, Bruno, Mitoma, Son

Haaland (C), Watkins (4.5)

I'm pretty happy with this. I had Darwin as a third striker but prefer to downgrade him and have Son as a differential.

Pickford could also be changed to another 4.5 keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

I've been leaning more and more towards going without Haaland. Not sure if I'll have the bottle to do it eventually, but it makes sense in my head. I'm going with 11 guaranteed starters and a bare bones bench.

Current team looks like this:

If you went without Haaland, and picked Kane (who was only 9 pts worse off), that gives an extra 1.5m to spread around the place. Salah scored 239 last year so you need to find another 230 pts from somewhere, factoring in the extra 9 that Kane was missing last year. Is anyone confident of getting 230 points from somewhere handy enough?

I'm thinking with going with the above until GW4 or 5. I'll replace one of the Ars DEFs out for whoever is performing well out of Chilwell, James, Stones etc. But the plan then is to switch Haaland and Rashford out for Kane and KDB, if he starts firing. Or upgrade Pedro to Hojlund/Lukaku/Jackson/Alvarez if he doesn't. It would be easy enough to keep Rashford if he's firing and get rid of any of the others for whoever is performing in the 7.5-9.0m bracket.

It makes the captain choices more difficult, but Salah has decent fixtures bar GW4, 7 & 8. Kane plays BUR(a), LIV(h) and FUL(h) those weeks, so GW7 is really your only headache and Rashford plays Palace away that week. City have horrible fixtures from GW8 through GW14. I'm giving serious consideration to not having any of their players for that period, which is basically all of October and November.

Overall, I think going with just Haaland on his own is asking for trouble. Or just Salah or just Kane on their own also. I think you need two of the three, and after the first 7 weeks I think those two are Salah and Kane.

Am I mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,662 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Are you forgetting whose managing Everton now? They had six clean sheets between February and the end of last season. Now Dyche has had a full preseason with them.

Burnley were up near the top of the league in clean sheets every year under him.

Everton have a nice run of fixtures to start the season.

They've had cleans sheets in the last four preseason games. It hasn't been great opposition outside of Sporting but they are already showing what you get with Dyche.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Currently on:

Steele (Turner)

Estupinan / Gabriel / Colwill (Bell / Beyer)

Diaby / Jota / Saka / Rashford (Chukwuemeka)

Kane / Haaland / Pedro

The bench players could be anyone, just looking for someone who might get game time and 1 or 2 points if needed. Colwill could become Pau / Botman / other 4.5m. Diaby could also be any other 6.5M mid, don't want double Brighton attack hence not Mitoma (plus I already have 3 Brighton!) Not happy with Keepers, I have 0.5 in the bank so might change to Onana but the money in the bank is always handy to have at the start.

Kane and Salah will probably interchange throughout the season, just hoping Jota can provide some cover for Salah in the first couple of weeks.

I'm having the same thoughts around 2nd FWD now too.

I had Jesus but then went off him, so switched to Darwin, when turned to Gakpo who is in a bit of a flip-flop with Jackson (mainly as I wanted some Liverpool attacker as the goals are flowing this pre-seaoson). But Villa do have a decent first 12 weeks or so, which more than covers the first WC, and Watkins is interesting there.

Watkins / Gakpo / Jackson and they have varying degrees of proof behind them. I don't want to book in ore than 1 transfer for the first few weeks either. As I write this, I am kinda siding towards and order of 1.Gakpo 2.Jackson 3.Watkins because Liverpools attack / Chelsea have strong short term fixtures / Villa's fixtures are more long terms fixtures and can be kicked down the road a bit to GW8 and we don't know how they will rotate with Europe.

All of the above is dependent on not going with Salah, of course.

I had Son for a while but instead switched to Maddison and now I'm thinking of just booking that transfer in for GW3 completely instead! Aaah!

I think if there is any time to go without Haaland it is for the games between GW9 & GW14 and the potential rotation. But other than that, he could be a must own.

That run of games goes like this;

• 9 - Brighton- h
    • CL GW 3
    • 10 - man united - a
    • 11 -bournemouth - h
    • CL GW 4
    • 12 - chelsea - a
    • 13 - Liverpool -h
    • CL GW 5
    • 14 - Spurs - h

But we didn't see much rotation last year with Haaland in the first half of the season, and those CL games could be against the weaker seeds too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

It's Dyche and he keeps it tight, no denying it but it's still Everton at the end of the day.

To be pedantic, they had 5 clean sheets from the start of February in 18 games. It's hardly an incredible return especially if you're relying on a defender and GK to get CS's and Paterson is hardly renowned for is attacking output. Yes you can rotate but that's tough to get right week in, week out.

Everton may well start well and get CS's, the double up could be a great strategy but definitely not for me. Burnley were decent under Dyche for CS's but I can't recall ever doubling up on them defensively.

Richarlison isn't nailed as far as I can see. Son- Kane - Madison up front

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Hennessey is injured but he’s the third choice now anyway. Horvath would be the one to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,662 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I often had Tarkowski and Heaton/Pope and sometimes Mee. It almost always worked out well.

In the first eight weeks a Sean Dyche team has home games against Fulham, Wolves, Luton and Bournemouth. They are away to Sheffield United as well.

Their other fixtures are away to Villa and Brentford, we'll see how Brentford do without Toney, and then home to Arsenal who funnily enough they beat 1-0 at home late last season.

This isn't a season long hold on Everton players, after eight weeks there's a decision to be made. If they manage to have three or more clean sheets then it'll be hard to drop them but if they have less than that they are gone.

Anyway the gameweeks you'd consider them for are 1, 3, 4, 7 and 8. You have Forest to rotate for weeks 2 and 5 and then Luton or Crystal Palace for gameweek 6.

After week 8 you have to start finding other teams to rotate at cheap prices.

You could rotate Everton with Burnley from week 9 on, 9 would be a tough week but they work well together from there until week 15.

Burnley, Dyche's former team funnily enough, are going under the radar as a defensive team. They had the best defensive record in the Championship last season conceding 35 goals in 46 games. They have a manager in Vincent Kompany who knows a thing or two about a good defense. Imo the best 4.0m defender in FPL this year is Jordan Beyer.

Advertisement