Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well thank you Craig, for admitting that Layton didn't just dance a paso, he basically danced a showdance - but he still scored it a 10.

That's the dance competition element officially out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just mentioned now by Anton that he was holding too high on the hip.

On ITT during the week they said it was going to a number from A Chorus Line. The programme info also said it would be a Fosse inspired number. No idea why they changed it.

The last bit was Fosse - I saw the ITT, and they'd described the three parts, the audition, Karen doing her life-story-solo bit, and then the Fosse part......

Oh was that last night? I missed last night's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They did a number from A Chorus Line last night - which I loved.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭hamburgham

He’s not great but he isn’t helped by Diane’s boring choreography. Has she ever put together a memorable routine? They had a good tune last night and it was still a boring dance.

Very frustrating for Katya. She’s fantastic but rarely gets a chance to shine.

Yes, same here. I used be obsessed with it almost no interest now. The VTs and sob stories are painful. I can’t stand Claudia. The two best pros in my view, Giovanni and Katya both given same sex partners over the last couple of years, just didn’t work and we didn’t get to see them dance then.

Yes, totally agree. No idea how Karen and Dianne are still around. Thank God Janette is gone. On the pro challenge on ITT, Dianne managed to get zero steps as she did every single one wrong. Didn’t surprise me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

I know it’s been mentioned a few times upthread, but the height difference between Bobby and Dianne is not helping his case. He ends up stooping and ruining his top line. Ridiculous that he was partnered with Dianne when a much taller pro (Nadiya) didn’t get a partner this year. I think he would have done much better if he had been partnered with Nadiya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I think everyone has their personal favourite pros. While I love the additions of Jowita and Lauren, I loved Janette. I like Dianne as well.

I think Karen is holding on because she really wants to lift the glitterball at least once. The closest she ever got was 2nd, with Jaime Lang. I think a lot of them do that.

I read somewhere that Karen is doing something professionally with Gorka as her dance partner.

Gorka and Karen both do the Dancing with the Stars weekends that they do in hotels in england. a weekend of demonstrations and classes. A lot of the strictly pros do those weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I have no expertise, so couldn't really judge the standard of the pros. But I do agree that Dianne and Karen don't look as skilled as others to my uneducated eye. I do really like Dianne though and feel personality is important too to keep the show interesting. I always really liked Janette too and never saw her as a poorer dancer. To me the pros that stand out now above the others as really skilled are Giovanni and Lauren. Oti used to too.

I'd be interested to hear more of why Dianne, Karen, Janette are considered lower calibre by those in the know. Is it their competition wins?

Who are the top pros in terms of accomplishments - past and/or present?

Well Karen is a former world champion so couldn't be the criteria that people are using.

I read that she's a former world mambo champion alright. Maybe mambo isn't considered of sufficient importance to count for much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Carlos is a world champion and I think he's an excellent dancer and teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Karen has absolutely no Latin or Ballroom pedigree. She was a mambo dancer.

Dianne at least has proper Latin and Ballroom pedigree but I don't think she is a good teacher and it's all about her, rather than her partner.

Janette was very much a latecomer to ballroom and has never competed properly in Latin or Ballroom. Her main experience was from Burn the Floor.

My gripe with Strictly is they have ditched a load of proper Latin and Ballroom competitive dancers and replaced them with pro dancers who knows a bit of Latin and Ballroom.

I obviously didn't pay much attention to the scores last week apart from Layton's 40. Can't believe Bobby was ahead of Annabel after that poor recreation of Dirty Dancing!

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, Layton didn't think he'd be good at the charleston? Really???

This is why I've had kind of enough of him, although that charleston was brilliant in fairness - not up with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for charisma for me, but well deserving of the 40.

But he completely lucked out getting that in the semi final, while poor Annabel got the salsa.

Hoping the VW will suit Annabel as well, and she gets a huge score. Although the music isn't exactly inspiring......

Can't see Annabel getting to the final unless it's Annabel, Elli, Bobby and Layton in that order for the public vote. Any other combination and she's gone.

I now need to gouge out my eyes after seeing Vito in those trousers. What was seen can't be unseen 🫣

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm still so disappointed for Nigel and Katya. It would have been a lot more interesting, imo, with them still around.

Don't open the spoiler if it bothers you 😝

Bobby vs Annabel.

Annabel out.

Split decision - Motsi, Anton and Shirley saved Bobby. Craig saved Annabel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

I really wish that person didn’t leave, I’d hoped they had the public behind them, at least the final is all pubic vote, the judges are so biased this year. It’s so blatant.

Ah, poor Bobby in ribbons after that!

In fairness, Annabel was the weakest dancer left so I won't argue with that for a decision. Hard to tell who was comforting whom in that last dance - Johannes is a bit OTT this series, slightly uncomfortable viewing sometimes. Better than being an emotionless robot, I suppose......

I think it was the right decision, but would have accepted the opposite result too. She was the weakest dancer. But only by a small margin - she has improved massively through the series, and it was very enjoyable to see her progress. Bobby was good to begin with - a natural - but he hasn't actually progressed as much. He has kind of stagnated a bit.

I hope Ellie wins the final anyway. I loved her cha cha this week.

Layton was always at or near the top so he always safe from elimination EXCEPT for the week he was third from bottom and was in the dance off. I think ghe final is Ellies for the taking.

Bobby the "king of ballroom". Oh f**k off Shirley 🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Oh I’d love to see Ellie win it, she’s been terrific throughout, thankfully it’s down to public vote for the final!

• Advertisement

Didn’t see the whole programme. Trust you’re talking about the cha cha trousers? I thought it was just me! Couldn’t actually take my eyes off him.Now Kai in his lederhosen was something that truly can’t be unseen. I’m still surprised he agreed to it.

Advertisement