Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today’s movies are just crap, help me delve into some golden oldies.

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ottolwinner

Beverly Hills cop is on tv now. 1984 hard to believe it’s nearly 40 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) is superb. Last Embrace (1979) directed by Jonathan Demme little known but excellent. Telefon (1977) directed by Don Siegel and North Sea Hijack (1980) is also enjoyable. Love The Wild Geese (1978) with Richard Harris, Richard Burton and Roger Moore. Most of my movie collection spans 1940-1980.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Get the f* out of here.

If you're into out there comedy, try the Danish film Riders of Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Watched key Largo with Bogart and nacall on DVD at weekend. Then rear window with Jimmy Stewart.

God they don't make them like that anymore☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Watched Parkland the other night on TV. Thought it was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Last Embrace is excellent, very paranoid feel to it. I found Telefon on VHS at home last week, taped off TV in 90s. Must rewatch

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Counte of Monete Cristo,

Django

Tango and Cash

Lethal Weapons

Old Robocop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Trespass starring Ice T, Ice Cube and Bill Paxton was on the other night. I remember watching this when I was young and thinking it was very good.

On a similar vein, I'm assuming you've seen Judgement Night? Great movie. Demolition Man is another one from that oeuvre I watched recently and was pleasantly surprised by; very prescient movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Electric Gypsy

Probably not considered a classic, but one I'm due to watch soon is Domestic Disturbance with John Travolta.

I'm going to make a point also of posting some movies I've enjoyed that, aren't considered classics:

• Shame (2011) - Not a feel-good movie and doesn't have a satisfying ending, but I found it very interesting. I still don't know whether it's actually good or not! I just like it! It's definitely different. I actually found it kind of boring the first time I watched it. But I keep going back to it. Don't watch it with your grandmother!
    • Bitter Moon (1992 or 94?) - One of the few movies that depicts love from a male perspective. Very interesting to see how a woman will get revenge in a very different way to a man.
    • Rope (Hitchcock 1948ish) - I was amazed at how the entire film was done in one take, and takes place almost entirely in one room. I found the discussions in it fascinating.
    • Fear (1996) - On the one hand it may be viewed as a silly MTV movie, but I think this one's unique somehow. I found it very true how sometimes when you have a bad feeling about someone, everyone will tell you you're wrong, and how you should trust your own instincts. William Petersen's character is entirely on his own with his viewpoint in this one.
    • Disclosure (1994) - This one wouldn't be allowed to be made in today's environment. We get to see a woman make inappropriate sexual advances towards a man in the work place. Unfortunately there's one terrible scene where Michael Douglas' character has a bad dream and imagines the CEO trying to kiss him in an elevator... apart from that it's a great movie.
    • American History X (90s) - Very relevant with what has been going on with the republican extremists and Trump as of recently.
    • The Founder (2017) - Tells the story of how Ray Kroc took over and expanded McDonalds.
    • U-Turn (1996) - Definitely didn't enjoy it first time, but have been compelled to go back.
    • Lakeview Terrace (2008) - Samuel L Jackson abuses his authority as a cop, towards his new neighbours
    • Burn After Reading - Very good, but unfortunately there's unnecessary and unrealistic violence in it. The Cohen brothers just have to put that in their movies!
    • Rear Window (Hitchcock 50s) - Enjoyed it!
    • Nightcrawler (2014)
    • Body Heat (1982)
    • Matchstick Men (2003)
    • K-PAX (2001)
    • Unfaithful (2002)
    • Surviving The Game (1994)
    • Fracture (2007)
    • Malice (1993)
    • American Beauty (1998ish)

• Advertisement

Just going to list loads of movies I've watched relatively recently and give them arbitrary ratings.

Awakenings - 9.5 (Transcendent stuff. De Niro and Williams are at the peak of their artistic powers)

Cry Macho - 6 (Forgettable and Eastwood has done it better in several other movies but easy enough to watch with nice cinematography)

A Perfect World - 9 (Costner is great in this. Really enjoyable road movie featuring Costner as an escaped con on the run with a repressed young boy hostage)

No Way Out - 9 (Gene Hackman's in his element as the big bad in this espionage noir thriller)

Tootsie - N/A (Had to turn it off it was boring me so bad)

Rain Man - 9 (In a similar vein to A Perfect World, really enjoyable road movie with Hoffman in impeccable form and Cruise tolerable, and believable as the entitled yuppie brother)

The Killer - 7 (Bit up its own arse for what it is. Dialogue a bit hackneyed at times and one of the fight scenes was entirely out of place and looked like something from a Liam Neeson or Alien Vs Predator movie)

A Walk Among the Tombstones - 9 (Really enjoyed this. Liam Neeson in his element as a disgraced cop turned private detective hired by an underworld Scion to find his kidnapped wife. More noir elements than the usual Neeson actioner. Suitably dark. Wouldn't have been out of place being produced in the 90s)

The Many Saints of Newark - 4 (Poorly written and messily edited. Sadly adds nothing to The Sopranos lore. Michael Gandolfini's performance summing up what's wrong with nepotism. Jon Bernthal criminally underused. Loads of clumsy callbacks to the show. In summation: the opening scene got a laugh out of me and was well done but it was all downhill from there. Vera Farmiga's performance as Livia probably one of, if not the only, highlights)

Boulevard - 7 (Forgotten latter-day Robin Williams vehicle with Williams starring as a closeted homosexual who develops a kinship with a young male prostitute. Decent stuff. Maybe Williams last strong role)

Saw X - 6 (Tobin Bell still knocking his role as Jigsaw out of the park)

Flawless - 6 (Robert De Niro as a homophobe and Philip Seymour Hoffman as a drag queen neighbors in an NY apartment complex. De Niro suffers a stroke while intervening in a robbery. As part of his recovery, PSH is enlisted to give him singing lessons. Flawed movie but worth watching for two great performances by masters of their craft)

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane - 7 (Jodie Foster as unsupervised and mysterious young girl apparently living by herself but ostensibly living with her hitherto unseen father. Martin Sheen as the pedophile son of her nosy landlord. Was interested to see which way this would go, and though it didn't maximise its potential, definitely worth a watch for people who enjoy movies of a 70s vintage. Sheen very believable as the potential child molester)

Dave - 6 (Presidential lookalike Kevin Kline drafted in to replace the president after he takes ill. Inoffensive stuff)

Constantine - 9 (Went into this with lowered expectations as I'm not generally a fan of superhero/comic book movies or Keanu Reeves but really enjoyed this. Role suits Reeves and it's really dark, hard-boiled and noir with superb imagery and special effects. Peter Stormare and Tilda Swinton chew the scenery, in a good way, as Lucifer and the angel Gabriel)

Fallen - 9 (Really enjoyed this. Not Denzel Washington's biggest fan but he was tremendous in this supernatural thriller as a detective chasing a serial killer who can switch between bodies. Great cast and makes excellent use of the Rolling Stones song "Time is on My Side" in several cleverly choreographed scenes. Highly recommend)

Post edited by JeffreyEpspeen on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I cannot believe you couldn't watch Tootsie. How far along were you when you stopped watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I finally got through most of the movies recommended in this thread.

I thought Lana Turner was brilliant in Madame X - she should have won an Oscar for that performance. Judgment at Nurenberg was class. The script was very powerful.

Death Hunt was good too.

I think I will explore more Korean movies next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Oldboy, Memories of Murder and The Host are some nice starting points.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I actually have seen the first two, but It has been a long time since I watched them, I might revisit them again. Have you seen I Saw the Devil?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mostly from nice Korea but Pulgasari is from naughty Korea.

The Good the Bad the Weird - Kimchi Western set in China during the Japanese occupation

Train to Busan

I'm a Cyborg, but That's OK

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Overhand loop

@Capt'n Midnight I can't believe someone else watched Noi the Albino!

Post edited by Overhand loop on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Myself and the Mrs going through an 80s binge currently, we watched escape from new York and escape from LA this week. Snake plissken is one of those iconic movies characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Overhand loop

Some are of more current times but after digging through my memories and DVD collection I've compiled a list of ones that left some impression. So, in no particular order: 

2001: A Space Oddysey - 1968. How? How?! In 1968?! 

Once Upon a Time in America - 1984. Still remember watching it in cinema. Much better than the Irishman and not as long. 

Roma - 2018. A truly cinematic masterpiece! Modern yet so classic. 

Marriage Story - 2019. Adam Driver singing at the end is something. 

The Tree of Life - 2011. Another thought provoking cinematic masterpiece full of visuals. 

Samsara - 2011. A feast for your eyes. 

Sunshine - 2007

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - 2013. Never knew a comedy could be so existential. And Sean Penn? ! Damn he's cool. 

Manchester by the Sea - 2016

Falling Down - 1993 There are people who completely miss the point of this movie? 

Bokeh - 2017

Drive - 2011

The Lunch Box - 2013. So bittersweet. 

The Aviator - 2004. Anything with this guy should be re-watched numerous times. 

The Hunt with Mads Mikkelsen - 2012. Subtitled but it's Mads! 

Eden Lake - 2008. Modern day Deliverance. 

A Lonely Place to Die - 2011. Deliverance set in Scotland. 

Waking Ned Devine - 1998. Irish wit and The Waterboys music. Great craic. 

Harry Brown - 2009. "You failed to maintain your weapon, son." It should be up there with "You're only suppose to blow the bloody doors off!" 

Locke - 2013. Basically one man band but some orchestra it is! 

Captive State - 2019. I wonder why it was taken down on Netflix during the lockdown and re-added recently? 

Leave No Trace - 2018

Captain Fantastic - 2016

Into the Wild - 2007

The Place Beyond the Pines - 2012. Oh, I love neo Noir. And yes, it's Ryan Gosling.

I should probably stop before I'm taken down as spam. 

Advertisement