Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today’s movies are just crap, help me delve into some golden oldies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

With Halloween comming up here are a couple of great horror movies to get your teeth into. pardon the pun.

From Dusk Til Dawn. This a vampire movie with DannybTrego. I started my horror fest Friday nigh watching this horror movie.

Last night I watched Tne Amitivlle Horror the 1979 Version. Reportedly based on a true story. I had not seen it in years. A very good horror movie.

Then I went on a horror movie marathon run. This included the 1964 American psychological thriller Hush Hush Sweet Charolite Starring the late Brittish actress Betty Davis.I included Hush Hush Sweet Charolette even though it's not what many people would class as your standard horror movie. When I first watched it a a young boy it scared the life out of me. I had nightmares for a week after watching it. check it out if you like a good scare.

After recovering from the Scares of Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte I went for the classic vampire movie the 1964 horror The Last Man on Earth Zombie movie starring the brilliant Vincent Price. Vince Price plays a man trying to out run zombies after that are now invading what's left of planet eart after global pandemic.The Last Man on Earth inspired a remake I Am Legend 2007 starring Will Smith. That's just a flavour of some classic horror movies that have stood the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The 400 Blows, have always avoided this one as the name felt intimidating. Turns out it's a bit like a darker Stand By Me. Nice mix of funny and sad.

I would but I don't know the tune. Sorry. I know not funny.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) BBC 1 Sun, 10 Sept 22:30

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) BBC2 Mon, Mon, 11 Sept 23:15 Bette Davis Joan Crawford

True Grit (1969) Film 4 Tue, 12 Sept 16:45

The Evil Dead (1982) BBC 2 Mon, 11 Sept 00:00

Gremlins (1984) 5 Star Sat, 16 Sept 14:05

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) Great Movies 2:20p.m. on Sat 16 Sep 2023 It's the one with the whales. Note: these days Aluminium Oxide / Nitride / Oxynitride is used to make very tough glass.

Mad Max (1979) ITV4 9p.m. on Sun 10 Sep 2023 / 11:10p.m. on Tue 12 Sep 2023 The original no-budget one.

Earth vs the Flying Saucers (1956) Film 4 Sat, 16 Sept 11:00 if you like Ray Harryhausen effects.

Reservoir Dogs (1992) TG4 Sat 16 Sep 9:30p.m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am slowly getting through the list:)

Shadowlands

Telefon

Last Embrace

Witness

Good Morning Vietnam.

I enjoyed then all except for Telefon.

Charles Bronson as a communist officer in the USSR just does not work for me. Good Morning Vietnam is probably the pick of the bunch. What a class actor Robin Williams was. I had seen Witness and Shadowlands before but both were well worth watching again.

Patch Adam's and One Hour Photo to name but two were excellent. Also The Angerest Man In The World. The former mentioned I came accross by accident. I'm not going to spoil it in case some posters intent to watch it. Having said that I would definitely recommend giving it a watch if you have not seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I keep meaning to watch One Hour Photo. He was also very good in Christopher Nolan's Insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

A few recommended titles you might fancy a watch:

Lost in Translation - Hated Bill Murray in Films until he started appearing in Wes Anderson films. Love him now. This isnt an Anderson film but its well worth a watch and its almost a love letter to the City of Tokyo. Not fast moving but really good.

The Right Stuff - Homage to the original Mercury Astronauts and the test Pilots of the US Airforce in the early 60s.

In the Heat of the Night - Rod Steiger and Sydney Poitier in a Crime whodunnit in deepest darkest Mississippi

The Birdcage - The Hollywood remake of La Cages Aux Folles. Robin Williams and Nathan Lane are marvellous but so are their supporting cast.

Once Upon a Time in America - Sergio Leone's final film. The one that broke him. My Fav Gangster film

Paths of Glory - One of 2 Kubrik films I selected. Kirk Douglas as a French officer tasked with defending deserters in a WW1 courtroom drama

Dr. Strangelove - Peter Sellars, George C Scott in Kubriks Cold War epic.

Apocalypse Now - The film version of the book "Heart of Derkness".

And Justice For All - Al Pacino as an enthusiastic lawyer slowly destroyed by a corrupt legal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Thought you've seen everything? Scrolling endlessly without any hope of finding something to watch? Well rest assured.

If you ever go to a foreign country with an obscure native tongue, you'll find that the local stations hire a person, a special person. But not just any person. This person is hired specifically to watch all the "western" crap, slap some subtitles on there and air it without delay to their desperate post-communist state.

For this recommendation, I travelled all the way to Croatia for the soul purposes of finding a recommendation for you. Today's recommendation is: Arlington Road - starring Jeff bridges and Tim Robbins. Pull up your favourite alcoholic beverage, close the curtains, and let this thriller suck you in, tumble you about and spit you out a changed man

• Advertisement

Raw, intense, visceral and gritty are just some of the few words that describe Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch. The film features an all star cast of talented actors who light up the screen in the classic western and goes down as one of the best westerns of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Watched I Am Legend a few days ago. Very mid with terrible CGI and a crap ending

If you want a decent horror for Halloween, get The Witch from 2016.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,073 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I watch the Virgin spring last night. I really wasnt overly impressed to be honest. He's done better. I'd put that down to the screenplay rather than then direction though, which wasn't his to be fair. I'd also put my lack of impression down to being anaesthetised by similar rape/revenge stories and movies thought the years.

I can certainly understand how it was received as it was back in 1960. It's pretty hard hitting and visceral. Beautifully shot.

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The alternative ending is much better oddly enough but ya, just visual spectacle rather than a good movie. Plus Matheson stories are so good.

The Witch is a classic, would also recommend The Lighthouse. The latter really shows off the acting chops of Robert Pattinson. Love the general folkloric feel to Robert Eggers movies.

Will check that out. Thanks for the recommendation.

If you are into comedies I came across this 1976 very funny comedy The Bad News Bears starring the excellent and very funny Walter Matthau. Walter plays the role of Butter maker,the cigar chomping drunk who's job as a baseball player is to get the best out of a bunch of very young kids who play baseball. I have to say it's one of the best comedies I have seen in quiet awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It's hilarious

Richard Linklater remade it in 2005 - not bad but the original shines more.

Haven't seen the 2005 remake. I will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This popped up scrolling on Amazon prime. Under Suspicion.

Anyone seen it? Great cast Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman but reviews are mixed.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I haven't seen it but with that cast you are guaranteed a great watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Another excellent film with Walter Matthau, with a rather poorer recent remake, was the Taking of Pelham 123. Tense 70's heist thriller but with plenty of sardonic humour.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ottolwinner

I always enjoyed The Crow with Brandon Lee. Story wasn’t too bad but I think what intrigued me was that he died before it was finished filming and it was completed using cgi of the time. I could never tell where in the movie it was. He was 27 and was added to that list of dead at 27 at the time. Maybe I was just caught up in the wonder of that more than the love of the movie but I did like the darkness of its setting.

the soundtrack was brilliant too.

im not sure many here would agree with me.

Thought Brandon Lee was great in Rapid Fire with Powers Booth. Don't know if he would have been as good as his late dad Bruce Lee regarding martial arts. Unfortunately we will never know as Brandon died of a freak accident on a movie set at a young age.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) Talking Pictures 3p.m. on Fri 22 Sep 2023 Alec Guinness plays eight different members of the D'Ascoyne family. A classic Ealing black comedy.

Psycho (1960) BBC2 Sun 24 23:30 so you can see what the fuss was all about.

Judgment at Nuremberg (1962) BBC 4 Thursday 21 21:00 not an action film

Mad Max 2 (1981) ITV4 Mon 18 sept - best one by far.

Superman (1978) 5 Star Sat 23 12:50 so you can see what the fuss was all about. followed by Superman II (1980) at 15:40

West Side Story (1961) BBC 2 Sat 23 15:25 ( a musical )

The Warriors (1979) 5 Start Mon 18 00:10 It's not safe to walk the gang filled streets. Even if you have a gang.

The Three Musketeers: The Queen's Diamonds (1973) 5 Action Thur 21 11:40 record for a rainy afternoon

Cat Ballou (1965) Film 4 Thur 21 14:45 cowboy comedy

The Lost Boys (1987) BBC 1 Sat 23 23:45 Echo & The Bunnymen do a good cover of People Are Strange

Bridget Jones's Diary (2001) 5 Star Sun 24 21:00 Rom Com

East Is East (1999) FIlm 4 Sun 24 23:45 Comedy

The Rock (1996) ITV Tu 19 21:45 It's a good Nicholas Cage film (when he's good he's good). And there's Sean Connery too

Ice Cold in Alex (1958) Film 4 Wed 20 10:00 - probably overrated but watchable

Death Wish (1974) ITV4 Mon 18 22:05 so you can see what the fuss was all about.

Warning there's a remake of the Magnificent Seven floating about, just watch the original again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anything with the great Tourmakeady man Robert Shaw and you are onto a winner. The Sting, and he was scarier than the f***ing shark in Jaws.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Showdown in Little Tokyo was Eightiescheesetastic.

I just finished watching The 1971 western Lawman with Burt Lancaster, Lee J Cobb and Robert Ryan. I had forgotten how good Lanscaster,Cobb and Ryan were as actors. Great movie. The 70s was great decade for the western genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I watched Spartacus, Apache, the James Cagney movies,The Third Man, and Benny and Joon since my last post. Angels with Dirty Faces is a class movie. I love the ending to it.

I watched a very good Edward G Robinson 1947 movie called the Red House. Here is a short synopsis. Pete, a physically disabled farmer, and his sister Ellen live with their adopted daughter Meg on an isolated farm. They have concealed a deep secret from her about an abandoned farmhouse.

Edward G Robinson puts in another sterling performance. It's another little hidden gem that Amazon has added to their library. Definitely recommend it. 👌

Post edited by toggle toes on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Great recommendations, some I like (even though some are fairly recent) that I haven't seen mentioned are;

As good as it gets

Falling down

Misery

Law abiding citizen

Due date

Advertisement