Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today’s movies are just crap, help me delve into some golden oldies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

What kind of genre of of movies are you interested in? Did you go through some of the earlier posts? If not I suggest having a browse. There are some excellent suggestions and I'm sure you will find some movies to your liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I liked them all except for the French Connection.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you like fact based stories about the crusades

Kingdom of Heaven

Arn: The Knight Templar

Icelandic films

Noi the Albino

Cold Fever - "the best Icelandic-Japanese road movie of 1995"

Ah yes, the ‘Harmy Editions’ of the original trilogy. Managed to find these online a good few years back. What in Gods name was Lucas thinking of when he went messing about with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Can't go wrong with any of the big actors; Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The ambiguous ending to the train is very un-Hollywood.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

To Live and Die in LA is worth a watch, very 80's, dirty and violent. A good companion to Manhunter, also starring William Petersen, who apparently had to give up movie acting as the two roles took such a toal on him.

https://archive.org/details/7.3-to-live-and-die-in-l.-a.-1985

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

"Harold and Maude" is a favourite of mine. I quite like those culty weird films, like "Sordid Lives"(2000) - Olivia Newton John as a lesbian? I'm in.

Entirely different but one that stays with you is 'Idi i Smotri' (Come and See) - a Russian anti-war film from 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Great Wang Chung soundtrack, have the LP and CD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Another one I forgot to mention is Spider by Cronenburg. It won't be for everyone, but Ralph Fiennes is very good in this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Once Upon A Time In America

Dog Day Afternoon

Primal Fear

Rope

Vertigo

The Third Man

City of God

Oldboy (original, not for the squeamish)

Rear Window

Good mix of movies there if you're interested in some classics across a number of decades.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wuxia Films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - which it's OK but way overrated

Hero

Kung Fu Hustle

House of Flying Daggers.

Then there's Jackie Chan

Police Story - if nothing else watch the chase at the start

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

Drunken Master

Project A

Wheels on Meals

Armour of God

Little Big Soldier - more of a serious one.

JCVD starring Jean-Claude Van Damme as Jean-Claude Van Damme. It's both the most Jean-Claude Van Damme film he's ever been in and the least Jean-Claude Van Damme film he's ever been in.

YMMV

The 1977 movie The Car. It tells the story of a black unmanned self-driving mysterious car that goes on a murderous rampage, terrorizing the residents of a small town. I have watched numerous times and it gets better each time.

Another movie is the 1970s Duel. Same concept ad the Car but in Duel it's about an unmanned truck that goes on a rampage. Another great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Hitchcocks "The Trouble with Harry"

Always overlooked but just sublime.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Have I mentioned the most Hitchcocky-like, non-Hitchcock film ever, Charade?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

The Two Jakes.

Underrated sequel to Chinatown that nobody ever talks about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’ve never watched a clockwork orange but just found it on my…….sshhhh, you know what.

Worth the watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Midnight Cowboy

Southern Comfort

Dog Day Afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Carried Away with Denis Hopper is a beautiful film.

Brilliant actor was the late Dennis Hopper.

Just finished watching the Excorcist I would say is the scariest horror movie ever made. The 1974 horror The Excorcist and I can te you it's just as scary as it was back in 1974. There's a remake coming next moth for Halloween 🎃 It will be interesting to see if it lives up to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Have a look at gross point blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Nickla

I don’t know if the following movies have been mentioned but here goes?

all about eve (and anything else with marylon monroe or Betty davis)

the Cassandra crossing - 70’s movie about a train full of people who have been exposed to a virus which may hav been a biological weapon and the authorities decide they should send he train over a derelict bridge.(stars Sophia Loren, Richard Harris, Ava Gardner, Martin sheen, burt lancaster, lee Strasberg, oj Simpson

breakfast on pluto - a real favourite of mine and an Irish movie ahead of its time, it highlights so many struggles and complex issues Irish people struggled with but it’s fair and adorable

Death Race 2000 (1975) Talking pictures 10:05p.m. on Mon 04 Sep 2023

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974) Film 4 11a.m. on Thu 07 Sep 2023 Guilty pleasure

The Importance of Being Earnest (1952) BBC 2 12:30p.m. on Sun 03 Sep 2023 - delightful adaptation of Oscar Wilde's famous play

Get Carter (1971) ITV4  12:05a.m. on Mon 04 Sep 2023 - Avoid the remake.

Manhunter (1986) BBC 2 11:15p.m. on Mon 04 Sep 2023 - Brian Cox is the best Hannibal

Time Bandits (1981) Film 4  2:50p.m. on Sun 03 Sep 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Electric Gypsy

I thought Blow Out (1982) with John Travolta was quite enjoyable.

Post edited by Electric Gypsy on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I watched Vetigo and North by Northwest. Vertigo is really good.

I have to say Kim Novak in that grey suit was one sexy lady.

• Advertisement

The Birds. For me one of Albert Hitchcocks best movies. Also Frenzy directed be Hitchcock. Very controversial when it was released in the 70s.

Advertisement