Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today’s movies are just crap, help me delve into some golden oldies.

Options
  • 10-07-2023 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭

Movies being made at the moment have become so bland and uninspiring that I’ve just lost interest.

The superhero trope was enjoyable a few years ago but it’s been done to death now and they’re all just boring.

Its a sad state of affairs when the Top Gun remake stands out as one of the best of the last couple of years.

I’ve never been interested in going back to old movies, I’m not sure why but I’ve never seen old as worth the effort.

Took a punt on Lawrence of Arabia today, mainly because his motorbike, the Brough Superior, is a machine I’d love to own sometime.

If you haven’t watched it then be warned, it’s a bit of an epic even by todays standards. My god it’s good though, what a fantastic piece of entertainment, the cinematography is amazing. I’ll have to admit that I have a bit of a man crush on Peter O Toole now too (don’t tell Mrs Woppit).

If you haven’t watched it then I’d highly recommend it.

Anyone else have something they’d recommend?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Only a few years old but a Polish film called "Cold War" is one of my favourite films, worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Something totally leftfield is the 1979 Russian film called Stalker. Gets 100% on rotten tomatoes and yet few have heard about. It remains my favourite film of all time and is 1000 light years from the hollywood clichés we are used to today. It's a slow watch but worth it. Think it's free on youtube.

French film La haine gets a nod from 1995, on youtube. 100% on rotten also. Dead man shoes, 2004, another classic.

Lilya 4 ever another foreign masterpiece, 2002. Depressing as hell but a devastating watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Usual suspects

Shawshank

great escape

Road house

Good will hunting

alien

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Glengarry Glenross

Millers Crossing

The Conversation

Shattered

The Big Lebowski

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I'd recommend these (I think the recent ones are a bit under the radar):

Walk Hard

The Gift (starring Jason Bateman and Joel Edgerton)

The Grey (Liam Neeson)

12 angry men

Casablanca

Wake in Fright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I have to agree.

I haven't wanted to go to see something in the movies in a good while. Nothing really catching my fancy.

Regarding older movies, I'm not going back as far as Laurence of Arabia but here's one example. We watched the old and new version of Matilda last week. Absolutely no comparison between the two. The new one is absolute shyte and is actually painful to watch and the old one is excellent (for a kids film).

I only watch The Field, and then i talk like Bull McCabe for days afterward.

"Go home yank"

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Birth of a nation and song of the south are two amazing movies, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The Town is my favorite movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Plenty of good movies still being made though the television golden age has stolen its thunder quite a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭nachouser

The Day of The Jackal (1974)

I'd also recommend a few Redford did in the 70's & 80's.

The Candidate, Jeremiah Johnson, All The President's Men, Brubaker, The Natural, Three Days of the Condor.

Edit: 12 Angry Men is a great shout:-)

Also, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)

Zulu (1964)

The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957)

The Man Who Would Be King (1975) - Sean Connery and Michael Caine - it's a hoot.

Saturn 3 (1980) - it's terrible but it has Kirk Douglas, Farah Fawcett and Harvey Keitel. The screenplay was by Martin Amis and he based the Lorne Guyland character from his most famous novel, "Money", on his experience of working with Douglas on the film.

Post edited by nachouser on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

A night to remember is a good one, I watched recently again following the Titanic submersible incident.

Great factual retelling and no mushy love story.

Fatal Deviation.

Little known Irish masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ben Hur (the original) is a brilliant film. I watch it whenever it is on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Ah yes, Ben Hur, love that one.

The Good The Bad and The Ugly is probably my favourite one of all time, maybe just for the score alone.

Everyone has seen all of those multiple times haven’t they?

If you think The Grey was a good watch then I’ll be ignoring the rest of your suggestions thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭scuba8

If you like westerns ‘ High Noon ‘ is a classic.

Deliverance is an American classic.

One flew over the cuckoo’s nest another great film.

the great escape is a war movie classic

Pulp Fiction is definitely worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just a few random picks...but all top stuff

Alien

Pulp Fiction

The Big Lebowski

One Upon a Time in the West

The Bourne Identity

Leon The Professional

Outland

The Getaway

Bit of an outlier in that list but a personal favourite 'Night On Earth'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Be right back

Citizen X is good. Think it's on YouTube.

• Advertisement

I’m now realising that I’ve actually watched a lot more old movies than I thought, I’d say I’ve seen at least half of what’s been mentioned on here and most are pretty good.

On a tangent, I just remembered the worst movie I’ve ever see, Atomic Train, was even worse that sharknado and Warhorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Arrival

I think it's an excellent recent sci fi movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

Watched Terminator 2 Judgement Day the other night. Incredible action movie from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Arthur Pants
    Overlord

Y, Stephen Rea and Donald Sutherland. Plus the guy from TV show Boon. worth a watch.

Gorky Park is also worth a watch.

2001 is a hard watch, bit on a side note I’d recommend the book. It’s much more accessible than the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Days of Heaven, The Beguiled, Heaven's Gate, Foxes.

I have strange tastes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you liked Lawrence of Arabia OP, Stanley Kubricks 'Barry Lyndon' is a good watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The Abyss Special Edition clears up a lot of the story of the original released film which had a stupid nonsense ending. It is now a great movie.

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen The Big Red One? Supposed to be a great war film.

Advertisement