Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pakb1ue

You can have three different fibre connections to your property. SIRO, OpenEir or Virgin if in an area not covered by National Broadband Ireland. Both SIRO and OpenEir open their network to other wholesalers (Vodafone, Digiweb, Eir etc) while Virgin only opened their fibre network to one other wholesaler (Sky) other than themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

go to bonkers.ie ad see if a new supplier suits , then phone your current supplier and tell him you are leaving his service and then see what he can offer. mine just dropped €20.00 per month for 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jimjangles

I went from 48 megs to 70 megs when I went from Vodafone to Pure. People should move away from Vodafone and onto Pure really. Pure also don't have some call centra in India or some other foreign country where they don't understand you or care. I remember Vodafone at the start of my last contract raised the price by 5 euros immediately after I signed up and I had to ring them every month to try get it reduced and after about 8 months of doing it I gave up out of frustration. I don't think I'd ever go back to Vodafone. They don't give a hoot about their customers and want to fleece them so don't deserve any customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭lau1247

Yes seems to happen after they upgraded their system at the end of 2023 from my experience

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Exact opposite experience with them. Have renewed twice, first renewal last year was at the same price and second renewal last week was with a helpful South East Asian lady over the phone. She understood what I wanted and gave me a reduction for the next 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭manatoo

I had this exact same experience with Vodafone. They screwed up the installation so I had very bad broadband speeds. It took them 6 months to fix the problem so they then offered a couple of free months and a reduced 12 month rate as compensation which I accepted. Every single month they overcharged, sometimes for more than it would have been if they had never offered any reduction. I had to constantly call them and talk them through their own billing month by month. I left as soon as I was out of contract and they will owe me money.

Switched to Pure Telecom €30 per month for 12 months and have had no issues (other than the courier company delivered the WiFi router and decided to stick it in the green bin and not tell anyone, which was then promptly picked up by the bin company the same day. Pure sent out another router within a couple of days.)

Also, the WiFi range of pure's router is much better than the Vodafone one was. I used to have constant buffering speeds downstairs which have disappeared completely since switching to Pure.

Was supposed to be a reply to the two earlier posts saying they had this experience with billing from Vodafone but i dunno what happened with the link

Post edited by manatoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭pedatron

Pure came and went today and no fibre was installed. They said 'Overhead' work was required apparently or so my partner was told. They were lovely lads but she hasn't a clue about this stuff (not that I know much!) so didn't know what to ask or say. Frustrating as I could see there was a previous fibre install from a previous tenant in the house already. God knows when they'll be back. Very hard to be present for an install with only 20 mins notice when you've a 9-5 job! Wish they gave more notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Must be treating you as a first time installation. Think that's what happens, they'll come & check can they actually install fiber, then come back to do it. Was it you mentioned external insulation? Don't think they'll do it if there is

Yeah it's being treated as a first-time install. I rang them last week and they said they are working off the ESB siro system and there was a previous fibre install with eir that's apparently useless/a different setup in the house already. Was given a date last week that my install would take place tomorrow. Then earlier today I got his text to say my install for tomorrow is not going ahead as:

'Hi, we are contacting you in relation to your Fibre Broadband. Overhead Presurvey team attended and it has been flagged that we require the assistance of the ESB to span the Fibre cable to your home. This will delay your install for a number of weeks. Please note there will be no additional cost to you. Once the ESB have completed their works we will then call you to rebook your installation. If you do not wish to wait or if you have any questions please contact us on 061529212. Thank you'

Sounds like this is going to take even more weeks to resolve after I've already waited 24 days with no broadband. Really not good enough. I live in a big town in Tipperary with a good fibre network. Surely I can get out of the deal I've signed and send back my router. Absolutely sick of waiting. Has anyone else had wait times like this for a Pure Telecom install?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭wassie

To be fair, its out of Pure's control.

Pure (and all the other Internet Providers) are just retail providers. When you sign you with them, they will place an order for service with the wholesale internet provider (eg SIRO). If there is no existing connection, an order for a new connection will also be created at the same time.

The wholesale internet provider will in turn place an order with their contractor to complete the works (eg Circet). Your connection will be scheduled for completion by the contractor. The exact date will depend upon current demand & availability of resources in your area.

In your case, you have noted ESB are also required to assist completing the works, so that will only further add to the delay. TBH a delay of 6 weeks would not be unusual.

Generally you can cancel the contract at any point up until your service is activated - but you should check the T&Cs as always.

You could go with someone else, but if you plan on using the SIRO network, to go to another retail provider would simply restart the whole process for you. And with Pure you are going to be readily able to talk to a person during the process. It would be a much more frustrating process with one of the larger Telcos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Could you ask them to switch you to an open eir fibre package seeing as the infrastructure is there for it?

Thanks for the reply. I completely understand it's mostly out of Pure's control but they're the face of the service so I need someone to moan about.😅 Mad that there are so many contractors and services involved but that's modern telecommunications I suppose.

Anyone I've spoken to over the phone has always been pleasant and helpful to be fair. I just thought it would be a fairly fluid and painless process when I signed up. Wasn't expecting such delays. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see can they give me some estimates on how long my wait will be and judge it off of that. If it's too long a wait or too uncertain a timeline I think I'll see can I cancel and go with an eir-based setup.

This is something I'll be asking them for sure. I'd imagine it'd reduce my speeds but I'll enquire regardless.

Thanks all!

Pure’s open eir fibre 1gb package is 35 a month with the one big switch offer that you just need to mention on the phone to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Wonder why they are going to install siro for you if there's openeir already there?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Wolftown

I switched from Eir 1gb to Pure 1gb recently, obviously both FTTH.

No surveys or installation, they just sent a router that I switched out on an agreed date.

There would be no need for any surveys or works if the house already had Eir FTTH setup.

Poster never confirmed there was Openeir there, only that "previous tenant had fibre but it's not fully operational yet it appears!" Could of been FTTH was never completed or service was cancelled or even connection may have been FFTC.

@pedatron - have you check online to see what services are existing at the prmeises?

To be fair from the following you'd generally take it that the premises previously had openeir fibre

I rang them last week and they said they are working off the ESB siro system and there was a previous fibre install with eir that's apparently useless/a different setup in the house already.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Out of contract with Vodafone at the moment. If I switch to Sky in the next few days will I face the 4% + 3% consumer price index price increase? Anyone know what date in April that happens and if signing up before it means you almost immediately get hit by the 7% price increase right at the start of a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

With vodafone paying €35 for FTTH ( 500) was due a 7.5% increase from next week contract is up in June was going to switch to Pure. Just got a call from them.offering me €30 a month with no increase so happy to stay now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I've signed up with Pure 1gb, with a new connection about 6 weeks ago. It's the NBI network. Last week, got a knock at the door, and a lad with a high-vis told me that they will be running the fiber cable from the pole to the end of the house, and leaving it rolled up for the next engineer to finish the install.

A day ot two later, got a call from the installiation company. I can't remember which one, but made a date to complete the installiation in two weeks.

So, it looks like they did a survey, and found no problems with running the cable to the house. I'd imagine if there was a problem, then I'd be in the same boat as yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭podge3

I'm just going through a nightmare with Vodafone.

I was a VF broadband customer for the past few years but the billing for the past few months has always been wrong - in their favour, of course. My contract was up about 10 days ago so I contacted them to get my bill corrected (again) and see what they could offer me for the next 12 months.

I stupidly accepted their assurance that the billing problems were sorted and signed up again for 12 months @ €35 per month.

My latest bill arrived the other day and guess what - its was wrong again. I'd had enough at this stage so I called to cancel the new contract within the 14 days cooling off period. I had to wait for a call back from the "cancellations team", which came this morning. The lady tried to convince me to stay but I obviously refused so I just asked to cancel the new contract to give me a few days to find a new provider.

Due to the language barrier (or on purpose) she cancelled the broadband service immediately! So no broadband at all now. I signed up straight away to another provider but the fact my old broadband was cancelled will mean it will take several days at least to reconnect with a new provider.

I'm currently trying to get back in contact with VF to reinstate my service for a few days but I'm not hopeful. I cannot understand any of the CS reps whom I have actually spoken to, or maybe they are being intentionally obtuse. The language problem isn't their fault, of course, their English is much better than my Hindi (or whatever their native language is).

I won't be dealing with Vodafone again. Like most providers, their service is fine until something goes wrong.

Edit: just a follow up to this, I was speaking to VF again (much easier to understand this chap) and they cannot reconnect the service for at least 24 hours and probably longer. I would also have to sign up to another 12 months contract.

So I can be disconnected at the push of a button but it takes 1 - 3 days to reconnect 🤔

Yep - unfortunately you cancelled your service rather than switched to a new provider. When you switch the new provider will automatically cancel the old service and handle the transfer. But to allow the switching to happen, you need the Universal Account Number (UAN).

When you cancelled, you lost that UAN so can no longer switch! As a result, any service you apply for now is regarded as a new service and needs new UAN allocated. I did something similar with Sky when I has issues when I had NBI first connected. Took me a week to get reconnected so hopefully you will be sooner.

Yep, that sounds like what has happened.

However, I didn't cancel the service, I cancelled my contract - or at least that's what I wanted to do. For whatever reason, VF cancelled my service and now cannot or will not undo the mistake they made.

A big problem with VF is you cannot email them. Emails can overcome the language barrier to a large degree. The online chat people can only do so much.

If I have an issue with VF, I use their online complaints form. Issue is then in writing and gets actioned.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Vodafone are brutal for that stuff. I once emailed them asking what date my contract ended. They cancelled my contract. And tried to bill me for the remainder!

Yeah, I'm going to make a formal complaint to VF and to Comreg. I know it's a total waste of time but at least VF will need to waste their time also in dealing with the complaint.

Lesson learned for me after this experience. No more VF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Whatever people (inc me may say) about Vodafone customer care, there were less mistakes and issues arising from "care" when things were on the old bill system. If its not broke, don't fix it. There's so many issues when you try to do anything like upgrade, troubleshoot, order a phone on their website, recontract now then before and there's no effort from them to improve this. They're getting worse and worse as time goes on.

Digiweb is excellent and care is great too. Eir have improved dramatically in recent years too except their standard prices are extortionate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I’ve been with Vodafone close to a year and no issues but I’m out of contract 13th if April but I’m concerned the pure telecom offer with one big switch will end this month

Does anyone thing it will keep going ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

i think if you call pure now you can sign up in advance of your contract finishing and get the price (it's only a fiver off their usual anyway). I signed up a couple of weeks before my contract was up and the switchover happened this morning. Noticed that Vodafone stopped service and so i switched out modems and Pure kicked in about 5 minutes later.

Advertisement