Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They have found it.

they found;

• The tail cone
    • the landing cradle/legs
    • the forward spherical titanium cap (with viewing window)
    • the rear spherical titanium cap
    • the carbon fibre ‘tube’ where the crew would have been.

I’m guessing the carbon fibre tube either looks likes the photos above, or it pancaked, and any organic matter that was inside the capsule (the crew) was instantly turned to pulp, and most likely no traces will be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Cue conspiracy theories that no one was on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

i had been wondering at the start why the US navy was not assisting in the underwater search. Now it all makes sense - they already knew they were dead, and it would have been a waste of their time to go doing some tokenistic "searching"

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

And they were spouting this whole mantra of having an engineering team of bold inspirational youngsters and how they didn't want to be led by by white 50s guys.

Well it just goes to show that all this young inspirational speil is grand, but they might, just might have benefited from the experience and more steady hand of a few 50 year old OGs.

To be honest, i don't think there is really much sympathy when billionaires meet their end. Most of the time they have gotten their wealth through standing on the necks of many thousands, making their riches of the suffering of the masses. Especially when it comes to the likes of third world billionaires like that pakistani fella. I won't lose a wink of sleep I can tell you. And the whole attitude of spending such exorbidant sums of money on these adventures when their countrymen are starving in conditions of squalar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Best interview yet, no sugar coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Where did the story about the knocking every 30 minutes come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭Packrat

See, in my day job, I meet mostly multimillionaires and many billionaires. Generally decent people who worked hard, were smart, and very lucky. Also some who just stood on everyone's heads around them.

I don't begrudge anyone their money, however I frown heavily on dick measuring exercises and master/slave displays.

If someone wants to see something from a different or better viewpoint which requires lots of money to make it happen, then ok, provided nobody else is discommoded or pushed out of the way in the process. That's actually my day job - making stuff like that happen.

Nobody will ever convince me though, that sitting on the floor of a frigging road pipe peering out through a small dirty porthole beats the unbelievable footage of that wreck which already exists.

Boliocks, - that's just dick measuring.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Very interesting that himself and Ballard (and indeed the wider deep diving community, of which they are central figures) believe she was ascending when it imploded, believing the warnings had already been triggered that the hull was delaminating…

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's documented that that mission was involved in the laying of CANTAT-2

and by the nature of deep ocean sonar arrays they wouldn't have been that close to shore

So please provide us with your evidence to the contrary.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭obi604

silly q. If the vessel, had reached the surface - why couldn’t the hatch be opened?

As claimed by OceanBros™.

Please provide a credible source.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I wonder is he credible? A lot of hearsay in what he said. I think a more modest person would have spoken about his experience of ocean exploration and left the engineering to the engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It was bolted shut from the outside with 17 bolts, although someone did post that one wasn't used because it was difficult to reach!

Even if it did ascend opening the door would have allowed water in so they were goosed anyway, unless they were lucky enough to be spotted as the bulk of it would still have been below the waterline.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

By design it was bolted shut from the outside and could not be opened by those inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,341 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is a lot of weird reaction to this incident, twitter being a real sewer if pomposity, moral outrage and nonsense, though there is no shortage of it on boards either.

Like most people who ever achieved something, made something of themselves, did something that benefited wider society they took a risk, were half mad and went for it wholeheartedly.

It cost them their lives.

Lots of weird talk about dick measuring and billionaires is just trying to add an edge to a story played 10000 times already. They had an unfortunate ending to their as is short lives, that's the height of it. They duxked up and paid the price, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,341 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It was bolted from the outside so it would have to be retrieved by a vessel and they would have had to get the socket and screw it open.

Fully informed of the risks? yeah right.

Fully informed of OceanBros attempts to wriggle out of any liability, certainly.

But an airline knows how well its aircraft are maintained and its crews trained, etc etc,. facts which may be unpalatable. A paying passenger takes a lot on trust - less so when there is strong regulation such as aviation - but still there is trust involved. When there is no regulation and a "tech bro" attitude then inevitably bad things will happen. Brought to you by the same morons who thought that cruise control could be marketed as 'self-driving' and didn't care about the consequences. Consequences which can't be erased by ctrl-alt-delete.

What is a good thing about unregulated companies risking passengers' lives in international waters, pray tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

True, However, Stockton Rush was worth an estimated 12 Million dollars. At a quarter of a million per person on the Titan, 1 Million dollars for a 10 hour charter is not bad money.

You don't drive a Lamborghini if you can't afford the insurance for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This has nothing to do with Boeing.

However, Boeing abandoned quality engineering after the merger with McDonald Douglas. The 737 Max is not an outlier. The Starliner has also failed to meet tests and schedules. Which anyone paying any attention to their engineering rather than name-dropping would know.

Everything about the sub speaks of using Agile Development. Not getting an experienced submariner to give it the once over is ignoring all the lessons learnt in blood.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

What an absolutely horrendous post. I’ve no clue how anyone can be so callous.

Clickbait rubbish. The pressure at the likely implosion depth was, literally, between 300 and 400 times greater.

One more atmosphere of pressure for every ten metres you go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Gusser09

There are only two ways you could know that.

a) If they communicated it to the support ship shortly before losing contact. In which case this was not shared with the public

b) Something in the debris field indicated that weights had been manually jettisoned. Again, nobody has said this publicy.

I'm sure he has good sources, maybe we will find out in the coming days.

A good cohort of pilot community kind of despised Boeing these days. Even looking at the cockpit ergonomics of a 737 versus an A320, the latter is more user friendly and generally preferred.

I am truly honoured to read the posts of so many Boardsies who interact daily with the millionaire+ sector of society.

It really is a privilege, clearly this website attracts not only the hangers-on of the elite of Irish society but, brace yourself Bridie, the entire globe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭Packrat

Mock all you want. I'm truthful if nothing else. No BS or lies here.

Are you that naive that you think that there aren't people in this country who do this every day? I'm one of hundreds who do what I do, just that I'm fortunate enough or good enough at it to only work with the moneyed elite who can pay what my employer charges.

I'm also a mountain sheep and cattle farmer in Healy Rae land although I don't vote for them.

Who are you or is that a pointless question, to which the answer would reveal that behind your condescending high horse posts, you don't really have a very interesting life yourself?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

The crew on the support ship took several hours to notify the coast guard. Surely they wouldn’t have waited if they had reason to believe the sub experienced an emergency, rather than just loss of communications? And it’s hard to think what in a debris field could indicate to them a manual jettisoning and not an effect of the implosion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

It's entirely possible there is clear evidence of an attempt to abort the dive. The only thing that implodes is the pressure chamber. Everything else will stay relatively intact aside from the damage from the energy of the implosion and contact with the ocean floor.

It may have been observed that on the cage portion, which didn't implode, that the release mechanism for some of the ballast were all in the open position. Of course it's possible that they all somehow opened at the moment of implosion, but perhaps there are other indications. Apparently the sub had 7 systems available to abort the descent and refloat. Maybe there are indications that more than one of these had been activated.

It's very early days but I'm sure much more information will be forthcoming in time. Deepsea diving is a very small community. Cameron will have contacts that know more than what has been released to the public.

Advertisement